Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christine1651

MASTER BEDROOM -- Is it Feng Shui or just Design Issue?

ScotExpat Cali
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

This room has never felt right. Bought house 3 yrs ago and cannot figure out what to do. WE ARE OPEN TO ANYTHING other than adding on. Looking at Feng Shui tips I see we should not have replaced the window with French Doors, sigh. We thought it would make the room look bigger. The closet should not have reflective glass doors. But worse problem is how to make it look and feel inviting? Definitely plan to put regular door to bathroom instead of the barn-door one. The closet doors definitely have to go. Should we drop the wall down so the doors only come up 7' instead of 8'? Should we tear out French Doors and put in a window and if so, where and what size? Could replace bed with queen and one that is raised and open underneath since Feng Shui disapproves of storage (ours has drawers) under bed? Put a small sofa at foot of bed? Put dresser -- where?

Comments (12)

• elainesteinke
    8 years ago

I don't follow or know feng shui, I just know what appeals to me. I always like a bed at an angle. I would place the bed at an angle partially (1/3) on the French door wall and partially (2/3) on the current wall. This will break up the angular nature of the room. I would only have one night table on the 2/3 side of the bed. Once the bed is at an angle you might have room for the dresser where the mirror currently is, or if you are closing off the double barn door space, close off the left side and then the dresser might fit on that wall. Definitely a very challenging space to furnish. I would remove the trunks and baskets and they don't match the scale of the large bed and dresser, perhaps on the top shelf of your closet if you like their storage and the look of them. Your bedding is an excellent choice, and perhaps a larger rug to go partially under the bed would help to anchor the large bed.

ScotExpat Cali thanked elainesteinke
  • PRO
    S Mistry Interiors
    8 years ago

Ceiling fan replaced with chandelier or fandelier if u need a fan

ScotExpat Cali thanked S Mistry Interiors
  • User
    8 years ago

I would ditch that mirror that's just resting against the wall. It looks too small for the space. Bigger bedside lamps and some art over the bed would anchor that wall. I don't know about a sofa at the end of the bed; a narrow bench at most. You might want to consider painting the walls; a soft sage green maybe? I don't think you need to do anything drastic in terms of changing the architecture (although I agree some normal sliding closet doors would be a good idea).

ScotExpat Cali thanked User
  • ScotExpat Cali
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Thanks. I should have taken those baskets out before taking pics. I had stuck them there temporarily to get a feel for what a piece of furniture might be like in that spot. And that rug was returned because I thought it was too tiny/weird.

A deeper color and heavier drapes sounds intruiging, and I know I need nice lamps and better night stands. As for bedding, this was the duvet cover of the week and my oldest. I change them weekly.

I tried angling the bed but it just wont work in this space and that is definitely a no-no in Feng Shui terms. And we must each have a night stand.

That mirror is bad from Feng Shui perspectuve too. I just need to figure out how to see to get dressed!

Fandrlier? The fan does have to stay because there is no ventilation in this room -- that's another dilemma and I'm ready to ask my husband to install a window next to the French doors. Or? Any ideas?

What about the way the door coming into room faces another door going out? How do I combat that bad energy?

Thanks so much all you creative people!

• countbla
    8 years ago
    Looks to me like that's the only spot for the huge dark bed in a beige room. Drawers are the least noticeable issue honestly. Side lamps look underwhelming by comparison, and style doesn't suit otherwise traditional furniture. As noted carpet is too small, and bedding is in between plain and pattern in an indecisive way, either get solid colour or a bolder pattern. No room for a couch, might be able to swing a small bench at the foot of bed but lose the chair if you get a bench.

Biggest visual conflict in the room however is the 4 different styles of doors, with varying opening heights, a closet track sticking out from modernish door panels, then there's a modernish track and grommet style plain drapes too high above the doors.

The double French doors add light and a view except those blinds block the view part and just make it frustrating that way.

Not sure there's anywhere else for the dresser to go, it's going to make the entrance tight if you put it where the leaning mirror currently is. Might want to simplify the amount of stuff on top of the dresser as well, small detail tho.

Not a huge room but has potential. Could also benefit from something to create a focus above the headboard, piece of art or paint that wall a contrasting colour. Maybe even wallpaper (nothing too wild or contrasty).
    ScotExpat Cali thanked countbla
  • Irene Morresey
    8 years ago
    Put your lovely rug up under your bed a bit, something above headboard, don't worry about Feng Shui, you are limited to where you can place your bed
    ScotExpat Cali thanked Irene Morresey
  • CB Mililani
    8 years ago
    Since this is a long, narrow bedroom, most of what you've done seems okay: nice bed, pretty linens, plus side tables and sconces to scale.

It is kind of irritating to change out doors, but the sliding barn doors seem large and awkward. I think putting in a regular door to the bath would be good, and probably some plain sliders on the side. Is that a closet? Looks like sliders in the frame might be needed since there's no room for doors (bi-fold, etc.,) that would extend into the room.

The rest is just decor. Less is better until you find things--art, rugs, etc.--that really seem in tune with the way you like things. Having nice light in the room seems like a real plus. If that's an eight-foot ceiling, a chandelier could be fussy.
    ScotExpat Cali thanked CB Mililani
  • emmarene9
    8 years ago

I would prefer a raised bed with visible legs. I think the current bed is visually heavy in a crowded room.

ScotExpat Cali thanked emmarene9
  • User
    8 years ago

Beautiful space, but I agree the bed is making the room feel heavy. I would not want to give up my king sized bed, but that is just me. You are limited to where you can place your furniture-I completely understand, since our master bedroom is an addition on the 2nd floor.

Embrace your limited space. If you don't mind a Queen sized bed, that could help make your room feel more spacious. Also, if it is in your budget and you have another room for your gorgeous bed, I would replace with a bed that has only a headboard-perhaps an upholstered head board will give an over-all cleaner look to your space. Your windows, window treatments, and linens are gorgeous. Would also place the rug partially under the bed as another poster suggested.

Luxury Residential Photography · More Info

master bedroom · More Info

New York loft · More Info

ScotExpat Cali thanked User
  • flsharon
    7 years ago

I'm sorry I don't have Feng Shui advice for you, but was wondering if you could tell me how you created the floor plan? Thanks

• laurie0714
    7 years ago
    This could be a very nice room, but there are so many doors! Maybe a pocket door for the bathroom so you don't give up that wall space in the bedroom. Replace the closet doors with by-pass doors (that match your other doors) within the opening which will give you a few inches of space. There really isn't enough room for the slider with the big bed, but could you put the bed in front of the statonary side of it? If not, remove it and put in a window so you can put the bed on that wall. Get larger lamps or maybe sconces or pendants to keep the tabletops clear. Good luck and please post photos of your changes.☺