Which fabric for window shades in bedroom?
kjdick
I currently have black with floral roman shades up in my bedroom with gold curtains. Although I do like the black I found this linen patterned fabric that I like for a lighter look.
Thoughts on this?
Interiors International, Inc.
The lighter one is better but it is basically choosing the lesser of the two evils. I'm sure there is a better choice out there that you will find.
March 4, 2013 at 12:03PM     
kjdick
This is originally what I had in mind for replacing the black shades. Is this better than the linen? I like the yellow of this fabric but the tan and grey on the linen print I found does make it a little different from the gold curtains.

March 4, 2013 at 12:05PM     
Interiors International, Inc.
Much better and than don't use the drapery panels.
March 4, 2013 at 12:08PM     
carole
lighter,..but i would go for a plain fabric and have pattern on the walls or if tht is not an option,either some cushions,or a quilt or throw
March 4, 2013 at 12:11PM   
kjdick
I hate to go all basic and Pottery Barn on you here. This is direction I'm going with this bedroom. Mixed whites and a Kilim rug like this. I'd like to keep the gold curtains since they look pretty with the plaster walls. It's not a must though. No fabric headboards. The bed that's there will probably be repaced by a cast-iron or metal bed. The lamps need new shades. I'm still not sure if they are staying in this room or not.
March 4, 2013 at 12:13PM   
carole
ahh,well,thank you for the information.....that does not change my idea,i still think simple on the window,specially if you are keeping the gold and then make it the style you like ;-)
March 4, 2013 at 12:23PM   
kjdick
Carole those are pretty rooms! I think it might be too ornate and gold for me. I like clean whites to make the wood in the house pop. Maybe I just need to bring a gold fabric into the room with a blanket at the end of the bed. I want some gold accent just not a lot.
Interiors International, Inc. do you just think the window would look better because of the clean lines of the wood molding? Also if I remove the curtains how do I hide that the bed is offcenter with the window?
March 4, 2013 at 12:50PM   
kjdick
Of corse I would go and pick the picture with John Robshaw fabric. Whee..what fun. Expensive taste with a DIY budget.
March 4, 2013 at 12:56PM     
carole
the pictures are just to find the style,i believe you can make any room look good on any budget,might take some D.I.Y and some clever shopping..but can always be done,you can re-use the curtain fabric for the gold accents,you can redo the lampshades in gold yourself too....but i like the lamps as they are..
is this the only place the bed would fit? could you put it at an angle maybe?
March 4, 2013 at 2:07PM   
kjdick
Yes, thanks for the style samples. I tend to have a problem explaining what I like since there are elements from several different styles of design that I like. I guess transitional as plain as it sounds best suits me.

I'm good at budget shopping and repurposing. That's why I had to test that fabric on the windows today. For $5 it was worth seeing if it would work. Back to Target to goes though!

The lamps and some other furniture we just received from my husband's grandma. I was really leaning more to the contemporary side of transitional for this house. Now I've been leaning more to the traditional side with so much traditional furniture.

I'm tempted to go a little larger with the shades on the lamps? Empire shade maybe?

All our rooms are tight. The "master" bedroom is 9.5" x 12". I was trying centered on this wall since it's the wall you see when you enter the room. It also allows for my husband's not so small dresser on his side of the bed. I have had it at an angle and it eats up a lot of the room. I'll attach some pictures
of the bed on the other two available walls.
March 4, 2013 at 5:23PM   
carole
me too,better to look for the pictures then to try and describe it!!empireshades would work well with the lamps,and i see what you mean about having the bed centered to the window,but i like the set up on the top pictures...it is lovely to have family heirlooms and i understand you want to change them or change your interior to suit!! sorry will have to go now,but will post tonight with some ideas...
March 5, 2013 at 1:44AM   
carole
if you have a problem with having just the one window,you might want to hang a mirror on the other side and put the same windowtreatment with it,but here are some other rooms with the same "problem'
i looked at french bedrooms,it reminds me of that because of the bed and the lamps if you like the set up in your second row of pictures then i think it might work better if you put the cabinet at the window,would you still have enough space to walk around then??
March 5, 2013 at 1:06PM   
kjdick
Yes I've been debating if a dresser in from of one of the widows works. So far due to space I don't think the dresser would work with the windows with the bed in front of the window or the bed against the other window wall. Which is the narrower way to put the bed.
March 5, 2013 at 2:51PM   
kjdick
Pretty ideas! Think I like the third picture best. It's the least girls of the three. I'm leaning towards more crisp whites and gold fabric and kind of a pewter mixed in white some fun textiles somehow mixed in.
Any thoughts on this fabric for shades vs. a Robshaw lookalike?
March 12, 2013 at 3:07PM   
Am I going about this the right way?
So my daughters are getting a bit older, nearly 6....
Fireplace colour.
My kitchen, eating area and living room is open concept....
Exterior paint color suggestions
Hello all, We have been renovating this beautiful...
In which direction should I run my wood floor?!?!
My initial thought is to run in lengthwise from the...
Where to buy good inexpensive furniture?
Hi everyone! I'm going to move to a bigger house and...