Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dibaksdj

i like the idea of placing a plasma on top of the fireplace, my worry is doesn't the fire affect things placed

dibaksdj
11 years ago
fire has smoke and I feel it might ruin the tv, pictures and flowers placed next to the fireplace. Plase advise me on that, I really like the idea since it saves space, no need to buy the units for plasma, books and other things. You just make a built in in one place and you can also put your sound system in the units without displaying so many speakers outside the units.
Project in Tiburon · More Info

Comments (11)

• PRO
    Julie Williams Design
    11 years ago
    This fireplace is gas which doesn't create the smoke of a wood fire. You do have to be concerned about the heat radiating upward, especially while the televisionis in use.
  • A Azad
    9 years ago
    Is this a B-vent fireplace or direct?
  • PRO
    Claxton Fireplace Center, Inc.
    9 years ago

Direct vent

• Talmage Dangerfield
    9 years ago

I agree with you guys, I think that the plasma TV on top of the fireplace looks really great. Besides that, I think that this whole set up was really creative. What kind of material is around the fireplace? It kind of looks like marble but I can't tell. http://www.greenacreslive.com/services/hardscaping/

• PRO
    Decorative Glass Solutions
    8 years ago

Having a decorative fireplace screen can be a great addition too!

• PRO
    COASTROAD Hearth & Patio
    6 years ago

Hi Emily - The fireplace is a Town & Country direct vent gas fireplace, either the 36" or 42" model, with a Distinctive Mantel Designs mantel and overmantel.

You can do a dealer search on the Town & Country website to find your nearest provider.

• PRO
    JAWS DESIGNS
    6 years ago
    Beautiful design! Heart is always a concern with the television above as fireplace, however with the proper distance between and the approved mantel placement, the heat will be deflected away from direct contact and the television should be just fine. Always check the manuals for both appliances before proceeding though.
  • PRO
    COASTROAD Hearth & Patio
    6 years ago

Hi Emily - the fireplace in the original photo is a Town & Country gas direct vent, so those are "fake wood logs". Gas fireplaces require different maintenance than wood fireplaces, not necessarily less. That being said, it seems a little suspicious that every comment you make ends with a website link. . . .

• teamaltese
    6 years ago
    I think of more concern than heat or smoke is the height of the TV. Your seating would have to be a distance away from the fireplace to have your head at a comfortable angle for viewing. Most homeowners don’t have that kind of room. Maybe mounting the TV on a moveable hinged Mount that allows the TV to be pulled out and down for viewing. Otherwise, too uncomfortable.
  • MK Rajala
    6 years ago

Once upon a time I remember being told that tv over fireplace is more of an insurance issue than a smoke/heat issue - ex: if the tv breaks, insurance won't cover cost if tv is placed over a fireplace (more of an issue years ago when flatscreens first came out and cost 8-10k!). I have a large flatscreen over an unused fireplace. It's an old house and the room is large, so I was able to place a sectional far enough back so as not to strain necks. I have another room laid out nearly identical to one shown. I love the paint colors you chose! My marble is made up of grays so I'm repainting from a taupe to London Fog with a darker mantle, thanks to this pic. Thanks! Beautiful work,