Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eventmistress

Can anyone identify the style of this house?

eventmistress
11 years ago
It was built in 1922 and was labeled Victorian, but I'm not so sure. I would love to have suggestions on exterior paint color options as well. Thanks!

Comments (197)

• butlera
    11 years ago
    My home is similar and is referred to as a Folk Victorian. The first pic is my house and I have posted 2 other examples.
  • anne dee
    11 years ago
    @anne nelson this is not my house lovely as it may be. I am out of the big house and into a relatively small condo .
    Yes, and I can say that I am L-O-V-I-N-G IT!!
  • anne nelson
    11 years ago
    Nice. I am thinking of selling my larger home in Richmond Va and going to a Florida condo. If you know anything about Fla and have suggestions of places to look let me know. :)
  • anne dee
    11 years ago
    anne nelson I am in the south...... but it's Southern Ontario :) We had a place in Florida eons ago when the kids were ,
    well kids. Sold long time ago.Don't know much about Fla now.
  • darlenerunner
    11 years ago
    Anne, I'm a little biased but I like the gulf side, mostly because of the water. And depending on your lifestyle... to me the bigger cities are too congested, but if you want to be entertained that may be your choice. We live in a little town , Punta Gorda ( was named the best city to retire in about 8or so yrs ago) it has an active Downtown. Many of the neighborhoods have canal waterfront homes and condos. The only minus is that we are about 40 min from the beach, but when we go it's usually for the day anyhow. Do your homework, maybe rent first, good luck!
  • elcieg
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Take your convo some where else . This post belongs to eventmistress, addressing her question as to the style of her house. Your Florida comments have no place on this particular post.

Ask a question and hopefully get an answer?
  • anne nelson
    11 years ago
    Okay, I apologize for offending you. I see I can send a private message. Two days on this site. Did not seem offensive; sorry to offend you motorcyce lady. ! Wow.Touchy and lacking in class. THIS is how a polite person would / should respond. Though I did review the guidelines and see nothing to suggest this is inappropriate. Are you the moderator?
    "You might be new on this site but I would like to suggest you send that type of thing in a private message. Thank you." I did see that the rules request using good grammar and good manners. You did neither.. Somewhere is one word for future reference. It is standard on 1st grade spelling word lists. Thank you for your opinion however rude you may be.
  • eventmistress
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Anne Nelson. Good luck with your FL search. I've heard that Sarasota is expanding nicely and is a great place to invest. About the Folk Victorian. This is what I've been able to find while researching tonight. I thought it was intresting-
  • Karen Ginas
    11 years ago
    Discussion gone bad?
  • Sunday
    11 years ago
    I just wanted to share my new home. The siding is Hardie Plank.
  • anne dee
    11 years ago
    @eventmistress That video seems to describe your place very well . Seems as if you have made a good choice. It's really interesting to get involved and do a little digging. Tenacity gets results !!
  • eventmistress
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Sunday what color is your Hardie Plank siding?
  • PRO
    Kevin Patrick O'Brien Architect, Inc.
    11 years ago
    @sunday, BEAUTIFUL HOME! Congrats! Thanks for sharing your pic, perfect for this discussion.
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    I used HardieShingles for my home in NorCal. Fiber cement takes paint very well and it's been 12 years still looks great!
  • eventmistress
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I forgot to say congrats! Is that a shed dormer minus a catslide that I spy on Sunday's precious home?
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Yes good eye eventmistress! Your getting the hang of this!!
  • eventmistress
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Did anyone happen to see this great thread that's going on? Meet-the-Pro-s-and-fellow-Design-Enthusiasts. I'm not trying to change the subject. I think this is a wonderful way to share your business and talents with those that are new on the site.
  • anne dee
    11 years ago
    KPOA,Inc. mentioned this but where's the discussion being held?
  • darlenerunner
    11 years ago
    I also apologize, I responded to whom I thought was the poster of the question. I only read the last post, I didn't mean to start a war! Sorry :)
  • natebrecht
    11 years ago
    Wow, a ton of responses, but I'm going to throw my two cents in. I'd classify this as the American Vernacular Style. Definitely not Victorian, in America, that period lasted only until about 1910.
  • eventmistress
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    @anne dee it looks like it was started about 13 days ago by OnePlan. I'm not sure how I ended up there and intended to attach the link. Let me see if I can try again. I was able to do a search under discussions to get there again. "Meet the Pros and fellow Design Enthusiasts"

