Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kjdick

Which fabric for window shades in bedroom?

kjdick
11 years ago
I currently have black with floral roman shades up in my bedroom with gold curtains. Although I do like the black I found this linen patterned fabric that I like for a lighter look.
Thoughts on this?

Comments (14)

• kjdick
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    This is originally what I had in mind for replacing the black shades. Is this better than the linen? I like the yellow of this fabric but the tan and grey on the linen print I found does make it a little different from the gold curtains.
    Modern Bedroom · More Info
  • PRO
    User
    11 years ago
    Much better and than don't use the drapery panels.
  • carole
    11 years ago
    lighter,..but i would go for a plain fabric and have pattern on the walls or if tht is not an option,either some cushions,or a quilt or throw
  • kjdick
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    I hate to go all basic and Pottery Barn on you here. This is direction I'm going with this bedroom. Mixed whites and a Kilim rug like this. I'd like to keep the gold curtains since they look pretty with the plaster walls. It's not a must though. No fabric headboards. The bed that's there will probably be repaced by a cast-iron or metal bed. The lamps need new shades. I'm still not sure if they are staying in this room or not.
  • carole
    11 years ago
    ahh,well,thank you for the information.....that does not change my idea,i still think simple on the window,specially if you are keeping the gold and then make it the style you like ;-)
  • kjdick
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Carole those are pretty rooms! I think it might be too ornate and gold for me. I like clean whites to make the wood in the house pop. Maybe I just need to bring a gold fabric into the room with a blanket at the end of the bed. I want some gold accent just not a lot.
    Interiors International, Inc. do you just think the window would look better because of the clean lines of the wood molding? Also if I remove the curtains how do I hide that the bed is offcenter with the window?
  • kjdick
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Of corse I would go and pick the picture with John Robshaw fabric. Whee..what fun. Expensive taste with a DIY budget.
  • carole
    11 years ago
    the pictures are just to find the style,i believe you can make any room look good on any budget,might take some D.I.Y and some clever shopping..but can always be done,you can re-use the curtain fabric for the gold accents,you can redo the lampshades in gold yourself too....but i like the lamps as they are..
    is this the only place the bed would fit? could you put it at an angle maybe?
  • kjdick
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Yes, thanks for the style samples. I tend to have a problem explaining what I like since there are elements from several different styles of design that I like. I guess transitional as plain as it sounds best suits me.

I'm good at budget shopping and repurposing. That's why I had to test that fabric on the windows today. For $5 it was worth seeing if it would work. Back to Target to goes though!

The lamps and some other furniture we just received from my husband's grandma. I was really leaning more to the contemporary side of transitional for this house. Now I've been leaning more to the traditional side with so much traditional furniture.

I'm tempted to go a little larger with the shades on the lamps? Empire shade maybe?

All our rooms are tight. The "master" bedroom is 9.5" x 12". I was trying centered on this wall since it's the wall you see when you enter the room. It also allows for my husband's not so small dresser on his side of the bed. I have had it at an angle and it eats up a lot of the room. I'll attach some pictures
    of the bed on the other two available walls.
  • carole
    11 years ago
    me too,better to look for the pictures then to try and describe it!!empireshades would work well with the lamps,and i see what you mean about having the bed centered to the window,but i like the set up on the top pictures...it is lovely to have family heirlooms and i understand you want to change them or change your interior to suit!! sorry will have to go now,but will post tonight with some ideas...
  • carole
    11 years ago
    if you have a problem with having just the one window,you might want to hang a mirror on the other side and put the same windowtreatment with it,but here are some other rooms with the same "problem'
    i looked at french bedrooms,it reminds me of that because of the bed and the lamps if you like the set up in your second row of pictures then i think it might work better if you put the cabinet at the window,would you still have enough space to walk around then??
  • kjdick
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Yes I've been debating if a dresser in from of one of the widows works. So far due to space I don't think the dresser would work with the windows with the bed in front of the window or the bed against the other window wall. Which is the narrower way to put the bed.
  • kjdick
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Pretty ideas! Think I like the third picture best. It's the least girls of the three. I'm leaning towards more crisp whites and gold fabric and kind of a pewter mixed in white some fun textiles somehow mixed in.
    Any thoughts on this fabric for shades vs. a Robshaw lookalike?