Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dana_britt

Mounting an over-range-microwave without a cabinet

Dana Britt
11 years ago
We have a microwave that is for over our stove, but we don't have a cabinet, is there another way to mount the microwave? I still want it to look good.

Comments (14)

• PRO
    Linda Mayo
    11 years ago
    Are there cabinets on each side?
  • Dana Britt
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Only on one side...see picture. The area is about 40" wide and the stove and microwave is 30". The wall above the existing hood is brick tiled (real, thin brick). I hate my kitchen. :)
  • PRO
    Linda Mayo
    11 years ago
    You would need something to screw this to on each side. So if the space is 40" you would need at least a 10" cabinet on the other side that was securely attached to the wall. This is basically just a 4" box with a top and shims, screwed and glued on the inside to attach the microwave to. The box itself would have to be well built with 3/4" plywood. screwed and glued. It would be screwed to the wall on one side and the back and screwed to the cabinet on the other side. The microwave would have to be vented to the outside. Good installation would be critical.
  • PRO
    Norm Walters Construction Inc.
    11 years ago
    eagledzines, I already thought of what you drew, then thought against it. If you were to attach that 4" box to the wall alone it wouldn't support itself, so you are basically relying on the sheer strength of the screws driven into the side of it from the inside of the tall cabinet, and someone might even try drywall screws. That's why I didn't suggest a homemade fix.
  • PRO
    Linda Mayo
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    The shear strength on the screws, which would be each side and in the back wouldn't be any different than if a cabinet were hung above and would be supporting less weight. A cabinet would be hung the same way.

Good and professional construction and installation is a must. 3" #10 cabinet installation screws need to be used for the walls and the screws need to be imbedded into the wall framing.

One change I will make is that the shelf would be better turned upside down and the bottom should be placed in a dado. No shims used but the microwave attached to the bottom directly. The box would then be attached to the wall and then a shelf nailed down to the top.
  • PRO
    Linda Mayo
    11 years ago
    So to answer your question Dana Britt--There are different opinions, and whatever was done, it should be done by a professional.
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    eagledzines, your idea will probably work, I just get nervous reinventing the wheel, and then being responsible for it.
  • PRO
    Linda Mayo
    11 years ago
    For extra comfort, use a 6" box with two screws to each stud.
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    I just looked at the photo again, enlarged, the cabinet to the right looks like it is sitting on something???
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    I guess it's just the microwave slid under it, so scratch that last comment.
  • PRO
    Linda Mayo
    11 years ago
    Good eye. If this idea was used, the cabinet to the right needs to be checked to make sure it's solid on the wall.
  • Dana Britt
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks for your help! We aren't sure what we are going to do.
  • Doris Cluff
    7 years ago

Hello,

We are trying to remove the hood above our stove and replace with microwave. Our problem is the installation instructions on the microwave calls for 13" cabinet mounting and our cabinets only extend 11". Any suggestions?

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH