Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
colleen100

Pull this room together please! Curtains or drapes?

Colleen
10 years ago
Curtains/drapes? What color would do best here? The wall color is bm Capri coast. The sofa is an olive/brown. The rug has multi colors of sage, red, blue, gold. I just put in this dark brown ottoman. Help please? Do I need a solid drape or something with a pattern or plaid? Should i lose the plant in the corner?My style is traditional.

Comments (136)

• mjmil
    10 years ago
  • Colleen
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Kathyrn, awesome suggestions and thank you all for the help...I loved the Ballards pinch pleated drapes but waiting a day too long to order them. Sold out :( I am considering the essential Ballards panels now. Looking at the colors I wonder if I would go with the Natural Burlap or the Bark Twill color. I like the walmart drapes but think they are too loud for my room. The colors are pretty though. I may just try them. Kathryn, the color background of my curtains are black with rose, olive, gold colors throughout the valances. The rug does not have plum color. Just sage, beige, terracotta, gold navy blue and a softer blue mix.
  • Mark
    10 years ago
    I like the bark twill and natural burlap, try them both Colleen.
  • Colleen
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks mark! I will do that. Hand by clips? Or do you suggest slide through on the drapery rod?
  • Colleen
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Ll
  • Mark
    10 years ago
    If hanging by clips like Carolyn suggested with pic further up, that shows the rod, I like that the best but both would work.
  • PRO
    Kathryn Peltier Design
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Hi Carolyn: yes, hang them by clips or actually sew a metal ring onto them. They will hang much better that way and will be easier to pull back. I would go with the burlap which will pick up the beige in the rug as well as suit the overall color scheme of the room, I think (the other color you're talking about is the Chocolate Twill in this drapery, right? Maybe too dark and the twill won't give you the same amount of texture either) Just MHO!
  • Mark
    10 years ago
    Kathryn their is one called Bark twill, not the Chocolate Twill that Colleen suggested she liked. I think she should try both the Bark twill and the Natural burlap. Better for her to have at least a couple of choices to look at.
  • PRO
    Kathryn Peltier Design
    10 years ago
    Hi Mark: I tried to find that color on the rod-pocket drapery and I didn't see it. That's why I thought it might be just a selection for the fringed drapery, which is out of stock (and the link doesn't take me to it anymore)
  • PRO
    Kathryn Peltier Design
    10 years ago
    Oh, sorry - now I see it. I was looking for something darker I guess. Yes, I agree: they are two different colors. I still like the rough hand of the burlap though ;-)
  • Mark
    10 years ago
    I see, well I think you have been a great help to her, I like the direction you are taking. Good job Kathryn !
  • PRO
    Kathryn Peltier Design
    10 years ago
    Thanks, Mark - I haven't done more than anyone else. Just glad I found something Carolyn likes!
  • Colleen
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you both! I ordered both for option. I will keep you posted!!!
  • Colleen
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    The Ballard drapes arrives. Hmmm I need some help here. They are the burlap material and quite rough and crisp. I temporarily hung to show color. It is nighttime here so jot a lot of light. If I keep them???i would hang on new rod 1 in thick and rings/clips? Would I raise the pole? These are all over the floor at 96 inches or hem? Thoughts anyone?? Thanks!!!!
  • PRO
    Kathryn Peltier Design
    10 years ago
    I like the color a lot - it seems like the right amount of saturation and it seems to pull some color from the rug. They do look very bunchy, but that is why I think they have to be hung with rings. Unfortunately, they are not going to have the same crispness that the pinch-pleated ones would have had, but I think that will be OK, as long as you like it. Are these washable? I wonder if washing them and using fabric softened would help make them hang a bit better. Or, steaming maybe?
  • eileenmcf
    10 years ago
    Looking good! I am thinking a thick dark rod would look
    Good,wooden rings possibly.
  • PRO
    Cheery Curtains
    10 years ago
    I would recommend this curtain design
    Phoebe Printed Springtime Grommet Linen Curtains · More Info
  • Colleen
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you Cheri. I think the colors are too yellows for this room. Pretty tho.
  • Colleen
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Do u all recommend the short poles. One in left and one on right?? Can't recall the ne but it eliminates the middle???
  • Mark
    10 years ago
    In the new pictures your walls look yellow, at least on my computer. Do you see that on your computer Colleen? I don't like how the drapes hang and not sure about the color I think you should take pictures in the daylight because the color looks different in both pictures.
  • Colleen
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Will do mark! Soon:)
  • Colleen
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I'm about to cry! Lol I
    In bed bath and beyond shopping for poles and rings.
  • Mark
    10 years ago
    That should make them hang better. I would also hang them close to the ceiling.
  • Colleen
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Mark my walls are so not that yellow. That does look crazy. I will redo once home.
  • Colleen
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Yes I thought I would need to do hat also. Higher if possible. I found a chocolate color pile 1 1/4 in and large rings.
  • Colleen
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    One more shot in daytime.
  • PRO
    Kathryn Peltier Design
    10 years ago
    That looks better. They are too long, so they aren't hanging right. Rather than move the rods, you could rehem them. I still would like to see an edging of the olive green on these to tie them in, although I think the color is fine.
  • Mark
    10 years ago
    Did you order the Bark twill ?
  • PRO
    Kathryn Peltier Design
    10 years ago
    I hate to even say this, but if these don't ultimately work, how about:
    http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=115794&COL=3042&RN=695& The "Herb" color looks VERY close to your couch upholstery.

