Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chris_affleck

What should I do with concrete patio?

Chris Affleck
10 years ago
last modified: 10 years ago
I'm going to be building a pergola that goes from the left side of the door towards the end of the right side of the house. What should I do with the existing concrete patio? Should I sledgehammer it and put pavers in its place and expand to the end of the pergola? I would like to do pavers for the whole thing, but I don't see a way to do it without getting rid of the existing patio. I have seen some very nice stamped / colored concrete patios, how difficult would it be to do something like that? Any ideas?

BTW this is an old picture from before I bought my house - security door is gone. :P

Comments (54)

• PRO
    Kevin Patrick O'Brien Architect, Inc.
    10 years ago
    We just put used brick pavers over concrete slab. Added trellis to cover our outdoor eating area. I'm not a fan of stained or stamped concrete for exterior use. Requires sealing maintenance to protect! Curious to hear what everyone else has to say!
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    You could leave the concrete as is and do red brick paving around it which you then extend towards the corner of the house.
    Another idea: leave the concrete slab, red brick paving, but with square grey large pavers in between, in a block pattern. Like in the photo enclosed, but with brick in stead of gravel.

If you don't like the concrete...just take the time and effort to have it removed now there's still easy access and have a really nice garden.

https://www.google.nl/search?q=concrete+with+brick+paving&rlz=1C1CHFX_nlNL515NL517&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=XAuIUarfOYTbObr1gbgB&ved=0CDIQsAQ&biw=1920&bih=971#imgrc=ZiZUEqOsWF3IxM%3A%3Bdj3v5ZIEte6_MM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fimages04.olx.com%252Fui%252F11%252F23%252F92%252F1300722616_179592192_1-Pictures-of--Decorative-Concrete-Brick-Pavers-Concrete-Resurfacing-Orlando.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Forlando-florida.olx.com%252Fdecorative-concrete-brick-pavers-concrete-resurfacing-orlando-iid-179592192%3B625%3B469

Mangan 2-1 · More Info
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    I'm with Carolina! Great photos!
  • Chris Affleck
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    The thing I was wondering about is that I will need to extend the patio to the end of the house, can I transition it to the same height with pavers if I put pavers on top of the existing concrete? That would make it pretty high I would think, how could I get the area to the right of it level without pouring additional concrete?
  • Chris Affleck
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Terrace and pergola · More Info

That's kind of what I'm looking to do, but it wont span the entire back of the house, just the door and the 2 windows to the right. I suppose that I could do the concrete like they did, it doesn't look that bad. I would maybe want to paint it instead of the standard grey/white.
  • Chris Affleck
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Paver Patio · More Info

My original thought was to combine something like this, with the pergolla above. But it may be too much trouble to do pavers.
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Hey Chris, I can see where you are going. The "organic" curved shapes for the ground plane are interesting but conflict with the square geometry of the trellis? Maybe I'm getting too architectural? Best to do a plan layout to explore options & ideas.
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    And regarding finished "heights" I had the mason that did my brick pavers use a level to calculate drainage and slope prior to pouring the slab! Proper drainage is CRITICAL!
  • Chris Affleck
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I'm not opposed to making it square, I just kinda liked the 2 tiered patio, and the paverstones. Just like the look of them. I'm thinking its going to be a lot of trouble to get rid of the existing concrete though, and have it be level across the back.
  • PRO
    sstarr93
    10 years ago
    You could deck over it....it looks pretty low
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    You know, I rented a jackhammer once and broke up a slab similar in size to yours. It was a "macho" weekend and it really impressed my wife! I got to act tough! ACT being the key word here, as I tended to my blisters. You might give it a go, paid dividends if you know what I mean!
  • Chris Affleck
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks star, I was thinking that originally actually. What would you think the cost would be compared to pouring additional concrete. Oh and I have to do it on the right hand side, because the septic tank access is on the side with the 3 windows.
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Also, really like the low walls in that paver picture you posted Chris! Add additional seating if its in the budget!
  • PRO
    sstarr93
    10 years ago
    It would cost more, but if you get several bids you might get a good price. It is a very simple decking issue. However, if you like the paver look (which actually might be nicer), price will depend on the quality of the stone...
    How far to the right will this project?
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    I much prefer the look of the first picture you posted, the Terrace one. There's far too much going on in the Paver Patio design. Too many different kinds and sizes of stone, with grass and borders and different levels. And you'd like to add a pergola to that design. Not a good look. Less is definitely more. And it does not fit the style of your house...

