Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
symphonycook

Fireplace Mantel in Need of Help

symphonycook
10 years ago
Please help me accessorize the area above and around our living room fireplace. I ADORE the deer head and I like the navy wall, but I'm at a loss as to where to go from here. It's in my direct line of sight when I sit at the sofa and very borring to look at. I added three photos of other areas of the room to give you an idea of what the space looks like. The room is modern/transitional, the rest of the house is traditional. All the furniture from our previous moden apartment ended up in the room, hence the giant IKEA piece that houses our TV. The room is a large rectangle, the fireplace is in the corner of the room. Everything is fare game and all ideas are welcome!! : )

To give you an idea of scale the mantel is 7' 4" wide and 9" deep. There are 43" from the top of the ceiling to the top of the mantel, the ceilings are approximately 8' high and the navy wall is approximately 9' wide.

Comments (12)

• colonialgp
    10 years ago
    Like the navy and deer head and the room furnishings over all. Paint the brick on the fireplace white and remove the brass doors. However, the biggest issue in the room is that TV which seems to take over the room.
  • Kari Palomo
    10 years ago
    I love your style! I agree about the brass fireplace doors being a distraction, but I'm not sure if I would paint the brick. For the mantel I'd suggest some tall white votives grouped together and maybe something to tie in the red or coral color I see in your awesome lamps.
  • PRO
    Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
    10 years ago
    I wonder what a high gloss gray to match the wall color would look like on the fireplace surround? Or high gloss navy. Paint the brick white, remove the brass doors and get a fire screen.

This is the time of year when deer have their babies so perhaps a pair of smaller deer heads should be added to keep Papa deer company, one on each side and slightly lower. Then you might need nothing on the mantel. But in the meantime, try a short stack of books on one side and a pitcher with fresh flowers on the other.

Another idea would be a grouping of white vases in various sizes parading across the mantel similar to what vases of another color are doing below. The white will need to be close to the white of the deer. Check out the ones below from West Elm.
    Modern Mediterranean · More Info

Pure White Ceramic Vase Collection · More Info
  • studio10001
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
  • symphonycook
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I shopped my home and added a few things, but I think they are still totally wrong for the space. I agree the brass door needs to go. It came with the house but doesn't actually fit the opening, it's too small. I grabbed the screen from our other fireplace, temporarily. I don't think my added accessories provide enough contrast. Carolyn, I think you nailed it with the recommendation of white vases. Studio10001, I wasn't sure about changing the brick because it's a reoccurring theme in the house, but I love the subway tile you imaged, it looks like it would work with both a traditional and transitional space, it makes me a convert! I also love the idea of adding other smaller white laquer heads. Colonialgp, the TV does take over the room. Unfortunately it's the only room with enough wall space to accomodate the system and its relatively new, bought for our last place where it worked really well, so we're not ready to part with it yet and feel sort of stuck. That being said, we really only use the room to watch TV, we have a separate den where our guests usually congregate.
  • Linda Jones
    10 years ago
    The white books on the right in the third photo look like their scale and weight are perfect. Still need something else for the left, because the plant is too dark.
  • Walter Comstock
    10 years ago
    First thing you need to do is buy some black firebox paint and paint the interior of the fireplace. Your house looks great how about facing the brick with some great glass tile with gray or silver. The items you have placed on the mantel are to common, you need some "Wow" to go with that head. How about a grouping of 3 Large (diam.) candles of 3 different heights on one end, and something in silver for the other end to go with the new silver tiles. lol Good luck
  • tennisanyone
    10 years ago
    It looks great without the brass screen but I would not use what you have on the fireplace mantel especially the white magazine holders and peacock feathers. Try to find things that are similiar in feeling to the deer head.
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    One of the really nice things about those West Elm white vases is that they have a matte finish which should match the finish on your dear deer.
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    I love your look! Maybe do a white wash (gloss) on the brick. Some of the red warmth in the brick will peek through and will pick up the warmth of your coral lamp. Love the lamp! The accessories on the mantle are not large enough in scale. I feel they could move a little closer to the center. They seem like they may fall off. Just me.

White wash brick, but it will tend to feel a little more casual.
    lowcountry river house · More Info

Master Bedroom Fireplace · More Info

These are black and white in the photo - just an idea
    Black/White Willow Leaves Vase · More Info
    notNeutral - Links Black Vase Set · More Info
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    10 years ago
    Another thought for the brick is to just use white paint on the grout only. That will bring the brick and mantle more cohesive together. It may look a little busier but not if your mantle accessories are clean and simple and white.
    my entry to my office · More Info