Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
corrine_caglioti_stevens

Help please! Need coordinating/contrasting tile for small bathroom.

Hello All,

I found and fell in love with this mosaic tile I found in clearance ($2.99 per square foot - how can you walk away from that?! Well I couldn't!). I have enough to do pretty much whatever I would like to do with it - just not the whole bathroom (which is soooo big at 5x8!). At first, I was all for mixing it with some nice neutral grays. I was thinking a full wall in the shower/tub area which is the wall facing the entry door with a "break" all the way around the room, right at vanity height. The vanity is a deep brown (almost black but definitely brown). The new tub, toilet, and sink will all be white. When I matched it up with gray, it didn't thrill me (unless it was a dark gray...but the room is so tiny I'm afraid the dark tile will make it vanish completely).... I then tried matching it with beige tiles (like a khaki dark beige) and I do like it - but I think its a little.... predictable? Too "match-y." I want the bathroom to look clean and crisp and have enough personality to not be blah and boring.... but not too over the top that I will hate it in a year because its too busy. I'm having a hard time finding the balance. I've also thought about making the vanity/toilet wall the focal point and using the mosaic's floor to ceiling there - but then I don't know how to make the rest of the room "work." Any suggestions on colors and tiles (wall and floor) would be greatly appreciated. I'm also not sure if we should tile the entire bathroom or just up to the halfway mark outside of the tub/shower area. Its such a small space I'm afraid it will look strange if we leave just that tiny bit un-tiled? This is our first big DIY project and I am so anxious to get started and see what we can do! THANKS!!

OH - the last picture includes some paint chips - I was trying narrow down the coordinating tile color... the brown coaster represents the brown vanity... don't judge. :) I have to make visuals for the hub... :) (and for me...)

Comments (5)

• Jayme H.
    11 years ago
    If I wanted a "crisp look" prob a light floor. Not sure about where u should put the tiles..can u post a pic of the bathroom?
  • PRO
    ReMax - Lisa
    11 years ago
    I'd stay with the warmer beiges than the cooler greys with this tile. Then I would add some glitzy stuff that will complement the shine of the tile, like crystal knobs for the vanity, and accessories including some bling lighting. My fav beigy grey neutral is BM Clay beige, try a swatch of it with this, its not too dark but has great personality.
    Good luck!
  • User
    11 years ago
    Looking at the tile, and with a dark brown vanity and white tub, toilet and sink, I think one color that might work is a blue gray since you have it in the tile and it would work with both the dark brown and white. If you have a small room, I think that you want the tile the same on all the walls. For instance if you were going to tile halfway up the wall, I think I would tile halfway up on all the walls. I wouldn't do a tiled accent wall in a small bathroom or differentiate between the walls.
  • Corrine Caglioti_Stevens
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I don't know how to go back and post pictures of the bathroom. Its small. Currently, if you are walking into the bathroom, we have a 30 inch vanity on the left, followed by the toilet, and the tub/shower against the back wall. There is nothing on the "right" wall. The configuration will stay the same but we are gutting it to the studs (its the original bathroom from the 70's... if that tells you anything of what it looks like! Its also pink...ish. Maybe it was full on pink at one point - now it's.... well, I'm not really sure!). ANYTHING will be a vast improvement but I want it to be nice so I am so afraid of making the wrong decision. Thank you all for your help - really appreciate you taking the time and offering suggestions.
  • PRO
    La Casa Azul Design
    11 years ago
    Hello! So exciting creating something you and your family can enjoy! I think your on the right track... I haven't seen the bathroom however two things that can be done are putting that tile on the same wall as the vanity and place a circular mirror over top! If you have enough you can extend it even behind the toilet and basically carry the tile floor to ceiling on tht wall... It would be an unexpected touch especially with the large circular framed mirror ... As far as the paint color ... I like your idea for gray... I just think you need a warm gray! You have the cool gray matched with the warmer colors in the tile . You are right beige can be a little predictable .. Try Benjamin Moore .... They make wonderful warm grays! Hope this helps!