Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chris_72653

Installing a bathroom exhaust fan on a vaulted ceiling

Does installing a bathroom exhaust fan on a vaulted ceiling affect performance? I've read great reviews about the newer high CFM exhaust fans but I have seen some complaints from those who had them installed on vaulted ceilings. I'll be remodeling my bathrooms soon and will be popping the flat ceilings and creating vaulted ones so that the bathrooms look and feel bigger and so that they are not as enclosed where mold will grow. Any advice would be most appreciated!

Comments (13)

• 6 years ago

When you buy the fan, they'll be sized for certain size rooms--with 8-foot ceilings. So, the cubic footage of air in your bath will me much greater than of a bathroom with a similar footprint and 8-foot ceilings. Make sure you take the extra volume into account when buying the fan.

I don't know what the complaints are that you refer to. Make sure you address them when you do yours.

• 6 years ago

Thank you. I am accounting for the extra volume and plan to buy fans with higher CFMs to accommodate the higher ceilings, but I've been reading complaints about the fans being noisy when installed on vaulted ceilings. I understand that duct work needs to go straight out of the fan for three feet before an elbow can be added and vented out of the roof. I'm wondering how the fan can be vented appropriately if it's installed on a vaulted ceiling. I don't know how venting can go out three feet straight if the fan is installed on a vaulted ceiling. Appreciate your thoughts on this!

• 6 years ago

Chris - How did this turn out? Do you mind sharing any tips.

• 6 years ago

Hi! Due to a number of construction delays - surprise! - the fans have not been installed yet! Hard to believe, but I'm waiting for the contractor to find time to get back to my project. I'll post here when they are installed. Thanks for asking!

• 6 years ago

So, finally! Both fans are now installed and are working well. The contractor ensured that there was a 3 foot length straight piece of duct leading directly out of each fan to maximize airflow and minimize noise. I realize now that part of my initial confusion was that I thought that the hole where the duct work attaches to was straight up out of the top of the fan when it actually is on its side making it easier to attach a 3 foot length straight piece of duct. Both fans really are very quiet and it's barely detectable when they are operating. I can feel air swirling around when they are running also which is something I never noticed with my previous fans. I purchased the WhisperCeiling 190 CFM and the WhisperCeiling 110 CFM, both from Panasonic. I am very pleased with these purchases and would recommend them. Thanks for your thoughts and advice on all of this!

• 6 years ago

Chris - do you mind uploading a picture here. If not, it's cool. Appreciate the details.

• 5 years ago

Hi Chris - I am very much interested in knowing how you have concealed or covered the duct connecting from the vent fan? How to make it look nice? A picture would help a lot.

• 5 years ago

chris where did this get mounted? im building an extension with a vaulted ceiling. however im not sure where i can put it and still gain access should i need

• 5 years ago

Hi everyone! Sorry for the delay in responding.

I'm attaching two pics of the Panasonic exhaust fan mounted on a vaulted ceiling in my master bath. There's at least three feet in either direction up or down the vaulted ceiling to accommodate that required three-foot straight piece of duct, so the fan is very quiet. The fan works great and I'm delighted that I bought it.

• 5 years ago

I'm also attaching two pics of the other Panasonic exhaust fan that I had installed on the flat ceiling in my guest bathroom. There's at least three feet in two directions to accommodate that required three-foot piece of duct as well. I also had the contractor install a sun tunnel in this interior bathroom to provide a light source during the day without having to turn on a light. Great solution for an otherwise dark room.

• 4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I'm in the middle of a remodel and wish to add an exhaust fan to a master bathroom as well. The problem is I've called the fan manufacture and they've told me the fan will likley not last very long. The reason given for this is becuase they say the fan is designed to operate at a level position. Further, the bearings will wear out sooner due to the un-even weight distribution while operating. My bathroom ceiling has a greater pitch than the one in Chris' photos.

• 2 months ago

Hi there! I bought a Velux brand pitched sun tunnel skylight to accommodate my vaulted ceiling. My contractor had to order an extension also. The model number is TMR 010 0000E0 and the extension is ZTR 010 0002. I have two Velux skylights in my kitchen and have been very happy with them over the years, so I figured that a Velux sun tunnel might also be a good product. And it is! No need to turn a light on in my interior guest bath. As long as there's daylight, there's light in the bathroom. It is a bit tricky to remove the clear shield that is flush with the ceiling to clean out any dead bugs, but aside from that, it's been great. Since I bought this more than six years ago, I thought I'd check Consumer Reports for you to see if there are any reviews on these items, but I can't seem to find any even using the terms, "tubular skylights" and "solar pipes", so there's no help there. Regarding buying them, I'd check online sources as well as brick and mortar home improvement stores. Good luck with this project!