Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kevincook

I need help to choose a color to brighten up the outside of my house

kevincook
11 years ago
I don.t want to paint the face brick but i don,t mind changing the color of the roof

Comments (16)

• nancy22032
    11 years ago
    Love the pots of greenery to soften the look of the angular walls, but I might paint the walls a warmer clay color in a very light shade. Perhaps this would pick up some of the reds in the bricks. I have always liked the lighter off-white that stucco was traditionally painted, sometimes called Spanish white. If the low walls were the lighter color it would make to clay pots really stand out.
  • kevincook
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Hi Nancy really like your idea what color would you suggest i paint the roof
  • PRO
    Dytecture
    11 years ago
    Dark gray would compliment the red bricks nicely.
  • PRO
    ASVInteriors
    11 years ago
    To second Dytecture's suggestion, the beautiful thing about grey is that it makes all the scenery about it pop instead of focusing on the roof. Given your lovely view, this would be a great plus!
  • kevincook
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    i was concerned about a grey roof as the brick paving is also grey
  • PRO
    ASVInteriors
    11 years ago
    I am not sure that is a problem - I think the two elements can complement each other: your paving has a small repeat pattern that mirrors the roof tiling - If in doubt, take a picture (even this one) and render it black and white to give you a rough idea (although a B&W image will be a lot harsher than what you have)
  • PRO
    Signature Home Services
    11 years ago
    Not sure where you are...but I've never heard of anyone painting a roof. I'd inquire from your roof manufacturer if that can be done. It might void the warranty? Plus, I'm not sure if any paint mfr will warranty their paint on a roofing material.

Beyond that, I'd go for landscaping via planters, railing, gutters to change your curb appeal...
  • kevincook
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    thanks for your comments,i live in south africa and all our paint manufacturers produce roof paint because of our high u v problems amongst other problems
  • PRO
    Peggy Poulos Interior and Exterior Design
    11 years ago
    Kevin, one of the commenters had said gray roof and that is exactly what I had thought when I first looked at it. I hate to say it , but I did not mention as I thought no one would get it, so I was happy to see someone else felt the same.

It just brings everything together, as said and when I picture it with the scenery beyond, it seems perfect.
  • kevincook
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Hi Mary, I agree about the gray roof and I am asking about colours for all the painted surfaces. Many thanks kevin
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Hi Keven,
    You could paint the house a lighter color as was suggested or keep it the color that it is but if you would take the brick color (don't get too red more toward brown and let the overall brick color dictate) and paint all the railing systems that color it would go a long ways toward creating an impactful connection between the brick and the style of the house. Also would creat more emphasis on beautiful horizonal lines of your home.

Actually I think I probably would go with a "Spanish White" as Nancy suggested to keep the areas in the carport area from not seeming so dark. I am not sure exactly what that white means to her, you or me, but definitely not a white white. I
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Also you need to address the steps going down your driveway. They look scary lost and create no sense of entry.

Perhaps two large containers on each side of entry to the steps, or perhaps the steps should be a little bit different material and/or color.

I have used in driveways red marble insets that have worked well. Perhaps the steps going down could be tinted concrete, with some ver simple red marble insets. Not over the top and corny. The tint could be a brown red/brown of course.
  • Frank Borszcz
    11 years ago
    We have a company here in Ontario Canada that can stain brick any color. Its called Permatint. They can stain anything clay. brick etc. I think your roof should be a little darker. That is my opinion.
  • PRO
  • nancy22032
    11 years ago
    It looks to me like you have a pretty warm climate so I would want my roof to be a light color - maybe a warm beige . I too have never heard of painting a roof - it is so interesting what differences there are when you're on the bottom side of the world. Isn't it fun to be talking with someone from so far away? Houzz you're great. Nancy