Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
annehau

Do I need 2 end tables? Coffee table suggestion?

annehau
11 years ago
I am ready to replace these end tables. Should i get two or just one? I currently have one next to the loveseat and one next to the couch. Seems crowded. What type of end tables would match best? wood? glass? suggestion?

Coffee Table - The coffee table is wooden, hiding a beautiful design on this chinese rug. Should I get a glass coffee table as well? If so, any set you suggest for end table/coffe tables for this living room?

Comments (11)

• onthefence
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Do you need and use the coffee table? We've had coffee tables for years...until we figured out it never really got used (was too far to comfortably reach from the seating) and it made our living room seem MUCH larger without it. I haven't missed having a coffee table at all.

BTW - your rug really is beautiful.
  • momx3
    11 years ago
    Well I love having coffee tables, but you can achieve the same purpose by using an ottoman with a tray on it. Find an ottoman in a pattern you like that goes with your sofa. I also think end tables come in handy for lamps and to set beverages on. I like matching end tables. If possible you could arrange the sofas in an "L" shape with an end table between the two sofas. You can get away with one end table and a coffee table if you do an "L" shape arrangement.
  • annehau
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    "on the fence" thank you! you know you do make sense with the coffee table.
    "JudyG" you do make a good point. Now, if I changed couches, the wall with the windows is 3 small windows which face the outside/front of the house. So the couches would show. Would that be ok?
  • momx3
    11 years ago
    Now I see you have that step down to this room. Just like my living room. It makes it hard to arrange furniture. With a small room I like it to feel as open as possible. So I'd go with glass (clear plastic) end tables to give the room a bigger feel. And I'd still use an ottoman. An ottoman can act as extra seating too.
  • momx3
    11 years ago
    I think it's fine of the couch is seen through the windows.
  • elcieg
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    You could do something like this picture. Hang just two panels, pull the couch just a little away from the windows…just a couple of inches. From the pictures of your room, I would like to see the sofa straight on, instead of sideways, if you get my drift.
    Jennifer Brouwer Design Inc · More Info
  • PRO
    Judith Taylor Designs
    11 years ago
    I you do as JudyG suggests then you can pull the rug towards the dining room thus revealing the centre detail you love. I think you will like that much better.
  • elcieg
    11 years ago
    Transitional Living Room · More Info
  • sheilaskb
    8 years ago

I would keep all the tables, but I would paint them white so that they would contrast from the wall color. I do not believe the end tables make the room look crowded. However, you could move the end tables to a hallway or foyer where you could place them side by side to serve as one larger table. I believe the striped effect in the coffee table competes with the print in the area rug, so this is why I would paint the coffee table white. Perhaps you can have someone cut a rectangular opening in the top of the coffee table and add a thin, narrow wood trim that would hold a glass insert in place. This will allow you to see more of the area rug through the glass so that the room will look larger.

• HU-742285014
    3 years ago

Where are those lamps from

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County