Kitchen remodel
Southern Patina Interiors
Whats better - microwave over the range or a small hood.
I have a downdraft so don't need a hood per se.
Feel the micros above range have such a presence, but for resale, is this a better option than having a countertop micro? Thanks for your ideas.
Chris Duncanson custom carpentry and remodeling
Counter top micro is usually an eye sore and causes clutter feeling. The
Micro above range is more functional and is better for resale, however a stylish hood is also a much better look for the kitchen. Have you thought about a built in micro in one of the cabinets, I find customers always love built in appliances. That with a stylish hood is a great feature in a kitchen.
March 17, 2013 at 11:54am   
Southern Patina Interiors
Chris, sure the built in micro is a super idea, but don't think we can afford that. I've seen where folks have a shelf for the micro, and I don't like that at all.
March 17, 2013 at 11:56am   
If you are doing a countertop micro have a look for a corner hutch, they can match the cabinets and also hide the appliance when not in use. I hear what you're saying about the shelf thing, always looks like an after thought.
March 17, 2013 at 12:02pm   
Olivia
I like the built-in micro over the range look, but please pay close attention to the clearance over the burners. I replaced my old 70's style hood vent with a vented full size microwave. Unfortunately, the clearance over the stove is only 15", and the vent is not strong enough.

Since I use the microwave a lot, I wanted a full-size unit. I love the reclaimed counter space and the convenience. Eye level positioning would be the best, but for resale value, consider that eye level for one person might require a foot stool for others.
March 17, 2013 at 12:07pm   
Southern Patina Interiors
Ah yes, the appliance garage, LOL.
Chris, opinion on cab pulls and knobs.
I have lots of cabs going in. In particular, a 3 drawer bank that I'd like your opinion on what size pulls I should use. If you look at the drawing, the cab is next to the fridge. I'm thinking 2 pulls per drawer is adequate. My cabinets are traditional panel cherry.

Also, should I break up the hardware by having pulls on drawers and knobs on doors?
March 17, 2013 at 12:19pm   
Depending on how wide the drawers are and the style of handles. Here is how I usually do it. For a drawer of 36" I would use either two pulls or one long bar pull. In my more modern kitchens I like to use the long bar style pulls for everything, they come in all different lengths and can be matched with cabinets and drawers to suit. For a more traditional look I would do two pulls for cabinets 36 or wider. One pull per drawer of smaller size. And finally the pull versus knob dilemma, I find its a personal preference thing more traditionally knobs for doors and pulls for drawers but I'm not a fan of knobs. I generally keep it uniform and use all pulls. But like I said its a personal thing some people prefer different thing.

You could go to a big box store an buy a selection of different choices and once you find what you like just return the ones you don't want.

Hope that helps.
March 17, 2013 at 12:30pm   
Southern Patina Interiors
I agree with your opinion. I do like the bar style pulls, but might be too contemp for my kitchen.
Kitchen now has all handles and it's a very uniform look. I know it's a preference thing - just want to make sure my thinking is in line with someone else. Thanks
March 17, 2013 at 12:38pm   
DIAspoton
over the range. counter top microwaves looks like poor kitchen planning.
March 17, 2013 at 12:43pm   
onthefence
I want a microwave ANYWHERE except over the range for 3 reasons.

1. Ours is currently lower than code allows. As it is now, it's just barely at a comfortable height to use. When we remodel if a microwave were set to code height, it would be uncomfortably high for me.

2. Husband and I cook together a lot. Inevitably one of us needs to be at the cook top and the other needs to be in or out of the MW. It's always a dance of who needs to get out of the way.

3. I just don't find them to be effective vents. I know this isn't an issue for you but wanted to throw it out there.

My preference is built in to cabinetry at a height where I don't have to lift or lower a dish any more than 8-12 inches.
March 17, 2013 at 12:47pm   
Southern Patina Interiors
Good points.
March 17, 2013 at 12:55pm   
Trying to track down paint color!
Hi! My daughter would like to paint her room the color...
Dining room decor
Need advice. Should I put the mirror over the sideboard...
Best Dishwasher Detergent?
Some of this probably hinges on the style and effectiveness...
Has anyone used lg hausy minuet quartz?
We are redoing our master bath. i love the look of...
POLL: Tiny Houses - Yes or No?
Do you see tiny houses and long to pitch your belongings...