Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crystal_shepherd

Can't decide how to finish this bedroom...

Crystal Shepherd
11 years ago
I really love blue and tangerine.I am keeping the curtains and my "relax" sign and the bedding(it's too comfy),but I will add pillows and remove the orange one.I know I need to frame the art if I keep it....I can't decide what to put on that ledge above my bed other than my letters,I don't know what color to paint my trunk(i need to keep it b/c my apartment has no storage,that's full of my craft stuff),I don't know what to do with my gourd lamp,I'm not afraid to paint it and it definitely needs a new shade.,also if I should paint my headboard and what color....I'm happy with the rest of my room though.I can't afford any big purchases,I'm pretty good at making stuff,and I rent so I can't paint my blah walls. I'm just not sure how to finish it!

Comments (14)

• PRO
    LB Interiors
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Maybe paint the headboard black as well as the trunk. Paint the "relax' letters dark teal. Keep the frame white. Also paint the night table black. Step up the pale blue to a teal or lapis blue. Get some pillows with teal, black and coral. I don't know your age, but as it looks, the room seems a little childish. Needs some sophistication. Black will give you a grown up and dramatic accent to your colors.
    Master Bedroom · More Info
    Newport Beach Project · More Info
  • Crystal Shepherd
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Yeah,I just turned 30! I've only recently started getting into decorating and I find myself having the "childish" problem a lot. I love color,I want things to look fresh and airy but it doesn't work out...I see what you mean about the black,it does make a difference.
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    11 years ago
    Black and white pillows as in the previous pic will be nice with the white bedding. I love the rooms above. Take bits and pieces from them as your cues. Good luck! Keep us posted with your progress.
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    11 years ago
    If you have the energy you can paint the walls a soft blue or teal.
  • jlaurern
    11 years ago
    Hi Crystal, I like the airy, relaxed vibe you are going for in your room. I agree with LB, you should add some sophistication. I think if you add some glam it can still be relaxed. You mentioned you were crafty, what if you added mirror accents? Either on the night stand- measure the top and sides of your night stands ,buy mirrors from the crafts store and glue them on the sides and top. Then change the lamp shade, and add either a small picture frame or bedside water carafe. And do a similar night stand on opposite side. Or if you dont like mirrored furniture, just place another similar white night stand, add lamp and accents( faux coral, candles, silver accents,etc)

I love the trunk and the color. i would keep it as is..
    I would also keep the headboard as is.. It looks vintage. Definitely add some luxurious throw pillows and shams ( crisp white faux silk,satin with texture. Just make sure it makes you smile when you walk in your bedroom and when you make your bed.. That's really all that matters. Make it your sanctuary.
  • PRO
    Marie Hebson's interiorsBYDESIGN Inc.
    11 years ago
    Here is some inspiration for you - always remember - bigger is better - less is more.
    Hopefully this photo will inspire you to commit to the coral and blue - its such a pretty palette
  • jlaurern
    11 years ago
    Just a few ideas.
  • varonjy
    11 years ago
    I would replace the curtain & rug by bright pieces. Curtain definetly white, rug... maybe something natural, and definetly bigger than that one you have now. My suggestion: Rug should be at least a third under the bed. And than you can go more on coral with the decoration. For example the vases (?) in the box next to the bed. And I would paint the headboard in coral x)
  • Crystal Shepherd
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    So many great ideas! Thank you all for your advice. Carolins,I love your pics. The Betsy Burnham one was one of my inspiro pics. I will definitely be adding coral and pink and going with a turq blue, but I won't fully part with orange. I'm probably 1 of 5 people in the world whose fave color is orange! Jlauren,I LOVE mirrored pieces and debated doing the trunk that way but I think that may be overload.Judging from the pics,it looks like I also need a bedskirt. We just had a Home Goods open this weekend so I think I will spend my day off shopping!
  • Carolina
    11 years ago
    Have fun shopping :-)
  • jlaurern
    11 years ago
    Hi Crystal,
    Home goods is one of my favorite stores. I can't wait to see your finds. Keep us posted with your updates. Have fun.. And love your space.
  • PRO
    Lydia (Kazza Design)
    11 years ago
    Since you like tangerine then paint your walls that colour in a more muted tone. Paint your bed crisp white, the trunk bright turquoise and have fun with the fabric for the curtains with a big print to dilute the tangerine. Add a vintage-looking changelier. Keep your bedding white and add some ethnic-inspired pillows and your room will pop!
  • Crystal Shepherd
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Lydia,it sounds gorgeous but I can't paint my walls. I'm STILL in college(ugh) and renting and my landlords are very attached to their "smoking lounge" white walls! I couldn't find coral I liked anywhere,I had to order some fabric but I am glad to get a new direction on my room. Thanks y'all and I will post when I'm done!