Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nextupchopchop

Any ideas for these unique doors?

nextupchopchop
11 years ago
We just bought a Post and Beam Contemporary home (basically a lot of paneling and beams) built in 1979 so these doors are not old/antiqued but rather dull and "thirsty" looking. Any ideas?

*Im painting the trim throughout the house white.(eventually!)

Comments (14)

• charleee
    11 years ago
    If they were mine I would remove them and sell them as interior 'barn doors'. Barn doors are very popular right now and you could probably make a fortune. Other than that, I would change the hardware to something more modern and paint them to match the trim.
  • creeser
    11 years ago
    Try giving them a good cleaning with Murphy's Oil Soap. They look like that have that orangy/yellow transparent stain on them that was so popular years ago. I would definitely get that off if it is. The first photo is how it would look finished natural. I think I would change the handles to something more contemporary. If you decide to paint them, here's some other photos.
    [houzz=
    Kitchen 9072 · More Info
    ]
    [houzz=
    Mill Valley Bungalow · More Info
    ]
    [houzz=
    Mill Valley, CA · More Info
    ]
    [houzz=
    Davidson Builders, Inc. · More Info
    ]
  • PRO
    On the Spot Furniture Revival llc
    11 years ago
    Murphys Oil Soap is not recommended for finished woods. The soap, as well as many furniture polishes trap dirt and dust, adding to a dull finish. You can try cleaning with odorless mineral spirits but test in an inconspicuous spot first to make sure no color lifts. If the door is still dull consider s a new coat of finish...it does wonders.
  • creeser
    11 years ago
    Thanks for the info on Murphys On the Spot! Explains why my mother's gorgeous cabinets made from reclaimed pine flooring looks like it does. We thought Murphys was the 'go to' product to clean wood. I'll pass along the mineral spirits and see if we can't revive them.
  • PRO
    On the Spot Furniture Revival llc
    11 years ago
    No problem creeser...hope it works for you!
  • PRO
    Oak & Broad
    11 years ago
    Also consider an oiled finish like Danish Oil. If they are thirsty it will take several coats but he grain will absolutely POP!.
  • PRO
    Oak & Broad
    11 years ago
    Norma, the lumber purists are gonna' get you for that :-) Solid wood doors should never be painted unless they are on the outside of a barn.
  • Norma Sassone
    11 years ago
    I hear you Eutree - I just am a white door and trim lover. And honestly the 60's knotty pine thing is one retro wood style I think deserves to be covered up! lol Oak, Cherry, Walnut, hardwoods in general - worth refinishing.
  • PRO
    R J Hoppe Inc
    11 years ago
    As a "woody" I know how much time and effort has been put into those doors. Please don't paint. Reconsider staining them a darker color. One thing that I see are the hinge locations, at least on the particular door in the picture. Seems to be far to high and far to low and there are only two. From all indications in your picture these doors are made of solid planks. They should have three hinges properly located.
  • sprattliz
    11 years ago
    dont do anything modern with them. your post and beam theme should carry throughout. they are beautiful doors that just need a little TLC.
  • nextupchopchop
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thank you all! This gives me SO much to think about! I havent replied to any posts because I just am not sure which way to go just yet. I will keep you updated with pictures as I start the journey....

R J Hoppe- we have not moved into the house yet, but on my last visit I checked the hinges and I noticed they are VERY heavy duty- they may be able to hold up a REAL barn door! Good looking out- and thanks for reminding me to check :)
  • PRO
    R J Hoppe Inc
    11 years ago
    Your Welcome:)
  • Jill Zimmerman
    9 years ago
    Stain them darker and update the handle