You could do a deck, as sstarr93 suggests. But you would get wood siding, wood pergola, wood decking, wood furniture perhaps? Hmm.... Would that be too much of a good thing?

If the concrete isn't attached to the foundation of the house, outdo Kevin and rent a bobcat. Have a fun weekend tearing out the slab. And just make it as you want it, without having to work around a not so beautiful concrete slab.
    And should you rent heavy machinery, you could do the groundwork for the rest of your garden too.
  • PRO
    sstarr93
    10 years ago
    To the right of the door...
  • Chris Affleck
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I would be doing all the work myself, I originally wanted to do a low deck like star suggested. Then I saw some of the paver designs, which I like. Looking at the terrace picture more I actually don't mind the concrete. Any good landscaping ideas that would go with it? Oh and star it will go from between the left of the door to the end of the house with the 2 windows.
  • mpoulsom
    10 years ago
    I thought you’d enjoy this article http://www.familyhandyman.com/DIY-Projects/Outdoor-Projects/Patio/Patio-Pavers/how-to-cover-a-concrete-patio-with-pavers

I think the idea of using brick over the patio is a great one.....what if you constructed the pergola just over the concrete pad area now and left the right side open where the new additional patio floor would be? You could plant some greenery that is evergreen and tall on the outer edge of the new floor (on right) to kind of block it in and join it to the new outdoor living area.
    Found this article about putting bricks over concrete though. You may want to check it out. The reason I mentioned doing decking on part of it earlier is because I just did this myself. I have a concrete patio and we added a deck beyond it one step up from the concrete. It looks wonderful. And it creates levels that are not drastic, but inviting. I don't even think it would look bad if you did the bricks over the concrete, wood pergola over that area and then did the decking one step up on the right uncovered. But you would probably want the greenery on the far right or some kind of railing or bench as a railing on the right side.
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Great reading @mpoulsom! Good to have next time one if my customers asks. I followed my Dad's advice when it comes to tile or brick (any masonry) hire someone to do it or you will wish you did! I think it's one of those things that looks easy till your in over your head! I will stick to demolition! More fun and more noise!
  • mpoulsom
    10 years ago
    I hear ya Kevin! hub's at home as we speak trying to build a fireplace/pit thing off of the patio as I write! It's a little Beetlejuice looking as far as architecture, but we are both artists....so some funkiness will work there! ( of course I wanted an arch in the opening of the fireplace! He's been having a hard time grasping that!) lol!
    the patio and deck and fencing are right on though! :) Beautiful and clean. next will be staining or painting the concrete patio area, but I'll prob do something very artistic on it.
  • wstdspace
    10 years ago
    For durability and for it to look nice for years, brick should be laid on top of concrete and then a thin layer of sand. Otherwise, they will shift up and down and after just a year or two will need redone.
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    I like that, if someone is critical of the work just tell them your an "artist"!! I'm gonna try that next time! I think this project for Chris is really coming together! The ideas are flowing! I'm excited how much the trellis/pergola is going to transform the rear elevation of the home! My house is a sheer two story wall on back, the patio and trellis REALLY helped break down the scale and makes it feel like an outdoor "room". Cool
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Ha! "Beetlejuice" got it! All of the modern sculptures!
  • Chris Affleck
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Here's a picture of what I wanted to do on the right side like you suggested a trellis and incorporate a bench as well.

