Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tymcio

I recently saw an article on your site about what color of paint to use if you have red woodwork.

tymcio
10 years ago
I have red cedar plank ceilings and old barn beams for support and yellow oak floor. I want to return to a clean bright look for the walls. Do you have any suggestions of what to go with and what to stay away from? I think I'd like a neutral white or stone color. There are so many whites can you please suggest what I should go for warm yellow white, blue-white, gray white or any specific whites. thanks

Comments (34)

• Patty Eades
    10 years ago
    Instead of painting walls, I would stain/paint the light wood balcony and fireplace mantle the same as the ceiling.......would be wonderful if you could also stain the floor darker...good luck
  • PRO
    A Crew of Two
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    I am not sure if the color is coming through the computer monitor correctly, but it is looking too blue....the grey should be closer to your rug color.
    Benjamin Moore Saybrook Sage Paint · More Info
    Revere Pewter HC-172 by Benjamin Moore · More Info
    Coastal Fog AC-1 by Benjamin Moore · More Info
  • Ed
    10 years ago
    Hi tym, here's an attempt to match by eye Kelly's suggestions -- Sherwin-Williams --
    SW 7736 Garden Sage --
  • PRO
    A Crew of Two
    10 years ago
    thank you, Ed!
  • Ed
    10 years ago
    Hi Tym, here's a blue off-white -- Sherwin-Williams -- SW 0019 Festoon Aqua --
  • Ed
    10 years ago
    Kelly, you're very welcome! Let's try some more greys.... :)
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    Ed, could you try the same with something like pearl onion? SW7126
  • Ed
    10 years ago
    Hi tym, a slightly darker green -- Sherwin-Williams -- SW 7742 Agate Green --
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    Filmy green? SW6190
  • Ed
    10 years ago
    Hi Tym, Carolins -- here's Carolins' SW 7126 Pearl Onion -- on my monitor, it appears quite white :) --
  • Ed
    10 years ago
    Hi Tym, Carolins -- here's Carolins' SW 6190 Filmy Green -- this one looks nicer on my monitor :) --
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    Cool Ed, thank you :-) Tymcio is asking for white, so that's good. It does brighten the room up hugely. It's a white with a green undertone (the Pearl Onion). The Filmy Green is a grey with green undertone I believe.
  • Ed
    10 years ago
    Hi Carolins, you're welcome. Tym, here's a lighter blue-ish grey --
    Sherwin-Williams SW 2832 Colonial Revival Gray --
  • Ed
    10 years ago
    Hi Tym -- you have many pretty choices of blue, green, off-whites, grey tones... But since we cannot really trust the computer's monitor display ( even if it's calibrated! ), you probably want to visit your local paint store or professional painter, and ask for various paint chips, and bring them home to see the different paints in your actual, physical lighting and living room! Please post photos of your progress, and good luck! :)
  • PRO
    A Crew of Two
    10 years ago
    I am not liking the white...it seems so stark.
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    I like the white, love a clean and modern base and white walls myself. I think the stone from the fireplace, the different woods and the furniture bring enough colour into the room :-)
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    Something like the Filmy Green would be my choice. Hmm... but I do like the Onion too. Ah well, it's not up to me :-)
  • PRO
    A Crew of Two
    10 years ago
    I usually do like white...just not loving it here...sorry
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    No need to say sorry, it's just personal opinions most of the time and fortunately we don't all think the same about these things. It would be a bland, bland world if we did.
  • PRO
    A Crew of Two
    10 years ago
    I think the green undertones are perfect for the room- they make the FP pop!
  • Ed
    10 years ago
    Hi Tym -- here are two more, just for fun :) -- Sherwin-Williams --
    1. SW 6375 Honeycomb.
    2. SW 6270 Soulmate --
  • Ed
    10 years ago
    Hi Tym, this one is a bit more subdued than Honeycomb --
    Sherwin-Williams SW 6123 Baguette --
  • Ed
    10 years ago
    Hi Tym -- your photo is very "photogenic" for trying different paints ! :) Of the above, there are about 10 that look nice on my monitor ! You have a nice "dilemma" :)
    Nice flooring, too -- you mentioned yellow oak -- is it sold oak ? :)
  • leonoz
    10 years ago
    For the most natural look, choose a cream-white from your fireplace, and you'll have a beautiful seamless wall color that will match your floors.
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    Ed, could you try a creamy white? Like Venetian Lace or something similar?
  • tymcio
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    thank you all for taking the time to make suggestions. I will keep everyones comments in mind. A special thanks to Ed for all the variations in wall colors. It really helps to actually see the differences. I like several of them. But this makes it easier to know the direction. I'll post the photo when finished. thank you so very much!
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    We'd love to see the end result. Good luck :-)
  • Ed
    10 years ago
    Tym, you are very welcome! Carolins, sorry, I closed the software before I read about the creamy white idea. :)
  • Carolina
    10 years ago
    No worries Ed :-D
  • PRO
    Oak & Broad
    10 years ago
    A Jacobean or darker stain would look great on those oak floors. :-)
  • mefor
    10 years ago
    Hi, I just wanted to add a color to your suggestions. I have a stone house with a later addition clad in hardi board, I painted it in Benjamin Moore HC Nantucket gray. It looks great with the stone and its a really nice neutral. I paired it with BM Featherbed for the trim, a really bright cream, white trimwork can look very flat next to the stone.
  • mefor
    10 years ago
    I know this is only about paint colors, but I think the colors you like would really look great with a darker stain on your oak floors, the post above mine is spot on. I won't mention anything outside you're topic again ;)
  • tymcio
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I appreciate any and all suggestions. We have been working toward a mid century modern look from a barn beam and cedar farm-house or country- look and truly appreciate any advise. I really wanted to go back to clean white walls but I think Kelly is right — it just might be too contrasty, too stark. I've even considered painting the fireplace gray. I will check out all the neutral paint colors above as suggested. thank you.