@natebrecht do you have a source for your photo? this has been a real adventure in design.My house looks a lot like that but does have a lot of the other "Victorian" features.
  • anne dee
    11 years ago
    I appreciate it eventmistress !
  • prt13
    11 years ago
    You may like http://www.traditionalproductgalleries.com/pics/pd5020.jpg from the Color People "The Color People offers color-scheme consultation for residential and commercial buildings."
  • eventmistress
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Quick update. Turns out the house was one of three built on "farmland" before the neighborhood was built around it. I still have more research to do, but digging up this tidbit of history was fun! It actually could be more of the American Vernacular Style with a references to the Victorians. It was definitely used as a farmhouse. Stay tuned for future updates. I am still waiting on official records.
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Looks like "Farmhouse" early American vernacular! Thanks for the update, as you can see we are always here! Kinda scary isn't it?
  • eventmistress
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Lol! I was thinking that it could be Farmhouse Folk American Victorian Vernacular. I love that everyone is still here, just wait until we get into the projects!
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    That's how to be diplomatic! Cover all of the bases! BTW we are all waiting patiently to see what you do with your place!
  • eventmistress
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I finally have access to the house and will be starting with painting the closets. Sounds crazy I know but I figure its easier to get that improvement done when they are empty. Pics to come in the near future!
  • PRO
    Matt Shepard Realtor
    10 years ago
    Farmhouse
  • Billy Rogers
    10 years ago
    This is an smaller type Victorian but it looks like someone has tried to modernize it to a particular era, it's missing all the trimmings of the old Victorian like the typical gable build out above the upper window in front, scrolled rafter tails, porch trimmings, also the porches on the older Victorians of this size typically have a roof over the entry way where the steps are. the porch in front of the window looks like it was probably added on at one point along with the shed roof. Originally it may of had a gable roof over the entryway and steps.
  • Billy Rogers
    10 years ago
    Small Victorians
  • bordercolliesrule
    10 years ago
    Is that cream, beige or pink???
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    Billy, you may want to check out 'judyg' way above. Victorian farmhouse.
  • eventmistress
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Whew! Settling in is taking much longer than I expected. Turns out there is original hardware on the outside of the windows which indicates that there might have been working shutters at some point.

The house is a shade of grey that turns slightly pink when the sun hits it and slightly purple in the shade.
  • prt13
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    If and when you get around to putting up shutters, if you wish to use the brackets which are there, you need to find a local blacksmith. One of the shutter attachments (note 1) pieces which disappeared at the strippers cost me $90 a few years back
  • swither
    10 years ago
    eventmistress, not sure if you ever got a definitive answer on your home. However, I believe it is a Gabled-Ell. The Gabled-Ell is a vernacular style, and has a distinctive “L” shape, which creates a front gable and a side gable. It was a common house style from about 1880 to 1910. They could be quite simple or very decorative, which created houses with various stylistic elements such as bracketing, fishscale shingling, gingerbread, and Queen Anne style windows with stained glass. My house is a Gabled-Ell with Queen Anne flourishes. I believe yours may be a Gabled-Ell with a more simple detail. Farmhouse is a common term, but it's not the exact architectural term for the house. The Gabled-Ell became very popular after the arrival of the railroad.

