Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
art_santos

To backsplash or not to backsplash that is the question.

Art Santos
11 years ago
This is our first time doing a renovation. We renovated the whole kitchen and we are now close to the finish line. We ordered some silestone marengo countertops. But are baffled about the backsplash.

We definitely want to get extra silestone so that we can 'extend the countertop' up the wall to meet the backsplash.

How high should we make the silestone backsplash, the counter company is telling us 4" but it seems too high? And should we make these pieces as thick as the countertop or should they be thinner?

What are the design guidelines for the countertop extending up the backsplash?

Comments (13)

• Art Santos
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Isn't it much cleaner to have that backplate made out of the same material as the countertop?
  • Brenda
    11 years ago
    To me it looks more like a "builder grade" option, and a fully tiled backsplash looks more "custom". But I will be interested to hear what others think about this.
  • User
    11 years ago
    There have been several discussions on this and the consensus is usually to skip the 4 inch backsplash - the tiles to the counter look more custom as Brenda mentioned. Another option can be do to the entire backsplash in counter material, but personally I only like that with marble and some light granites.
  • Linda.Linda2
    11 years ago
    If you are going to silestone it I would go all the way up to the cabinets.
  • PRO
    Granite Transformations
    11 years ago
    4" is the standard countertop backsplash. I would consider installing a tile backsplash though. I'd recommend going with a mosaic or subway tile to bring in more color and contrast to your kitchen.

You might like our mosaic line called "Intuition", which you can see here- http://www.granitetransformations.com/southjersey/products/mosaic-tiles/colors/traditional-mosaic/

That would be my suggestion for your kitchen. I also think our pearl or onyx subway would work as well. I hope that this was helpful. Good luck finishing off your kitchen!
  • PRO
    Showcase Kitchens
    11 years ago
    We agree with Brenda; no need to do the 4" backplate. Since there's really not that much space, a tiled backsplash - from the countertop to the cabinets would help create an attractive and clean look. A nice accent color or even pattern, would pop between the dark grey Silestone Marengo, the white cabinets and yellow wall above. The attached kitchen has white cabinets and grey countertops...with sand-colored subway tiles...clean and simple.
  • Art Santos
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Wow, thanks to everyone for your feedback.
  • Brenda
    11 years ago
    share pic's when its done!
  • PRO
    Vitroceram Inc.
    9 years ago
    You have a very beautiful kitchen... have you considered using glass tiles? You can go with a neutral field tile and accent with a splash of color. This can be achieved by using anyone of our 37+ standard formats or 15+ Architectural assemblies, giving you a truly custom experience just for you. Please have a look at our site for countless creative ideas. Wishing you a sparkling day.
  • PRO
    Gray & Walter, Ltd.
    9 years ago
    You are best off with a full height backsplash. The cleanest option is to use the counter material for the backsplash. Of course you can use another material if you prefer.
  • PRO
    Expressive Interiors
    9 years ago
    Use tile, or stone to add another design element to your space in lieu of a countertop material backsplash. Don't miss this opportunity to add color, texture, and design to your space.
  • Lorri Baranyai
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Full height and pick a nice tile or mosaic. Usually a 4 inch quartz backsplash would be an off-cut of the slab and be thick. Take into consideration the size of your sink (front to back), depth of the counter and the style of your taps, Sometimes it can be a pain to clean behind the taps because the thickness of the backsplash leaves little room. I also see this problem in kitchens where the client had ledgestone installed above their countertops.