Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jschult2

Living Room Furniture -- placement?

jschult2
11 years ago
Just moved into a 80s ranch. Deciding on what to do with L.R. -- furniture placement, window treatment, lamps, etc. Initial inclination was to put sofa on the wall...but the room looks crowded so I tried putting sofa on the banister side. Thoughts? P.S. the burgundy wall isn't staying...will do a neutral in a warm shade. I have 3 paintings in a series of watercolors that I included in case anyone also wants to give me ideas on wall color...and any ideas on curtains??? Things to add to the room (I really only brought furniture with me to new house...no lamps, nik naks, etc.). Thanks for your ideas!!!!

Comments (14)

• jschult2
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Here is another picture to show how close the furniture is when looking straight on.
  • PRO
    Barbara Griffith Designs
    11 years ago
    It really is a great room. I also like the sofa against the wall. Pull your rug further away from the window, in other words, encroach past the railing. That will slide your sofa to the right and move the 2 chairs by the also down and separate them just a little more. Add pillows to the sofa & chairs taking colors from the great rug, choose its brighter colors as well as darker. A few in solid colors, but several patterned ones as well. Next, choose plain, simple natural/neutral drapery (95/96") to be hung high and off the sides of the window. Now choose your paint color. All the above will help you select it. I would suggest a neutral, but mid tone in shade, significantly darker than the sofa/chairs, but not too dark. Paint the ceiling the same color. Look at Ben Moore HC 172 Revere Pewter and HC173 Edgecomb Gray. For some ideas. Always buy a sample or qt. paint 2 coats on a poster board (not your wall) and tape it around the room to see how you really like it. And don't forget to paint the ceiling. Add some tables (could even be a trunk), not glass, and large lamps. Don't really care for the glass table you have.
  • jschult2
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    so I should paint the ceiling the exact same shade as the walls? because I usually see a designer recommendation to paint a % of the wall color..e.g., paint 20% of HC172 on the ceiling.
  • rosalielemperis
    11 years ago
    Please post a picture of the area where you are standing and taking the picture from. Is this area a wall or a space opening into another room? I feel like you may be able to use the space better instead of forcing the room to end at the end of the banister. Often furniture can float in a room to create a cozy feel. For example, the sofa could be placed in front of the window with a sofa table behind it along with two lamps sitting on the sofa table. The two chairs could be placed directly across from the sofa, but around 7-8ft away. Purchase a wooden rectangular coffee table for in front of the couch. The size of the table you have does not go well with the bulky sofa and chairs in the room. As for paint colors, I like the idea of a more saturated color on the accent wall. Brown pairs nicely with the light colored sofa (Kona -AF165 by Benjamin Moore). On the solid wall, you could use a large mirror or art or even a flat screen TV. Purchase some decorative patterned pillows to coordinate with the paint color used on the wall. These pillows will look great on the sofa and make the room look inviting. Make sure you choose a pattern you love. Pillows can be purchased at Crate & Barrel,Room and Board or Home Goods. Add a decorative metal rod above the windows along with two side panel drapes to frame the window. ENJOY!
    Rosalie, Home Staging & Design, LLC
  • PRO
    Maria Killam
    11 years ago
    I agree with Rosalie. I had a client that moved into a space that looked like this and when I arrived all their furniture was at the end of the room and that wasn't where it ended up. Plus this room needs a focal point, I would create one on the wall and arrange furniture around it. Maria
  • elcieg
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Have you tried sofa under window, rug rotated and two chair facing sofa, positioned so you can walk between them?
    Wendi Young Design · More Info

Here is another arrangement which may work, size of room permitting.
    woodlawn residence · More Info
  • PRO
    Leya Matalas
    11 years ago
    This is the way I see it. Instead of a gas F/P, you can do simple moulding and a ledge to lean your picture on. The framing needs to be updated. Id go for a non frame- frame. Simple. Good luck
  • jschult2
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    the living room flows into the dining room which flows into the sunroom.
  • tasia2596
    11 years ago
    I would think maybe some paintings or family pictures. And maybe a nice lamp would *lighten* up the mood :)
  • rosalielemperis
    11 years ago
    Are you thinking of using a TV in this room?
  • jschult2
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    no, I live by myself and don't watch much TV. It is downstairs in the Rec Room.
  • aborrouso
    11 years ago
    There is a lot of dark wood in the room. I would lighten it up with a light blue or aqua on the walls. No accent wall. Your couch and chairs lend themselves to a casual shabby chic look.
  • rosalielemperis
    11 years ago
    I still like the idea of having the furniture float in the room. Here is an example of what I am talking about. Don’t focus on the style of the furniture in this photo, just focus on the way the space is laid out and how the rug is positioned.

loo https://www.houzz.com/photos/modern-living-traditional-living-room-san-francisco-phvw-vp~803106

Here are a few things to consider when choosing paint colors:
    1. What are some of your favorite colors?
    2. Do you like cool colors, warm colors or neutrals? (Putnam Ivory, Manchester Tan, Revere Pewter are Benjamin Moore Neutrals that work well in most places)

You could always paint a neutral color on the walls and add a punch of color in your pillows and accessories or you could go for a more dramatic look and paint an accent wall with a more saturated color. Move the furniture, take a picture and lets see how it looks. Make sure you don’t scratch the floors when you move the furniture.