Here are some resources:
    http://www.bobvila.com/gable-and-ell/2428-bob-vila-s-guide-to-historic-house-styles/slideshows?s=8

http://www.kozakarchitects.com/learn-architecture-house-styles.html

I really have no advice on the color, but yellow would be period appropriate. My one input is maybe to paint the porch roof or the door "haint blue," which was extremely popular on this style of house in the South.

http://activerain.com/blogsview/505164/paint-it-haint-a-paint-color-with-a-colorful-past
  • Ginger Dwyer
    10 years ago
    I did not see where you posted how tall the ceilings are inside. Or should I say the original ceiling heights?
  • rwpackard
    10 years ago
    I am looking to recreate this 1903 build, I purchased the house 15 years ago and I am trying to define the style so I can recreate the details while restoring. Trying to find the original plans. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • rwpackard
    10 years ago
    I am looking to recreate this 1903 build, I purchased the house 15 years ago and I am trying to define the style so I can recreate the details while restoring. Trying to find the original plans. Any help would be greatly appreciated
  • anne dee
    10 years ago
    You should check with the American Historical Society in your area for the right information
  • swither
    10 years ago
    Rwpackard, I believe you have a Gabled-Ell. The front entry off to the side is the only thing that appears a little off with the Gabled-Ell. However, the rest appears correct for a Gabled-Ell with a Queen Ann porch for style.

The Gabled-Ell is a vernacular style, and has a distinctive “L” shape, which creates a front gable and a side gable. It was a common house style from about 1880 to 1910. They could be simple or decorative, which created houses with various stylistic elements such as bracketing, fishscale shingling, gingerbread, and Queen Anne style windows with stained glass. My house is a Gabled-Ell with Queen Anne flourishes. (See the pink house 4 posts up).

Here are some resources:
    http://www.bobvila.com/gable-and-ell/2428-bob-vila-s-guide-to-historic-house-styles/slideshows?s=8

http://www.kozakarchitects.com/learn-architecture-house-styles.html
  • rwpackard
    10 years ago
    Sounds great, thanks, Does it matter if it isn't an L-shape. The back piece was added on later, the shingles are still between the two structures
  • swither
    10 years ago
    With that information, I would say you have a Cape Cod. Which was later made to appear like a Gabled type home (possibly when the kitchen was added?) and a Queen Ann porch. I am positive your porch was added at a later time, and it is definitely Queen Ann with the bracketing and the other details.

The Cape Cod style's identifying features: Steep roof with side gables, small roof overhang, made of wood covered in wide clapboard or shingles, large central chimney linked to fireplace in each room, symmetrical appearance with door in center, dormers for space, light, and ventilation, multi-paned, double-hung windows, shutters, formal center-hall floor plan, hardwood floors, little exterior ornamentation.
  • swither
    10 years ago
    Oh, and depending on where your house is makes a difference. If north, Cape Cod. If more middle country or south, its a simple Gable House:

Gable Front House: Also known as Front Gable House, they were working-class dwellings built in large numbers throughout the United States primarily between the early 1800s and 1920. Identifying features: Gable facing the street or entrance side of house, simple design, may contain some ornamentation such as brackets around the doorways or roof line, some have front porches. Manifested themselves in styles ranging from Greek Revival to Gothic Revival to Queen Anne to a simpler vernacular style.
  • butlera
    10 years ago
    I think what you're looking for, rwpackard, is the Cracker Farmhouse style. Please see example below.
  • dbh
    10 years ago
    I haven't read all the comments, but we once had a Victorian (1894) that was a Queen Anne. This layout looks similar, right down to the front porch, though our house was taller and had a lot of gingerbread which yours is missing-- but to me it looks like a very stripped-down Queen Anne Victorian. Maybe more farmhouse?
  • rwpackard
    10 years ago
    Thank you so much for your help
  • Tabatha Jones
    8 years ago

I would say this home is a Gabled Ell.

• anne dee
    8 years ago

with reference to Tabatha Jones comment above a Gabled Ell is similar to this pic which does resemble the house posted by eventmistress 2 years ago!!

I remember this thread quite well...

here's the pic

• paula_b_gardener 5b_ON
    7 years ago

Ours is called a Folk Victorian in a vernacular style. It originally had cedar shingles for its siding.