Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pennyream

Countertop choices-kitchen

pennyream
11 years ago
I'm confused--is marble a good choice or too risky for a kitchen countertop? some "experts" say "too risky-stains easily, scratches" others "new sealers protect it very well" "Romans used it & not too worried abt it"

Anyone with experience with marble? (or same concerns with soapsotne)?

Comments (94)

• Joe Wirtz
    11 years ago
    If the discussions on Houzz revolve around how cool soapstone was in high school aren't you all missing the point? Isn't this discussion thread about the beauty and maintenance of marble and if it can hold up in a kitchen environment? If that's the professional challenge - to have open discussions and learn from each other - than cool let's keep up the healthy dialog. BUT, if people are going to act rude and disrespectful then nothing will ever be accomplished here. Some of you on this thread have been very open and have listened to the options. Some have not. That's your choice. But if someone comes in with what is a new idea or a new way to do something and they are bombarded with comments not based in reality then isn't that harmful to the knowledge base of the users within Houzz?

I'm pretty new to Houzz, because I've always been involved in threaded discussions with Stone Professionals. These types of threads happen there once in a while. If you want to remain this close knit family doing the same thing over and over then why waste your time on this site? I thought it was about helping each other.

Clearstone will be available and someday you may have a client that loves marble as much as our applicators clients do. Maybe we'll cross paths again.

Good luck.
  • feeny
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Soapstone came up as part of the original poster's question (see last sentence of original design dilemma) and then again because you inaccurately listed it as one of the materials that was subject to acid-etching, Clearstone. I pointed out this was factually incorrect and Jayme became interested in this information. Where Houzz discussions will end up wandering is anyone's guess, but this one has at least managed to stay on the subject of the pros and cons and history of countertop materials, which is actually remarkably on topic for the 43rd comment in a Houzz design discussion. Many of them wander much further afield. But the purpose of design discussions is primarily informational, not promotional, so you might want to keep that in mind.
  • PRO
    Carolyn C. Interior Decorator, Brampton, ON.
    11 years ago
    JDM, that's what I was referring to above, but I didn't put on the "ite" I just said natural quartz. Love it, it's beautiful and has the softer look of marble. Thanks for the clarification.

I would be interested in more information from Clearstone and if it is available in Canada
  • nchampagne
    11 years ago
    Omg, can't we all get along?
  • PRO
    Ironwood Builders
    11 years ago
    Sorry you felt so put upon, Clearstone. I was not trying to be rude...we have different points of view and I was expressing mine. That we disagreed has put out a lot of information for houzzers to digest. I'm surprised that the mention of your product's use on other materials came so late to the discussion. Most posts (and I apologize deeply to our OP) do head off on tangents, especially if the subject arouses passionate responses.

Thread jacking yet again....for a number of years (maybe 20?) the lab counters in most new facilities have been made of a product called Fireslate. I've done kitchen counters in it as well. Here is a link if anyone is interested...

http://www.fireslate.com/pages/home.cfm
  • Jayme H.
    11 years ago
    @Clearstone..Are u saying, since you referenced me, that my learning something new about soapstone and thanking someone was inappropriate? I do not understand how this is "not based in reality". I thought it was a countertop discussion. Often threads twist and turn and people end up using an entirely different product than they initially posted about, which is not an out of this world occurrence. I am in the market for countertops, so I am interested in learning more about different types..And yes, I was glad to have a "face" to put to soapstone...as I thought I had never seen it in person..but have since in highschool and college, I had classes in labs.
  • PRO
    Ironwood Builders
    11 years ago
    Hugely thread jacking again....judyg, I have to agree with Clearstone on Houzz' marketing plan to pros like me. I attended a Houzz seminar for new pros and they actively promoted to us the benefits of using Houzz for job leads. Some of MY early posts were attempts to make connections with potential clients. I soon learned that the "promotional" aspect of the discussions is frowned upon by the general group. I changed my tack and give as much as I can to help others learn, fix and survive the renovation, building, redecorating or remodeling process. If anything at all comes my way through the gifts I give, great. If not, I have the benefit of knowing that my positive attitude (well, sometimes) and years of experience have helped others in ways that enhance their lives. Knowledge is power...sharing knowledge is more powerful.
  • Jayme H.
    11 years ago
    Agree with Ironwood! Plus when u try to help people they remember it and often make referrals, another way to gain business.
  • kimdee24
    11 years ago
    That's a great attitude, Mr. Ironwood. Personally, and if you were in my area of course, I would hire you in a heartbeat -- because of that, rather than someone who is using a forum as a blatant marketing push for products and services. Potential customers always see through that kind of thing. And as a design/marketing professional myself, I can say that a demonstration of knowledge and skills is far better tool than than a hard sell pitch, in this type venue, hands down. Often in business, good turns done generate new and repeat customers/referrals down the road... and both parties win!
  • Emily H
    11 years ago
    Hi everyone, Wow! Who knew counter top discussions could be so spirited? :) There has been some great information provided for everyone. I know I have been educated as well. Thanks to all for your participation. Let's remember to be polite and focus on the question and discussion on hand rather than individual posters. Thanks!
  • charleee
    11 years ago
    Emily, good job :))
  • olldroo
    11 years ago
    Whatever happened to the good old days of Laminex. No wonder they were called the "Good Old Days", we have so confused our lives with choices.
  • Ann
    11 years ago
    After just having quartzite installed a month ago, I'm another huge fan of quartzite. I think it's the perfect solution for someone wanting a marble look with a product tougher than granite. I don't think I could damage my new leathered quartzite if I tried!
  • Jayme H.
    11 years ago
    I am very interested in different products..for myself as well as for making business recommendations..so I am going to research quarzite also..thanks Ann!
  • PRO
    Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
    11 years ago
    @Ironwood: lunch, Granite Bay area, Dec. 26?
  • PRO
    Ironwood Builders
    11 years ago
    I'll be there Carolyn...if I'm still breathing! Really looking forward to it!
  • revss
    11 years ago
    Whew! I've fallen in love with an Italian Laminate found in a Scavolini design book. Formica has a similar color (raspberry-like.) Will use it with SW Light French Gray upper cabs, SW Peppercorn bases, Eider White for ceiling and the minimal wall space, resilient flooring (health reasons) containing those 3 colors. Wish I could get more imput re laminate countertops from real users! A good builder told me to check them out. At this stage of life I wanted some pizazz in an otherwise neutral space; new buyers can always change it easily!
  • olldroo
    11 years ago
    revss - I have heard laminate is coming back again. When we built our house nearly 50 years ago, it was pretty much all there was and mine lasted over 25 years. It was still good when we replaced it, we only did so because we reconfigured the bench top. It did have a couple of scratches on it where someone else was in the house sliced food without a chopping board but other than commonsense use, there was never a problem, I don't ever remember regretting having it. I hope to redo my kitchen early next year and while I have always wanted Corian, I'm now thinking of going back to Laminex to save a few $$$ towards other things.
  • revss
    11 years ago
    Same here. Just wish I could find the Italian manufacturer, but shipping from Italy would defeat the purpose!!! Thanks for sharing. Another color I liked is by Durat-in Findland, no less.
  • Joe Wirtz
    11 years ago
    Typographical error. On my earlier post I was listing natural stones that acid-etch and I listed soapstone. I meant to type sandstone. My bad. Sandstone both etches and stains. Apparently Houzz viewers are not marble lovers (and that is my field of expertise) so I will bow out of discussions. Good luck with your endeavors.
  • PRO
    Twisted Minds Custom Designs
    11 years ago
    Poor pennyream, they started out four days ago confused, I can only imagine how they must feel now. Please respond to this posting and let us know if you gained any insight into your query. From now on I think everyone will play nice, so if you have fresh questions, feel free to ask and start anew.
  • PRO
    Carolyn C. Interior Decorator, Brampton, ON.
    11 years ago
    Clearstone, I think it's more that through experience marble, in the North American market, for people who can't afford to change their counters at a whim, we've shied away (did I spell that correctly :-) ) from it because of the softness, etching issues etc. not because we don't like it. Perhaps over time your product will change that for everyone. It just takes time and the willingness to learn. I think we all have our clients best interests at heart and just don't want them to have problems.

I will keep my eye on your product as personally I love marble, but didn't even put it in my own kitchen because of the fact that my husband likes everything to look new and perfect and I was very afraid that I would end up with problems with the marble. I did use it on a baking centre in a clients kitchen and it did etch from lemon even though it was very well sealed.

Where can I learn more about your product.

Thanks.
  • PRO
    Nick Dellos Creations
    11 years ago
    Clearstone, I hear you and think you are trying to fairly represent your product. If your sealer works, then it is a great product for builders such as myself who are constantly "nagging" at eager homeowners to not use marble in the kitchen unless they are OK with stains.

I hate to be the grumpy naysayer of a beautiful product, but homeowners, as much as I love them, will forget my warnings of the past and blame me in some small part if I didn't put up a "big enough stink" trying to warn them of the pitfalls of kitchen marble use.

Marble is a fantastic and unique gift of nature, full of its own characteristic beauty and richness, un-reproducable by manmade substitutes. I would love to tell people that with a proper sealing, it can once again be a choice for a working kitchen!

There are marble lovers here :)
  • jacqueswoens
    11 years ago
    Hahah at remax!
  • maureenroth
    11 years ago
    Ok, another minority opinion here, but I chose 'fire onyx' for my kitchen island. I do cook a lot and know that it is a very soft product, like marble, although, because of its dark color, does not show stains as easily. It does, however, etch and scratch and I am interested in products that will protect and prevent further damage. The stone is something I consider to be a beautiful, natural work of art and something that no man-made stone can equal. I made my choice with eyes open. There is no perfect product for everyone, and I hope that we can have lively discussions about these things and still be respectful of differing opinions.
  • PRO
    JDM Countertops, Inc.
    11 years ago
    Clearstone, as a fabricator I have a couple of questions about your product since I know very little. How thick is the coating over the stone, since from what I understand you've said it doesn't penetrate the stone, but adheres to the top? Is this removable if down the road something happens to the stone and it needs repair? What is the fabricator's liability, and do you offer a warranty? Just trying to gain a better understanding of exactly how it functions and perhaps the pros and cons.
  • charleee
    11 years ago
    JDM, those are great questions :))....Bobbi
  • maureenroth
    11 years ago
    I'd also like to know if this product can only be applied professionally.
  • Jayme H.
    11 years ago
    And info on cost would also be helpful
  • PRO
    Ironwood Builders
    11 years ago
    Jayme, I believe one of Clearcoat's clients (through a trained applicator) said $12-$15 per sq. ft. i could be wrong on that...just my recollection.
  • PRO
    ReMax - Lisa
    11 years ago
    Clearstone, please come back! We have good questions.......
  • PRO
    LouAnne Designs
    11 years ago
    My take, if one truly loves the beauty of marble & there is no changing their minds on it then protect your investment. Know the nature of this un engineered stone & take serious care in the maintenance of it, with that you can enjoy marble for life. Goodluck!
  • PRO
    Joseph F. Yencho, Design/Builder
    11 years ago
    As with any product, you have to read the "fine print". I have read " ClearCoat's" and it is not something I would use. However , if you can live with the " warranty requirements" then go for it.
  • charleee
    11 years ago
    Whoa! Mr. Yencho, what about it discourages you?
  • Joe Wirtz
    11 years ago
    Clearstone offers a manufacturers warranty against acid-etching and staining for a minimum 15 years. I write "minimum" because, when the manufacturer turned 16 years old last year they increased their warranty from 10 to 15 years. We expect to increase the warranty again as the company gets even older! It is to be noted that there will be a need about 7-10 years after install when an applicator will need to come in and repeat the last couple grits of sanding to remove little scratches that accumulate over time. That being said, there are many applications around the world that have been in place for more than 10 years with no scratches. Since the product is relatively new in the United States the longest running application is on a bar top in a Las Vegas hotel - no scratches after 16 months now. I have concierge desks and public bathroom tops installed for 11 months with no scratches also. If a scratch happens it can easily and quickly be repaired. Even if a large piece of an edge or corner is knocked off like when a large pot is dropped on a corner from an overhead rack - it can be repaired.

Yes, this does take a trained applicator to apply because the pouring measurements must be exact and the techniques to achieve a polish or honed appearance is not something that is intuitive and takes some experience.

Onyx acid-etches. I saw a post about choosing that. Clearstone is the solution to choosing any natural stone that acid-etches.

Most of the cost of a job is the labor and I cannot quote labor rates across the country. I can tell you that MANY clients have found applying Clearstone ONCE costs WAY less than having the tops diamond restored every year or two.

We just did an application in southern California where the owner just couldn't stand the acid-etching and had already paid to have his marble island diamond restored twice in 18 months and it already looked bad again. Now that we have coated it he can throw his parties with no worries.

I was asked how thick the product is poured. 1.9 ml It is a coating. Now I'm starting to catch on to the next questions after I tell everyone that: you NEVER see the coating. It is absolutely clear (hence the name). I've attached four pictures. The white Island is a residence in Indianapolis, the brown island is a residence in the Chicago area and the long top is a restroom in a Lexus Dealership. I also attached an image that may appear sideways (sorry about that if it happens). It is one of the many tables and tops we did inside JFK Airport.

As I always write, this is not a new product, It is proven over a long time all around the world. Just new to us.

We are moving the manufacturing of Clearstone from Australia to the United States as soon as we work out the logistics and choose a site.
  • Joe Wirtz
    11 years ago
    The last picture didn't get posted. Here are a couple JFK airport pics. Some are honed finishes and some polished. Most clients have chosen polished because the theory for a lot of people here in the U.S. was to hone natural stone to help hide the acid-etching. Since it can't acid-etch you might as well go polished! Its the clients choice, we can do any level of hone desired.
  • Joe Wirtz
    11 years ago
    Here's a picture of an island before we started. That's acid-etching. Its actually many many burns n the stone that make it look dull. That started out as a polished top! After 2 years of use it looks honed because of all the burns (etch). Any stone with Calcium Carbonate will etch. Ask your fabricator before using natural stone because a lot of people even on this discussion thread are talking about alternatives to marble, but those choices acid-etch too! The other picture is the after Clearstone was applied.
  • Joe Wirtz
    11 years ago
    I also own a natural stone restoration company in the midwest and have been formally trained by a Stone Master from Italy and can answer MOST questions about taking care of natural stone and what to do when something goes wrong. My company restores mostly hotels with a lot of marble (we restore more than 1,000 rooms per year and once restored 3,000 rooms in one year!) We also do a lot of residential work. That is taking things off track for this thread so I'll see if I can start another thread about that.
  • shuckins117
    11 years ago
    I need help on deciding if creme Bordeaux granite counter tops would look good with my kitchen cabinets and tile floor
  • maureenroth
    11 years ago
    The pictures look great, Clearstone. How long does the new finish last? I take it this is not a DIY job - are there many people applying this product? And what is an average cost?
  • Joe Wirtz
    11 years ago
    It needs to be professionally applied because of the learning curve, equipment and techniques used. The warranty is currently a minimum of 15 years (see post above). The cost is determined by the local applicators because the majority of cost is their labor. There are trained applicators from New York to California and Wisconsin to Texas. Not the whole country yet, but growing every week!

The product is poured one day, left to dry overnight, then sanded (no mess, connected to a HEPA filter duct collector) to the desired finish.
  • Joe Wirtz
    11 years ago
    I'm not a designer but here is a picture of the Creme Bordeaux granite Maureen asked about above. Of course every piece of natural stone is different but these are the general colors. Good luck.
  • revss
    11 years ago
    Sorry I can't expand the pic. of the Creme Bordeaux! Looks lovely.
  • Joe Wirtz
    11 years ago
    Joseph F. Yencho, Design/Builder wrote that he "doesn't like the Clearstone warranty requirements." Some comment about fine print. What fine print? Everything is printed clearly and out there for everyone to see. What is your specific concern??? I think you have Clearstone confused with something else. The warranty simply states that if you have any acid-etching or staining over at least 15 years they will replace the coating at their expense. In 16 years they have NEVER had to replace a coating on a top under warranty. It will not etch. It will not stain.
  • charleee
    11 years ago
    I asked him the same question! Mr Yencho???
  • PRO
    JDM Countertops, Inc.
    11 years ago
    Clearstone, can you answer my questions please? I asked what the thickness of the coating is? What happens if the stone needs to be repaired underneath the coating? Can it be removed? And what is the fabricator's liability under your warranty?
  • Joe Wirtz
    11 years ago
    JDM: I did answer your questions - look above. Here it is again: 1.9 mil thick. Why would the stone need to be repaired under the coating? - unless the stone chips or is cracked off- even in that case the answer is yes. The coating can be removed. The warranty is the manufacturers warranty.
  • maureenroth
    11 years ago
    Clearstone, I have two more questions. How can you coat a rounded or other routed edges? I know you said the finish can't be seen, but how does it feel; does it feel like a plastic finish?
  • Joe Wirtz
    11 years ago
    There are many edge types fabricators apply to tops. For each one we have a pattern where we tape the edge in the appropriate spot and pour around the edges and shape the final finish. We have a thicker version (meaning it is not self-leveling) that we can brush on if we need to do vertical edges. We do not coat existing walls (like in a shower). If we put the thiner version on an existing wall we can't get it smooth enough to look good.
    We can, however, coat marble type tiles BEFORE they are installed and then have them put on the wall. Clearstone is self-leveling.

With regards to the "feel", I took samples to a trade show with trained stone professionals and they could not tell which tiles had clearstone and which ones didn't until I poured vinegar and lemon juice on them. I think that is something each person needs to see and feel for themselves.
  • elcieg
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Hey, pennyream, what did you decide? I think your post got high-jacked. My vote is no to marble unless you want the French bakery look....which works for me. Everything now is so shiny...floors, counters, fabrics. My grandmother had a marble slab in her pantry. It had a stain from every pie she made. But it was sanitary and worked well for the dough she rolled out. Wish I had that piece now...if just for the memories.