These in the "Moss" might be too green, but you could go brighter with the "Spice" or subtle with the "Gold".
    http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=207210&COL=310&RN=2167&
  • vickishaub
    10 years ago
    Colleen Ive read a lot of the posts and see that you said you went to JCP but did you look on line? I just looked and thye have several choices for pinch pleats. I've got to say I'm not a fan of the burlap at all and think you need to go with more color and texture or color and print. JCP's drapes/curtains are currently on sale for 40% off. I just purchased some but haven't received them yet.
  • Colleen
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Yes mark I did order bark twill bit the color was not good at all:(. Didn't even take it out of the bag. It was way off and not a good blend with the sofa. I am not happy at all with the burlap color. :(. I will look only at jcp.
  • Colleen
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Kathryn,
    Thank you so much ... They look better than what I have but I really don't want grommet. It just looks so much more casual to in the room. To for the suggestions tho:)
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    Mjmil. Posted some good panels. You can buy ready made did you try bed bath & beyond? How long do,you need?
  • cheenah
    10 years ago
    What I first noticed about the room (after your initial changes) was all the flat, square shapes. I suggest accessories that add dimension, such as light sconces in the corner behind the sofa (antique bronze?). Round box pillows and/or a neckroll in place of square pillows could provide interest, as well. On my computer, the wall color looks too "mint" and I suspect that sofa and rug need a pale sage or ochre wall color (less blue, more gold). Good luck with the project and remember to keep it fun, not agony :)
  • Colleen
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Travis I need 96 but wll need to hem. May even move the poles higher but the 84 in is too short. I did try bbb.
  • kath203
    10 years ago
    Check out ikea's drapes. They are not hemmed and come in long lengths and come with an iron on tape to use when hemming.
  • mjmil
    10 years ago
    JC Penny is having a 40% off sale on their curtains. They have some nice choices.
  • Colleen
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I did peek at jcp online but the colors are not working for the colors I am working with. Losing battle here.
  • PRO
    Kathryn Peltier Design
    10 years ago
    Time for Calico Corners...
  • Colleen
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Kathryn, it's more of an issue of availability with JCP. Their current stock of pinch pleats are being discontinued so most are sold out in the colors that would work well in my room.
  • Mark
    10 years ago
    colleen have you checked Sears online?
  • PRO
    Kathryn Peltier Design
    10 years ago
    How about these, Colleen? http://www.westelm.com/products/circle-stitch-printed-window-panel-green-tea-t531/?pkey=cwindow-panels-curtains-shades&cm_src=window-panels-curtains-shades||NoFacet-_-NoFacet-_--_-
    I really like the subtle pattern, nice texture, just enough color in a hint of green.

Also, have you ever checked out Smith and Noble? Check out their X Pleat drapery - similar to a pinch pleat but a little less formal. I think it would look nice in your room. They have a large selection of fabrics from which to select.
    http://www.smithandnoble.com/category/curtains-drapes/pleated-drapery
  • Mark
    10 years ago
    The first one looks very nice. Worth trying I think.
  • Colleen
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I do like the first one alot!!! It is however not returnable :( Just peeking at the smith and noble now.
  • Colleen
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Still with the same sheer brown curtains that don't fit but I did add some colorful pillows! Love the color it brought into the room.
  • Colleen
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Seeing it again on the screen ..is it too much? LOL
  • PRO
    Kathryn Peltier Design
    10 years ago
    Yes, I think it is. I would remove the two reddish florals & maybe the "grassy" pattern. I think they compete too much with the paisleys - which are really nice. I like the plaid - could you do another one of those maybe?

As far as draperies, I would just stick with what you have until the right ones come along. There is no point in replacing something you dont' like with something you just don't dislike a little less ;-)
  • vickishaub
    10 years ago
    i was just referred to a website for drapes called halfpricedrapes.com. My fried say she bought the faux silk taffeta drapes and they are interlined with flannel and backed with drapery backing. They do allow returns, but will also do special orders. they offer swatches before you buy as well.
  • Colleen
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you both so much! Kathryn, I did remove the floral two pillows. I see this does work better without them. I am sticking with the drapes until the right ones come along. Tired of rushing it to finish it. I will be waiting for now. Vicki I will look at the site now. Thanks so much!!!
  • PRO
    Kathryn Peltier Design
    10 years ago
    Wow - a new resource! Thanks vickishaub! Colleen, there are a couple that look like they might work for you and as Vicki said, you can get a fabric sample for 99 cents.