Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elie123456789

How to practically change a room for a 14 year old! on a budget? Help!

elie123456789
11 years ago
last modified: 11 years ago
Changing a 14 year olds bedroom into a somewhat contemporary but glam bedroom. She wants to work with Greys and blue more of a toned down Caribbean for the walls with grey and white bedding patterns and mirrored accessories but as on a budget can only get new paint color, move around furniture, get accessories and bedding HELP PLEASE!!!

Comments (71)

• elie123456789
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Like this without the mirror on the middle ad more
  • PRO
    A Crew of Two
    11 years ago
    Go with all white bedding so you won't have to purchase those for a while. If you are near an IKEA it is going to be your best bet. Also, Goodwill and a can of metallic paint- picture frames, lamps, vases, mirrors, tons of cool accessories to be personalized. Buy s can of chrome spray paint and update a lamp. Check the clearance aisles at Target, Home Goods for clearance shades. Get a white shade and trim it in a fun blue ribbon. You can sometimes find old chandelier/lights- paint a bright blue and hang some crystals from it. Use a cool chevron pattern and paint the backs of the bookshelves with a silver paint. Find some fun bath towels and use them to make pillows. Easy to clean and super soft. Add pom pom trim. Or take an old sweater and make a pillow cover.
    Collected Memories Mirror · More Info
    Beach Florentine Chandelier · More Info
    Chevron Pattern Stencil by Sunrising Stencil · More Info
    Pom Pom Organic Pillow Cover · More Info
    Chunky Knit Accent Pillow · More Info
    IKEA BILLY Bookcase w/PANYL DotsPANYL Multicolored Dots for IKEA BILLY · More Info
  • elie123456789
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Wow love the ideas especially the sweater pillow case! A d I'm looking for those type of frames that are like rustic... If I'm using the right word...
  • PRO
    Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
    11 years ago
    The shelves of the bookcase are sagging due to the weight of all the books. That's what made me think it was garage sale time. If there's an Ikea near you and if the garage sale pays off, they have some fabulous bookshelves called Billy bookcases which are the taller kind. They're $69 for a 31" wide unit. Maybe you could sell the old bookcase at that garage sale.
    Billy Bookcase · More Info
  • elie123456789
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Yes we have to get rid of the old stuff but for the tall bookcase do you think it will make the room feel smaller ?
  • elie123456789
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I also have tho gorgeous chandelier that I want to stay but would I be ruining it if I sprayed it with a metallic silvery paint?
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    It's beautifully painted, but if it no longer works for the room, then spraying it silver would give it a new life. Do you have a friend with a different chandelier who would like to trade?
  • PRO
    A Crew of Two
    11 years ago
    What if you just paint the green silver?
  • elie123456789
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Why if I paint the flowers silver so it takes away the baby pink?
  • Suzi Dunn
    11 years ago
    I love the chandelier but I must say spraying it in chrome is a fascinating idea!
  • PRO
    A Crew of Two
    11 years ago
    I think it just would look more grown up? Maybe? lol
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Regarding the bookcase, I don't know if it will make the room feel smaller, maybe so. I'm not sure what's staying. You said the hutch was going, and that your daughter hates the bookcase. I thought it was that particular bookcase she hated and that a new bigger one might hold more things while not taking up any more floor space. I know she'll want to display some items and the bookcase would be useful for that. Please tell us what furniture pieces are staying.
  • elie123456789
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    The bed, dresser, desk without the hutch, nightstand and the bookcase is either going if I could find something cheaper that looks great or find a good way to showcase it
    I would like to find a chair for the room
  • elie123456789
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Let me rephrase that... Bed, nightstand, desk with out hutch, dresser are staying. Bookcase is a possibility if I can fix it up.
  • charleee
    11 years ago
    These bins might work in the bookcase, you'd need to measure the bookcase to be sure: http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/202040769?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=martha+stewart+storage&storeId=10051&N=5yc1v&R=202040769
  • elie123456789
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Love the bin color
  • charleee
    11 years ago
    Me too! And actually the bins come in about 6 different colors, and there's a diy 'holder' for them, it holds 6 bins. I bought the pale pink bins and two holders for the top of my closet. Total cost was $200, not horrible. And I still have empty bins! I've never had this much storage before!
  • elie123456789
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I saw it in 19 different colors! I would probably do this to replace the bookcase!
  • charleee
    11 years ago
    Wow, 19 colors! My Home Depot is found lacking! Good for you, will you go with the turquoise color?
  • elie123456789
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Yes and maybe the ivory white as well like in the home depot picture but with white storage unit
  • charleee
    11 years ago
    Perfect color combination!
  • orangecamera
    11 years ago
    If you take the frame off the mirror, the mirror edges will be rough and very much not what you want on top of a desk. :(

Some glass drawer pulls on her desk and dresser will add a bit of sparkle, even though they're not mirrored.

