cleaning honed granite
witchy1
January 10, 2013 in Before & After
How do I clean my honed absolute black granite kitchen and laundry counters? When they were installed it looks like someone drug a rag along the eldge and I can't get rid of it.
Interiors International, Inc.
Call an installer and they can fix it for you.
January 10, 2013 at 2:19PM   
Margaux Gonyea
Hey Witchy1,

Thought this might be helpful for you! Good luck

January 10, 2013 at 5:21PM   
witchy1
Thanks for taking the time to send this. Unfortunately honed granite is apparently a different kind of animal.
January 11, 2013 at 10:55AM   
witchy1
Thanks for giving me hope and taking the time to respond. I'm waiting for the installer so hopefully... What would you suggest for day to day cleaning and cleaning the difficult rings? Anyone, keeping in mind it's HONED absolute black granite - not sealed, enhanced or anything
January 11, 2013 at 11:26AM   
Stoneshop
I would recommend having your granite sealed. If you purchase sealer, it is something that you can easily do yourself. Simply wipe the sealer on with a rag (a little bit goes a long way!), let it sit overnight, and then clean it off with your daily stone cleaner in the morning. While granite is very strong and not too porous, you should still have it sealed to protect from spills that may sit for a while.

We use Stone Care International's Marbamist for our every day cleaning: http://stonecare.com/Home?search=Marbamist
This company makes wonderful products, and the Marbamist smells good, too!

For more intensive cleaning for stubborn stains, we recommend: http://stonecare.com/SCI-Browse-Products/Stone-Quest-Intensive-Cleaner-8oz
January 11, 2013 at 12:45PM   
witchy1
how does a sealant change the appearance of honed absolute black granite? It must wear off, how do you deal with that because it wouldnl't wear off evenly?
January 12, 2013 at 7:04PM   
witchy1
Guess what? You were right. The installers were able to buff out the area and it looks great. Apparently my granite is sealed and they told me to reseal myself at least once a year. Thanks.
January 15, 2013 at 9:56AM     
Stoneshop
A regular sealer will not noticeably change the appearance of the stone because it will absorb into the stone rather than sitting on top. An enhancer sealer, however, will darken the stone and bring out its colors more. You can not really visibly see when a sealer is wearing off. The way to determine when your granite (or marble) needs to be re-sealed is by placing a cold glass of ice water on its surface and leaving it to sit for a little while. If the moisture from the glass starts to soak into the stone, then it's time to re-seal your countertop.
January 15, 2013 at 10:56AM     
Our living room is driving me crazy. Please help!
This room was one of the reasons we loved this house...
Window treatments for two story room
My living room is at two story "open to above" ceiling...
outside update
hello. I meed a little help updating the exterior of...