Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
southernpatina

Kitchen remodel

Whats better - microwave over the range or a small hood.
I have a downdraft so don't need a hood per se.
Feel the micros above range have such a presence, but for resale, is this a better option than having a countertop micro? Thanks for your ideas.

Comments (10)

• PRO
    Chris Duncanson custom carpentry and remodeling
    11 years ago
    Counter top micro is usually an eye sore and causes clutter feeling. The
    Micro above range is more functional and is better for resale, however a stylish hood is also a much better look for the kitchen. Have you thought about a built in micro in one of the cabinets, I find customers always love built in appliances. That with a stylish hood is a great feature in a kitchen.
  • PRO
    Southern Patina Home
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Chris, sure the built in micro is a super idea, but don't think we can afford that. I've seen where folks have a shelf for the micro, and I don't like that at all.
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    If you are doing a countertop micro have a look for a corner hutch, they can match the cabinets and also hide the appliance when not in use. I hear what you're saying about the shelf thing, always looks like an after thought.
  • Olivia D.
    11 years ago
    I like the built-in micro over the range look, but please pay close attention to the clearance over the burners. I replaced my old 70's style hood vent with a vented full size microwave. Unfortunately, the clearance over the stove is only 15", and the vent is not strong enough.

Since I use the microwave a lot, I wanted a full-size unit. I love the reclaimed counter space and the convenience. Eye level positioning would be the best, but for resale value, consider that eye level for one person might require a foot stool for others.
  • PRO
    Southern Patina Home
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Ah yes, the appliance garage, LOL.
    Chris, opinion on cab pulls and knobs.
    I have lots of cabs going in. In particular, a 3 drawer bank that I'd like your opinion on what size pulls I should use. If you look at the drawing, the cab is next to the fridge. I'm thinking 2 pulls per drawer is adequate. My cabinets are traditional panel cherry.

Also, should I break up the hardware by having pulls on drawers and knobs on doors?
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Depending on how wide the drawers are and the style of handles. Here is how I usually do it. For a drawer of 36" I would use either two pulls or one long bar pull. In my more modern kitchens I like to use the long bar style pulls for everything, they come in all different lengths and can be matched with cabinets and drawers to suit. For a more traditional look I would do two pulls for cabinets 36 or wider. One pull per drawer of smaller size. And finally the pull versus knob dilemma, I find its a personal preference thing more traditionally knobs for doors and pulls for drawers but I'm not a fan of knobs. I generally keep it uniform and use all pulls. But like I said its a personal thing some people prefer different thing.

You could go to a big box store an buy a selection of different choices and once you find what you like just return the ones you don't want.

Hope that helps.
  • PRO
    Southern Patina Home
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I agree with your opinion. I do like the bar style pulls, but might be too contemp for my kitchen.
    Kitchen now has all handles and it's a very uniform look. I know it's a preference thing - just want to make sure my thinking is in line with someone else. Thanks
  • DIAspoton
    11 years ago
    over the range. counter top microwaves looks like poor kitchen planning.
  • onthefence
    11 years ago
    I want a microwave ANYWHERE except over the range for 3 reasons.

1. Ours is currently lower than code allows. As it is now, it's just barely at a comfortable height to use. When we remodel if a microwave were set to code height, it would be uncomfortably high for me.

2. Husband and I cook together a lot. Inevitably one of us needs to be at the cook top and the other needs to be in or out of the MW. It's always a dance of who needs to get out of the way.

3. I just don't find them to be effective vents. I know this isn't an issue for you but wanted to throw it out there.

My preference is built in to cabinetry at a height where I don't have to lift or lower a dish any more than 8-12 inches.
  • PRO
    Southern Patina Home
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Good points.