Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lifespalette

OLLD 5/23

S. Thomas Kutch
10 years ago
Wakie, wakie everybody..........time to get up....damn nobody's listening to me. Bunch of slackers.

Sitting with my grandson's this morning (early). Daughter called on way to ER begging for kittypa to go sit with sleeping grandson....I'm such an easy mark..... I've got to do something about that.

So .... what's on everybody's schedule to day? Can't be much......CAUSE YOU ALL ARE BURNING DAY LIGHT......!

Comments (124)

• Robin W
    10 years ago
    For price tags if you don't have goo-gone, sometimes nail polish remover works as long as it won't wreck the surface.

And in case you're wondering (and I'm sure you all) about how to unstick your fingers when you crazy glue them together (because really, who hasn't done that?!?) - supposedly nail polish remover. I had to research it on a call I did a few years ago for a lady who was fixing her shoes at midnight and accidentally got her fingers stuck. We didn't have any at the time so we used a nail file to get them apart, but google never lies, right?
  • charleee
    10 years ago
    Ha! The internet never lies! Robin, you don't have super glue remover?
  • kimdee24
    10 years ago
    bobbi - yes, I was out of there by 9am... then I went to HomeSense, since I had time to kill before my meeting. I found a picture for the den, and I gave in... and bought one of those ceramic garden stool things that seem to be all the rage right now... because it was teal, and because I need something to put my drink on next to the sofa. Back home, dropped off the winter tires.

After that, I had a meeting with a client, we had lunch, back to the office for another meeting. Tile guy rescheduled for tomorrow... so I went back to HomeSense to pick up the picture I bought earlier (which almost didn't fit in my truck). Then back home, hung the picture and for the last hour I have been contemplating what to do with the guest bedroom...

I'm contemplating painting these. Maybe grey?
  • charleee
    10 years ago
    Good grief, Kimdee! You sure know how to pack a lot of living into one day! Yes, I think they would look good grey. I had a set similar from my grandparents and I painted it grey. Small world!
  • kimdee24
    10 years ago
    How would I go about that? Any advice? I'm scared that I'll wreck them! They are maple/maple veneer. Probably have some kind of poly on top. I'd probably have to sand first. And I'd want a paint that wouldn't chip or scrape off I guess.

Must research.
  • charleee
    10 years ago
    Behr has a new enamel paint especially made for cabinets. It's supposed to not chip. Maybe you could try it? I would first degloss/degrease with either TSP or magic eraser, rinse and allow to dry. Then sand. Or send it out and have it professionally sprayed!
  • Robin W
    10 years ago
    Wow! Busy day.

I contemplated doing something. Then I thought better of it.

I used a melamine paint on my kitchen cabinets. It's more of a self-leveling paint than a normal latex. Supposed to b reasonably resistant to scratches and moisture. I've only had the doors up now for 2 months but so far so good.
  • Robin W
    10 years ago
    I'm so tired I can barely type properly.
  • kimdee24
    10 years ago
    I was just reading where someone used Benjamin Moore ADVANCE® Waterborne Interior Alkyd Paint with great results (cleans up with soap and water).
  • Jayme H.
    10 years ago
    Thank u all for your concern/advise...My son did go to a treatment Ct. ...got into a lot of legal trouble in 2011, which costed us 7,500 for the attorney...then he began with "episodes"...?hallucinations, paranoia, delusions. We don't know if he fried his brain on synthetic drugs and/or if he has a true disorder..all the testing is NOS (Not otherwise specified)...not enough criteria to put a name to it....he is good for several days to weeks, then gets odd again. I do know some of it is learned dysfunctional behavior for which I have decided to address by placing limits and expectations on him...ie: a behavioral plan. It worked in the group homes I worked at and although he is not dev. delayed...I know he can learn and improve.

-It means a lot to me to receive your kind and caring words of support, thank you so much...you are wonderful people.

