Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sue_mcguire

Remodeling our kitchen-help!

Sue McGuire
11 years ago
We are planning a complete kitchen remodel. The only requirement is an island with 3 stools. I'm leaning towards black cabinets with a white granite or quartz countertop.

Comments (5)

• PRO
    Susan Jablon Mosaics
    11 years ago
    Hi Sue!
    I think that black cabinets and a white counter top would really look beautiful with your maple flooring. I personally prefer the look of quartz over granite, and I hear it's a better counter material over all. For whites, I like Silestone's Bianco River, or White Zeus Extreme. Once you've got your cabinets painted and your counters in place, how about a new backsplash? Would you be keeping that soft sage color on the wall? You could do a beautiful white tile or mosaic of different white tiles to make the black cabinets even more dramatic. Below are some tiles from our site to serve as inspiration. You really have a wonderful kitchen to start with. Good luck!
  • PRO
    Stoneshop
    11 years ago
    Black cabinets with a white countertop gives you plenty of flexibility, and it is quite a timeless look! Browse through photos here on Houzz for some inspiration. If you are a little bit more traditional, marble or a stone that looks like marble is a good countertop option. If you have a modern taste, a plain white quartz like Silestone's White Zeus Extreme would work great for you. You could even choose different stones for your island and perimeter cabinetry for some added interest.

Here are some ideas:
    [houzz=
    Black & White Edwardian Kitchen · More Info
    ]
    [houzz=
    Sleek Caulfield · More Info
    ]
    [houzz=
    Whitikir · More Info
    ]
  • PRO
    Dytecture
    11 years ago
    Great examples from Stoneshop. I especially like "Whitikir"

Here is an idea of white perimeter cabinets with black island.

Modified Telluride by Candlelight Homes · More Info
  • bfost3626
    11 years ago
    This is a fun configuration to renovate. I had a kitchen this shape and we just did wall/base cabinets on 2 walls (L shape) removed peninsula and put a 5 x 6 foot island in with the cook top in the island - the flow was great and having parties was even better with an island that big - you don't miss the peninsula. If you can, remove the soffit and take the wall cabinets to ceiling - makes the room feel so big...good luck. You can't go wrong with black/white!
  • sluggodog
    11 years ago
    We did the same thing 2 years ago.. and our kitchen was the same colour as yours.. we went dark with Quartz counter top and I wish we did it sooner. . I included a picture.. we kept the back splash a white natural stone and it keeps the kitchen still bright with enough contrast and not looking too dark. We also did open shelving on 2 cupboards - something to think about if you like that look. Question: On the long counter (can't tell from picture) is it possible to do an overhang with the counter, and add stools?