Howard Roberts · More Info
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    BTW Chris, it would be good if the trellis could cover the rear door along with the two windows (last photoshop image) helps protect the door from the weather! Every little bit helps! Water intrusion on exposed doors is a big problem down the road.
  • Chris Affleck
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I like the idea of maybe doing a deck and doing pavers over existing and having a step up.
  • Chris Affleck
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Yeah that's what I was planning Kevin its about a 16 foot span, son not.too bad.
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Hey Chris! Very Cool! Build it!
  • curryj
    10 years ago
    I would build a beautiful covered patio. We built one last year and spend so much time out there now that it has a roof. A tin roof is great when it rains. This picture also shows a fantastic fireplace that can be added later. I would also have to invest in a privacy fence aro plant a hedge because you have no backyard privacy. Also so beautiful trees would provide great shade.
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    @sstarr93, "before" and "after" very cool....
  • Chris Affleck
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    That looks pretty awesome star, so are you suggesting to do the concrete out further? That render definitely looks good.
  • handymam
    10 years ago
    I don't remember where I saw it, maybe the Lowe's booklet they send out(?) but you could do some really interesting expansion to your concrete pad by adding some circular (well with wedges cut out) patterns on the corners and sides with pavers and add pockets of color with plantings in between. Wish I could show you, it was smashing!
  • PRO
    sstarr93
    10 years ago
    Thx. Well, how large is your back yard? Whatever you put in should fit in scale with your overall outdoor space!
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    sstarr93, love that last design.
  • Chris Affleck
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Its a decent size back there, although it starts to slope down past the existing concrete. I'm wondering if an L shape deck addition would work. So I would take the existing concrete, put reclaimed brick pavers over those, then do a step up and build a deck that goes out to form the L shape. Thats exactly what I was thinking for the pergola. Also plan on putting in a built in for my big green egg on the left side. I love the way you made the privacy stuff along that wall with the pergola.
  • mpoulsom
    10 years ago
    chris...i think that would work and look great!
  • PRO
    sstarr93
    10 years ago
    Sort of like this? Where would the smoker go? Love that idea!
  • Chris Affleck
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I was thinking like this (really bad picture, but the idea.
  • PRO
    sstarr93
    10 years ago
    Not sure I understand.. can you draw on this picture?
  • Chris Affleck
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Maybe like this? I don't know how its gonna look
  • PRO
    sstarr93
    10 years ago
    ok... Might get smoke in the houzz?
  • Chris Affleck
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Hah yeah i think you are right. I have it on the patio now and it gets smokey inside - good time to fix that. lol. Yeah I'm kinda feelin your first design the best. Maybe your first design with a corner grill built in in the bottom left corner on the lower tier? Would you suggest going with decking for the upper tier or pavers/concrete like your original?
  • Chris Affleck
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Maybe do the L shape and make a bar/grill built in there? Btw thanks so much for the help guys, really appreciate it.
  • PRO
    sstarr93
    10 years ago
    Well, scrolling up the page, I think the pavers look more permanent/elegant, but you may find this to be a more expensive option. I think that the stone basically looks somewhat better, but the decking I drew was mahogany, which also looks good. I built a mahogany deck on the last house I had, and it was a selling point. Have you considered flagstone?
  • Chris Affleck
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I've looked at flagstone, I don't know I'm not really that big of a fan of it. I'm thinking either brick/pavers or a deck.
  • PRO
    sstarr93
    10 years ago
    Here's a bar, sink and green egg unit, with the small deck option.
  • Chris Affleck
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    That's pretty sick, I like that a lot. seems like that would be a lot more economical as well.
  • mpoulsom
    10 years ago
    chris i just saw some company that actually builds these cool cabinets to set your egg into.....it was pretty cool. they were like custom cabs, but nice....just for the egg! Had a good friend that loved his egg more than anything!! :)
  • Celina McGraw
    7 years ago

Show us the final result! :)