@Bobbi... May 1, I live in Grand Forks, ND.
  • charleee
    10 years ago
    Jayme, my sincere sympathies. I know what you're talking about, I really do. It's so darn hard sometimes you think you're going to lose your mind. I've had experiences similar to yours and you get so tired and so frustrated and you think you're never going to have a life outside of taking care of his. I absolutely promise you, it will get better! You did the right thing, don't second guess yourself and don't look back, only forward, ok?
  • charleee
    10 years ago
    Ok, off course for a minute but did anyone see the end of the season finale of Criminal Minds last night? My DVR cut off after 75 minutes and it was a 2 hour how. Maybe I should get a VCR?
  • Jayme H.
    10 years ago
    Thanks Bobbi!! Much appreciated :)

I prayed to God, all the angels & all our passed on relatives to help..With my Grandmother's rosary in my hand...and hung it on his bed post some weeks ago. Maybe this was something I needed to do in order for him to do better. Hoping, anyway.
  • charleee
    10 years ago
    Of course! We never give up hope, even if it does us in!
  • charleee
    10 years ago
    Holy moley, Houzz emals just kicked in and I'm getting bombarded!
  • Jayme H.
    10 years ago
    I don't get emails..I have my settings set so I get very few.
  • Jayme H.
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    This is cute
  • armygirl1987
    10 years ago
    Hi Jayme, This Too Shall Pass and keep on praying and know that you did all you could do and it is now up to him.
  • armygirl1987
    10 years ago
    Home from a long day, gonna get something to eat and hopefully try to get some sleep but I doubt it.
  • olldroo
    10 years ago
    Morning all, running a bit late today, been cruising other threads - I always save the best till last. Gotta write a book again to catch up with you all.

Kutchie, kids are so cute at how they come up with names. My grands had 4 grandparents and 3 great-grandparents and finding distinguishing names gets difficult, especially when some outspoken ones insist on having a particular name. I loved the dogma, that would have fitted my MIL perfectly. When my first joey was born she insisted SHE had to be called grandma and my mother had to find another name. Told her that suited my mother fine - grandma was sooooooo OLD.

You sure have had a rough ride with your daughter, drugs would be the hardest thing to deal with but I am really thrilled all is well in her world now. I'm glad she is running the mini-marathons, exercise is one of the best forms of rehab there is.

Robin - I speak with much experience when I say nail polish remover definitely unsticks Super Glued fingers. It takes a bit but it does work. I failed kindergarten - I am a total loser when it comes to glues and paint.

Sticky labels on glass or stickers on fridges and stuff come off with a wipe of Peppermint Oil too.

kd - I painted my veneer vanity successfully last year. I bought a special undercoat that has adhering qualities and you can use on glass, plastics........... any surface not normally painted. I gave it all a light sand before and after undercoating and then just used two coats of a water based semi gloss paint. I actually painted it the same colour as the walls and with the same paint. So far so good.

When the joeys were young we had a lot of painted furniture to jazz up their rooms and I only ever used Dulux full gloss oil on them as it was the only paint that seemed to give with any dings, it didn't chip like other enamels did. I have my old coffee table in the lounge room I want to paint next as the veneer has had it on that. I'm not sure what colour I'm painting it yet but I was thinking of using the left over wall paint which is only a low sheen and putting a clear poly over the top. I believe you can do that ok.

I think I'm going to have to take lesson in boredom from you - you certainly made up for your slow start this morning, I could do with some of that.

Jayme - I can't believe the coincidences here - last night one of our current affairs programmes did a piece on new synthetic drugs that are on the market now and are actually legal - they are not classified as prohibited drugs like heroin or coke, because they are synthetic but they have the same effects on the body. They showed a whole gallery of people's faces taken before drugs and after (how the sight of them doesn't get through I don't know) and they also showed scans of brains of addicts, honestly, they just looked like cheese. Trying to keep up with all these loopholes in the law is getting ridiculous.

Bobbi - Birthday 29/12. You forgot Feeny, Michi, Mendi, Busy, and I'm sure I will think of more. I got a calendar this year from my car mechanic that has all sorts of holidays and special days right round the world. I had been going to note each one on our threads but it sort of got buried with all the upheaval here.

So today - being Friday here - would have been Queen Victoria's birthday and tomorrow is the National Day for Jordan and Argentina.

AND for all your puffers - next Friday is World No Tobacco Day - START PRACTICING!!
  • charleee
    10 years ago
    NO!

Hahaha! I thought you were out cruising the streets!! Feeny, and Michi never check in any more. Mendi and Busy yes, also TK!
  • olldroo
    10 years ago
    Angela, I won't talk to you if you don't talk to me :) Seriously, get away from the computer, it can cause the brain to become to active to sleep, and do something relaxing, read a book - not a text book - play some soothing music in the background and try a cup of camomile tea. Focus on a good half hour wind down before bed.
  • olldroo
    10 years ago
    Don't talk back at me Bobbi, I'm older than you are!!!

Michi has made the odd comment lately.

