Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ksdjsiey4

Dining Room Centerpiece & wall decor

ksdjsiey4
11 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

FINALLY, my formal dining room is ready for decor. My style is a light touch of medieval/industrial. I don't know if anyone has ever combined those two before, but basically I like iron, wood, stone, glass (particularly green), natural elements like that. One of my ideas is to photograph the opening dedication page of a book my tenth great grandfather wrote in 1621 in England and hang it up as art. But where? I really like the idea of hanging words, quotes, or book pages as art, but not as a stencil. Also, I am look for centerpiece design ideas as well. Open to any ideas!
(The mirror on the floor now hangs higher on the wall at the same location.)

Comments (15)

• PRO
    ASVInteriors
    11 years ago
    Lovely room. Personally with such a dramatic chandelier, I don't think you need a centrepiece. You would detract from the look.
    I love the idea you have for the art, and I was wondering if you could have some rusted iron (or iron) cut out in a long horizontal panel above the wainscotting with the dedication page. If you underlit it, the words would be lit up subtly in the evening and in the daytime the negative space would create an interesting feature. Also it wouldn't compete with your chandelier as it will be so much higher.
  • PRO
    ASVInteriors
    11 years ago

Not a brilliant day for me but trying to show you

• PRO
    Mike BROUSE fine art
    11 years ago
    original artwork is always preferred over prints
  • ksdjsiey4
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I did go ahead and do a centerpiece today, it is pretty minimal and hopefully does not detract. Basically I pulled a dried pine branch out of the woods and scoured it clean and stained it.

• Brenda
    11 years ago
    pretty room -- and love the staircase.

this room reminds me a bit of yours. maybe you'll get some inspiration from it. [houzz=
    fun on location · More Info
    ]
  • ksdjsiey4
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I've already done centerpiece for now (see above) but I love that piece of pottery and might use something like it elsewhere (breakfast nook).
  • mpoulsom
    11 years ago
    or one of these type containers....with larger river rock in the bottom and your sticks, or whatever short stemmed flower (color) you would like to use for certain holidays with the rocks and water.
  • mpoulsom
    11 years ago
    well tre...you are too quick! lol!
    enjoy your new dining room! cheers!
  • leelee
    11 years ago
    I can't tell from my screen...is that panelling on the wall? I like the idea of a minimal centerpiece but I think for the size of the table you should expand on your idea and do 3 of the jars with sticks or even 5. How about these ideas? You might consider a rug since your table and floors are both dark your table fades into the floor.
  • leelee
    11 years ago
    That's a twig mirror above.
  • ksdjsiey4
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    leelee, good ideas! I def need a rug. May go with a natural fiber on that but have never bought a nat fiber rug before. I like the mirror idea a lot as well. I could probably get creative and make a unique one.
  • Kerri F.
    11 years ago
    I would probably just add a simple rectangular tray of some sort in another metal. maybe something like nickel or silver and nothing more. I would definitely add an area rug to warm up the space. i love the idea of adding a large mirror too. i think you can find one from Restoration hardware to suit your taste.
  • leelee
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    I'd try for a round starburst like the twig or something other than a rectangle mirror. Go with a little color in a rug, even if it's subtle.
  • leelee
    11 years ago
    rugs...