Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
broooke

Granite Cost. Too much?

broooke
9 years ago
We are remodeling our kitchen and are still in the design phase. We found a slab of granite that we fell in love with. Our kitchen is not that big. Attached is our design. We were quoted $5,600 for the granite installed. We chose a slab called Glacier from Belize(also attached). Our designer said the price is right where it should be. We have 50 sqft(including a 108x42) of counter top plus the 1 inch overhang. Is this too much?

Comments (25)

• PRO
    SimpleDecoratingTips.com
    9 years ago

Whoa! That seems really high, but you piece of granite could be something rarer and thus much more high end.

I've ordered granite from HomeDepot for several different kitchens I've redone and it was no where near that price. But it wasn't for anything too special either. I'm not sure if they would have this particular style of granite there, but it may be worth a call. The last granite I got from HomeDepot, was on sale for $38 a square foot, just to give you an idea of price. And the workmanship and customer service was excellent. They sub contract with a local stone supplier in your area.

Hope you figure out something reasonable!
    Liz www.HometoCottage.com

broooke thanked SimpleDecoratingTips.com
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    9 years ago
    Sounds right. Granite is expensive but worth the price.
    broooke thanked Nancy Travisinteriors
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    9 years ago
    I stalkers are very important as well as fabricator.
    broooke thanked Nancy Travisinteriors
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    9 years ago
    Sorry meant installers
  • User
    9 years ago
    You should talk to the designer. What is you budget for counters? Is this over or under or right on the money. Granite prices vary on grade of stone and on location. NYC as opposed to. Columbus. If the cost is over budget, but you love the stone, try to find other places you can save.
    broooke thanked User
  • miacometlady
    9 years ago
    Have you shopped around for not only this piece of granite but other ones that are comparable?
    broooke thanked miacometlady
  • chickenlady23
    9 years ago

Hi Brooke, I too am in the middle of a kitchen reno (hell on earth, LOL) and will go with Cambria Quartz (which is typically 10-20% more costly than granite) and at approx. 61 sq.ft. have been quoted $4900 from a fabricator for my specific design, and I'm in the high cost-of-living area of NYC/Northern NJ. So I'm thinking your quote is a little high, unless like HometoCottage mentioned, maybe because this is a 'rare' stone from Belize. I think I've attached my countertop drawing for a visual for you. Best of luck, Helen

Kitchen Ideas · More Info

broooke thanked chickenlady23
  • Kristi Traynor
    9 years ago
    The piece of granite you picked is pretty spectacular and you're going to pay a premium. So, yes, the price is right. You should shop around for a different slab if the budget is tight. If you have the money the slab you chose is gorgeous!
    broooke thanked Kristi Traynor
  • PRO
    Cancork Floor Inc.
    9 years ago

To break this down, you will pay $112/sf. I understand this is in the "higher" range of normal...which means it is still "inside" normal = not unheard of for a price. Be VERY carefull how they map this baby! That amount of movement is either going to be stunning OR it will be the biggest heart ache in this project. Ask where the seams will sit! View and "innitial" each change/cut or else this could be very difficult if done without your FULL KNOWLEDGE of where each cut is going to go.

Several threads have been reported on Houzz about "my granite was installed wrong" when in fact the movement in the granite was part of the issue...the installation was "fine"...the owner didn't like how the cuts looked in the kitchen.

broooke thanked Cancork Floor Inc.
  • PRO
    Washington Marble Works
    9 years ago

Each fabricator gets to set their own prices, so it is hard to say what the price would be. Like others have said, a more exotic/rare granite costs more. For that stone, what we would charge would be about the same. It is a more expensive stone. (To put it in perspective, this would be considered a 6 out of 7 price levels, and level 7 has no cap for pricing)

broooke thanked Washington Marble Works
  • miacometlady
    9 years ago
    Granite price is also relative to where you live and where it was quarried.
  • broooke
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for your input everyone! I think I have watched too many HGTV shows, where they say that the
    granite cost is $3000 for a huge kitchen. I've been to Home Depot,
    Lowes, etc. and I am just not thrilled with anything else. I have been
    told many times that I have champagne taste on a beer budget and I just can't help that. :) My other choice was quartzite(of course, another very pricey stone) and I would've had to purchase two slabs. This granite does have a lot of movement. Our kitchen will have white shaker cabinets, the island will be a rich dark brown, and we will have a white herringbone pattern backslash. I feel like this granite will be our touch of pizzaz; hopefully without being too taste specific. Most of the movement will be in the island and the lighter tones will be in the back counter with one seam at the corner of the L. We are going to keep looking, but may end up biting the bullet and look for other
    things to cut back on. BTW, we are located in Central California. Shouldn't granite be cheaper? Or am I completely wrong...again?

• rolam1
    9 years ago
    It sounds on the high side for only one slab...I just paid 9100 for two slabs of quartzite fabricated and installed and am in the quite expensive New York area. And from what I understand quartzite is pricier than granite.
  • PRO
    Washington Marble Works
    9 years ago

Are you able to get quotes from other granite shops?

• cabingirl13
    9 years ago

Are you saying the counters and the island will all be the same granite? Maybe you can compromise and do the island in something else or do just the granite on the island and something else on the counters to save money?

• broooke
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, I am definitely getting quotes from other granite yards. I did think about doing two different counters(one for the island and one for the counters), but around here you purchase by the slab. You can purchase remnants, but so far have not seen any that go well with each other. The hunt will continue...

• Kivi
    9 years ago

It doesn't seem all that high to me, compared to prices in my area. However, if you're not happy with the price keep looking around until you have satisfied yourself with the going prices. Keep in mind there are lots of bad granite installations out there... and probably some of those were really inexpensive. I would be more concerned with finding a good reputable fabricator than finding the cheapest price.

broooke thanked Kivi
  • sandradclark
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

It just looks awfully busy to me. But it's not for me. You need to be happy with it. I tend to like plain countertops such as quartz in white or white marble effect. Be sure to have under cabinet LED lights installed. The cabinets sound like a good choice for such a busy pattern but don't know if I would go with a herringbone, but again this is your choice, however you are on this site for a reason.

broooke thanked sandradclark
  • Carol Johnson
    9 years ago
    It's about the going rate for my area.

Unless you can find something you can purchase by the SF instead by the slab. They are most likely selling you two slabs to do your install with this choice.
  • PRO
    Washington Marble Works
    9 years ago

If you are purchasing full slabs, that is a pretty good price for my area. We do SF pricing, and would charge pretty close to that, based off what the material would cost us in this area. Are the remnants yours to keep, then?

• Maggie Brooks
    9 years ago
    yes granite us expensive but thus one is beautiful. if you love it it will be worth the money
    broooke thanked Maggie Brooks
  • Kelley Dockrey
    9 years ago
    definitely pay attention to the mapping of slab since the slabs movement is very different from one end to the other. it looks beautiful in slab form, but when it is cut into pieces, you will have some pieces that will like a totally different stone.

I have not paid retail prices for granite in a long time, but my initial reaction was that you should shop around for bids from other vendors and fabricators.

you might want to look at other slabs of this granite that might have less movement if you want a more uniform appearance. from looking at other counter tops made of this stone, you should be able to find a more uniform slab.

if you had a large island, then you could use the movement in the current slab as a focal point.
    broooke thanked Kelley Dockrey
  • Glenn Heyler
    8 years ago

PRICE? PRICE TO FABRICATE AND INSTALL? WHAT? Hi Folks! My thanks to you all, as I am a novice as far as kitchens and Granite and Fabrication is concerned. I received a price from my Project Guy from a local Stone Co. of $1125.00 for each slab of White Ice Granite. I think it's a level 2? I purchased 2 slabs. They came done 2 1/2 days later, and they installed them, and they look fine, except for a few 'under-the lip' rough issues. The Granite Fabricators then said I owed them $1800.00 for the Prefab and Install!!!! What? One slab just needed a cut for the sink, and the edges done! IS THAT NORMAL? Pay $1125.00 for the slab then another $900.00 to Fabricate and install??? Can anyone shed some light? Was I ripped off?

• emilyam819
    8 years ago

Glenn, please post your own design dilemma. And on that new post, tell us what your original contract stated.