Meant to ask too - Astraea - what is your new picture??
  • charleee
    10 years ago
    Yeah, yeah, yeah. hehehe
  • armygirl1987
    10 years ago
    Roo-YES MAAM, I AM GETTING UP FROM THE COMPUTER NOW. Bobbi-see if the episode is available on CBS.COM. Good night all
  • armygirl1987
    10 years ago
    Roo-looks like your fertilizer is an Australian thing but I am going to see if they sell it here.
  • olldroo
    10 years ago
    See Bobbi - take a lesson from Angela, that is what I like to hear.
  • olldroo
    10 years ago
    Angela which fertilizer? The Dynamic Lifter?
  • armygirl1987
    10 years ago
    Yes the Dynamic Lifter.
  • olldroo
    10 years ago
    Angela, just found this website - very interesting and DIY

http://www.winderdoon.com/Vegetables/fertiliser.htm

Looks like Yates, who make the Dynamic Lifter are only in Australia and New Zealand, but the ingredients might help you identify something similar.
  • charleee
    10 years ago
    Don't mess with me tonight! I'm younger and faster than you!
  • olldroo
    10 years ago
    The day may come you will be tested on that!
  • armygirl1987
    10 years ago
    You too cut it out. Roo- in bed and Bobbi-watching Criminal Mind
  • olldroo
    10 years ago
    I'm having lunch - you go to bed, you need the sleep. Don't know if tonight is a good night for Bobbi to be watching Criminal Minds. :)
  • Robin W
    10 years ago
    @roo - What cracked us up about this crazy glue call was not that she crazy glued her fingers together at midnight in a seniors lodge but rather that she was blind and trying to fix her shoes at midnight. Because she was blind, she had no nail polish or remover and being that it was midnight, all the neighbours were sleeping.
  • olldroo
    10 years ago
    Oh, crickey, I can see it now ................. this is your life!!! I think I am too dangerous to get old.
  • charleee
    10 years ago
    You're definitely dangerous! And old.....hehehe
  • olldroo
    10 years ago
    Stop watching Criminal Minds - you are getting too many ideas!!!

Gotta dash to the bank, my new lounge room furniture comes tonight Yippeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!
  • kimdee24
    10 years ago
    Omg, so... after everything else today, I sat down after making dinner and suddenly realized it was 6pm and I forgot about my pedicure appointment! So I jump up, dash into my room to change, run out the door and make it to my appointment 15 minutes late!

I can't believe I forgot! As I'm running out the door, they're calling asking where I am! It's only 10 minutes from my house, but by the time I got there I was so frazzled. Anyhow. Got my toes painted, albeit a shortened pedi, and then went for a drink and snack with the girlfriend I was meeting.

I am officially DONE for the day.

D.O.N.E.
  • olldroo
    10 years ago
    KD - Goodness you are officially an OLLD!!! At least you got in a well earned drink.

Raced down to the bank and on the way home stopped to look at TVs and bought one. Probably making bad judgements here, but I am so over the hassle of deciding on things. DD was not very impressed, they found a brand on-line I have never heard of but which they think is better than the run of the mill brands, but I just find on-line shopping for things like this too much of a hassle. It was going to cost over $100 for delivery and then I would have the hassle and cost of getting rid of my old TV and have to wait on dd to come and install it for me. This way I have it all delivered, installed and the old one removed AND I get a 3 year "no lemon" warranty on it and it is no hassle for anyone. The one on-line had so much technical information that left me cold, was totally over my head, and that put me off all the more. As I said to the guy at the shop, I want a TV I don't need a degree in rocket science to use.
  • armygirl1987
    10 years ago
    Morning Roo, did not sleep well, back pain was roaring its head.
  • Jayme H.
    10 years ago
    Sorry Angela...Hope it gets better and u have a wonderful day!!
  • armygirl1987
    10 years ago
    Thanks Jayme
  • olldroo
    10 years ago
    Sorry to hear that Angela. Do you normally have a back problem or was it due to things you were doing yesterday.
  • armygirl1987
    10 years ago
    Yes, chronic from military duty.
  • olldroo
    10 years ago
    Oh, yuk, I feel for you.
  • armygirl1987
    10 years ago
    Yeah, muscle relaxer works but did not want to oversleep so I did not take any meds last night.
  • armygirl1987
    10 years ago
    I am an OLLD because my body feels that way, but my mind and heart is quite young.
  • olldroo
    10 years ago
    My biggest problem is getting through to my head that the body isn't 20 any more. Hard when you have to toss up between oversleeping or no sleep. Are there any exercises or stretching you can do for relief?
  • armygirl1987
    10 years ago
    Stretching and walking sometimes help.