Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
erlinda_parris

Vintage sectional couch dilema!

Erlinda Parris
11 years ago
Hi everyone, could you suggest affordable fabric to reupholster this awesome sectional?

My dilema is that I can't tell whether the fabric will work in it. I am very open to colors. I will do the project myself!

Many thanks!

Comments (17)

• pearlmelba
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Wow what a fab couch if you like bright colours. And by looking at the walls it would seem that you do Why not do the middle section one colour and the outer two in another colour or the whole couch in bright colour but leave the wood cream maybe make some tie backs to match the newly covered couch if you can do all of this yourself clever lady and also a good person to know is one that can sew but I am sure some one will be along to give you better advice then myself
  • decoenthusiaste
    11 years ago
    You're ambitions with all that tufting. Of course, solid non-patterned fabric would look best. Polished cotton might be a choice. Try a color from the painting in the background that you haven't used yet in your colorful room! How about the rich blue?
    Hancock Park · More Info
  • carole
    11 years ago
    solid or printfabric.....hope seeing some next to eachother will help you,,,as to fabrics..on houzz look at upholstery...;-)
  • PRO
    Oellien Design, Inc.
    11 years ago
    You have stunning sectional. It appears the wooden base details are a fairly light wood finish and i would consider keeping the piece very monochromatic but darken the down the upholsery color and let it be a simple weave or very small pattern but take away the sheen out of the fabric. Since the piece is so large and you are going to make an investment in the piece you keep it the color simple so that it lives a long life in your family.
  • pearlmelba
    11 years ago
    Loving the pinky purple colour but not the cushions
  • Erlinda Parris
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thanks for your comments. I like the patterns but I am scared of proportion. I found a website that shows most patterns running 12" horizontally.

I guess the solid color would resolve this issue. The current fabric is somewhat shinny. So, with your comments I realized that I don't know the fabric type/name to look for a good match. Any ideas of what and where to find it?

Decorenthusiaste - you mentioned polished cotton. Is that the material in the blue couch?

Thanks a lot!
  • decoenthusiaste
    11 years ago
    The blue couch looks to be microsuede, which is a fabric I generally detest - stretches and wears poorly. I mentioned polished cotton but Oellien Design suggested to reduce the sheen on the fabric. I see the point as shine may visually seem to increase the size of the piece. Polished cotton is a tightly woven cotton treated to be somewhat shiny in appearance. You might go to some fabric stores and ask to see samples of it. Chintz is a good example of polished cotton. I would visit an upholstered to just to be informed about their opinions on good fabrics for tufting, wear qualities, and to see some fabrics. You're not obligated to contract the work but they may even be able to get you a good price on the material you select, and theirs may be more suitable to your application than most of the standard fabrics at fabric stores.
  • libradesigneye
    11 years ago
    Erlinda - I'm going to use your art as inspiration. If you are doing this yourself, you need a great fabric - here you can shop for upholstery weight fabrics in solid colors. http://www.calicocorners.com/category/designer+fabrics+for+the+home/shop+by+type/upholstery+solid.do?leftnav=1 I picked out a few for you to focus on - I think if you are going for a strong color, you will long term be happiest with the green, blue-green that I see in an adjacent pillow and background accent piece - as a neutral you can change your decor around it many times and it will work.

this would be hardwearing, classic yet fun - http://www.calicocorners.com/product/designer+fabrics+for+the+home/shop+by+type/upholstery+solid/pop+bk+-+robert+allen+fabrics+dusk.do
    this is a cotton velvet - pretty, and somewhat durable, but not a great investment long-term in cotton http://www.calicocorners.com/product/designer+fabrics+for+the+home/shop+by+type/upholstery+solid/cannes+-+velvet+trellis.do
    Here's a high end cobalt blue to pick up from your iris art - nice and dark, yet with strong color, and blue with the white frame will always have classic punch http://www.calicocorners.com/product/designer+fabrics+for+the+home/shop+by+type/upholstery+solid/hopsack+-+robert+allen+fabrics+cobalt.do