What about painting the chandelier with her favorite blue color, and adding some crystals there?

Or....what about the blue on the ceiling only?
  • elie123456789
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I think we will stick with a white ceiling and we got paint swatches we are deciding on... Thank you for the mirror tip
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Maybe with the white ceiling, orange's idea of painting the chandelier Caribbean blue would look great.
  • elie123456789
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I am obsessed with spraying the chandelier to have the chrome look so I am stuck on that idea
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    I'm all for it! Great idea, elie!
  • orangecamera
    11 years ago
    What do you think of putting mirror panels on the back of the bookcase (the inside of the back)? This picture shows Expedit bookshelf with mirrored back.
    Naomi's House · More Info
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    I think that mirrored cabinet backs can be lovely and sophisticated in a space where the owner has a carefully edited collection of beautiful items on display, but for a teen with little time and a small budget, this is not what I would choose.
  • elie123456789
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I will show a after picture of the room wen it is finished. I think I have all the pieces. Should be finished in two month time. So don't forget about it! Thanks so much for everyone's help!!!!
  • orangecamera
    11 years ago
    I'm looking forward to seeing the final result!
  • elie123456789
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Me too:)
  • laraj20
    11 years ago
    Buy a full length mirror from Walmart, you can get them for $15 or so, then mount it horizontally on the wall at eye level instead of vertically, this will make the room feel larger and add a cool mirrored feature on a budget.
  • elie123456789
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Ok guys things are going pretty well with the room design!!! I got the bedding and some really cute accessories the painter delayed so now I'm waiting for him to get back to me. :( but I hope no one forgot because I am very excited to show everyone who helped.
  • charleee
    10 years ago
    I haven't forgotten! Can't wait!
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    We're absolutely excited and eager!
  • elie123456789
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Ok guys here it is! I love it and so does my daughter!! The only things that are not completed is painting the flowers on the chandelier and possibly painting the vanity silver as well. We kept hutch because it helped showcase pretty items I have found and why put in new shelving when you have the hutch already.i love the paint color because it a very calm and I think it goes very nicely with the bedding that took me a very long time to find. I'm working with pillows still as my daughter does not like the button one and I want the bed to look fuller, but overall I think with all the vintage and some blueish accessories it turned out great! My daughter and I love
  • charleee
    10 years ago
    Uh oh, pic didn't attach! Try again?
  • elie123456789
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Ok guys here it is!!! My daughter and I love it! The only things that are not completed is the painting of the chandelier flowers and possibly the vanity chrome. I love all the vintage accessories thAt have blue finishes. The pair color was chosen over a long discussion but I think it goes very nicely with the bedding. the throw pillows are not complete as i am returning the button one, because my daughter does by like it an i want the bed to look for full. The curtains with the tie backs is
    my favorite thought, because it gives the room a softer feel. I would like to add a big round mirror over the vanity and get some pictures up on the walls. I covered the seats of the vanity and the desk chair with simple bone colored fabric. Overall I love this space and so does my daughter!! Hope I did a good job.
  • elie123456789
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Some more...
  • charleee
    10 years ago
    Sweet! Your daughter is a lucky lady!
  • elie123456789
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    And I have diamond end curtain rods... Also the bedding close up...and some nice picture frames
  • elie123456789
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    More...
  • PRO
    A Crew of Two
    10 years ago
    It looks great! A thought for the walls, to add some interest and inexpensively...get some cool fabrics and stretch them on frames.
    Juana de Arco Fabric · More Info
    Khanjali Glacier Fabric by Renee's Fabrics · More Info
    Peony Fabric by Victoria Larson Textiles · More Info
    Summer Palace Fret, Wisteria · More Info
  • orangecamera
    10 years ago
    Wow, you've done a really nice job. Much more sophisticated, and I'm glad you both love it. I particularly love the bedding, where did you get it?
  • elie123456789
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    At bed bath and beyond! It's called the Mykonos
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    The two of you have created a charming room, and that all by itself is wonderful, but I think what is even better is the loving memories you'll both have of doing this project together.
  • groveraxle
    10 years ago
    elie, what a remarkable transformation. You and your daughter rock!
  • elie123456789
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    THANKS!
  • PRO
    We Got Lites
    10 years ago
    Your daughter may like a fresh and glam crystal chandelier, and you'll certainly like the price (only $149.00) http://www.wegotlites.net/Victorian-Design-4-Light-25-Chrome-or-Gold-Petite-Chandelier-with-European-or-Swarovski-Crystal-SKU-41559_p_41559.html

I think this will transform the room, and go well with the theme. Also maybe try a plush rug from Ikea, very affordable and will make this area feel very luxurious with the mirrored furniture.

Good luck!

WeGotLites
  • elie123456789
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks but I think I spent enough $ haha