Here's a fabric tweed that appears light, but has the aqua tone, combined with a bark and the cream of the frame. This would be gorgeous and completely neutral, but being light has serious drawbacks as you have experienced. http://www.calicocorners.com/product/designer+fabrics+for+the+home/shop+by+type/upholstery+solid/kabuki+-+robert+allen+fabrics+aloe.do
    Of all the fabrics I reviewed, this tweedy fabric is the most appealing since it plays against type on the tufted sofa - a bit of high/low. If I were working for you I would advocate for this in the alternative graystone color as my personal favorite - it has a bit of aqua, is mostly neutral, but has a touch of white to tie back to the frame. This fabric would go with your decor forever and in this dark neutral would wear like iron. It isn't the bright pop, but your sectional is so large that it could anchor a room rather than overpower it - see http://www.calicocorners.com/product/designer+fabrics+for+the+home/shop+by+type/upholstery+solid/kabuki+-+robert+allen+fabrics+greystone.do

and for fun, let's consider a beautiful tangerine on sale http://www.calicocorners.com/product/designer+fabrics+for+the+home/shop+by+type/upholstery+solid/eden+-+iman+home+fabrics+sunstone.do

Hope this gives you some options to consider!
  • Erlinda Parris
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Wow! so helpful! Thanks a lot. Isn't this website great?! I apologize for taking so long to come back to it. I am in a bit of a learning curve here - with the website and a NB. So tired - this project will be a treat.

Decoenthusiaste - I should have said. I am actually moving sometime in the summer. yey! Want to make the couch new for my new home. I like vintage, and rustic, yet traditional. I don't think it makes sense. LOL Anyways, considering my husbands input I need to stay a bit traditional - he does not like the fabric that seem to have the space on the tread as most of the ones you posted appear to have Libradesigneye. I found same feeling on chenille, which we dont like much. But the site gives me somethings to work on. I like the flowers, he likes the damask looking things. I trust the advice you guys gave on seen the fabric first. I am also considering not putting the bottons(?). I will post soon a pic of another amazing couch I had upholstered. It looks awful - so I am nervous. I saw a look alike on the ideabook and was amazed about how much it costs. So, I am searching for the old gold velour looking fabric it had.
  • pearlmelba
    11 years ago
    yes this site is so good lots of good advice i am enjoying looking learning also can not wait to see what you do with your fab couch good luck in your new home post pics
  • Kimberly Niesz
    11 years ago
    Great vintage sectional! With such a large piece, I would probably either do a bold solid color (teal, bright pink, chartreuse, etc..) or a bold pattern in a neutral color, maybe something like the pic below.
    I think both options would look great with the white wood trim and you could even do contrasting piping if you're feeling adventurous. I hope we get to see it when its done!
  • camillealbert
    11 years ago
    Love Kimberly n's fabric choice !!
  • Patsy Martin
    10 years ago
    Remember that removing the old upholstery will be quite a chore. The last time I tried I gave up and took the chair to an upholsterer.
    Erlinda Parris thanked Patsy Martin
  • pearlmelba
    10 years ago
    I was wondering what had happened to this couch ........
    Erlinda Parris thanked pearlmelba
  • Erlinda Parris
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    OMG! I know! Thanks guys for checking up on it. I think that is a great way to keep myself going. Now I have to show the end. I had been unable to deal with all the mess while showing home. Just yesterday I went to the upholster shop to take a pic on the fabric and get a feel of it. I am agreeing with the solid linen. As for removing the old upholstery, I am hope I will do ok. I did a bench awhile ago and it was awful because i did not have right tools and was pregnant. I have to wait the right time and then put my husband to work with me. :)
  • pearlmelba
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    @Erlinda...
    Hi.....thanks for the update ....... People don't always give one .... thus it leaves the Hozz community .....interested parties in limbo so to speak ...
    I love looking on Hozz
    I sometimes put my non designer thoughts to a post
    And i am always interested to see the OPs outcome
    Yours is still in progress ....
    Upholstery is not as easy as it looks
    I have a wingback (granny ) Chair I am longing to cover !!!!!
    Keep us all posted as to how you are getting on ....As for waiting for the right time to get DH involved
    hope you don't have to wait long ..........
    It's good that you are wanting him involved ...
    Keep us all posted ... With pictures
    Good luck
Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH