Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elizabethberesford

need help with interior design for my dining room

elizabethberesford
10 years ago
I need help for my dining room. My dining room is small and open to the kitchen. It looks plain and boring. I am clueless as to how to make it inviting and how to make dining room and kitchen flow to each other. Tablecloth? Flowers? Artworks? Any decorating advice will be highly appreciated. Thank you very much.

Comments (34)

• User
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    I will leave most of the design suggestions to the pros, but I think adding a chandelier and a rug will go a long way to making the room look more complete. The artwork looks a bit small on the wall. I am wondering if you have room for a shallow sideboard so that the art can be hung over it, perhaps with some lamps.
  • yagaut7
    10 years ago
    Hi, i like the kitchen cabinets. Where did you buy them?
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    Add 8 x10 area rug, in gold, cream, and black. Add panels on ends only on bay window. In a black and cream trellis pattern. Do not place anything on ledge. Put a big mirror in dark frame. On wall 6 x 5 ft run horizontally . Add a dark bamboo shade to kitchen window. Add same shades to each bay window. Home Depot has them. Place large wooden bowl fill with green apples on table. Get canister set in apple green. Put in corner add tall glass tubes fill with colored pasta, faux lemons and limes. For color and interest. Put wine bottles in wine rack just a few. Traders joes $2.49 a bottle. In corner by mirror and window add a tall bamboo plant put in nice pot. Or basket.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    You could also change fabric on chairs to zebra black and white. Easy to do remove seats and place fabric right over old. Cut after on set you can staple or leave. Measure seat size, then ask how much fabric you need.not expensive. Would add a lot.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    Painting a latte color would blend both rms better.
  • handymam
    10 years ago
    I think the paint color is a little too subtle. It needs something with a little more color to bring these rooms to life.

Either choose something from the art you have hanging (which may actually be a bit small for the space, but is lovely) or get a new larger piece of art and pick a color from that, keeping in mind the wood you have in the cabinets. A lighting fixture that hangs down, though not necessarily a chandelier would bring a sense of drama also.
  • decoenthusiaste
    10 years ago
    Fill the cabinet with glass shelves and sparkling crystal. Paint a warmer greige. Try turning your table on an angle - it is working for lots of people.
  • Deb Higgs
    10 years ago
    I am assuming dining room is open to living or great room? A quick fix would be to add a tablecloth with coordinating colors from living room under glass table topper. Don't go too kitschy, but it would warm the space up a bit.
  • leelee
    10 years ago
    Did you just move in? Everything looks beautiful and expensive but it's sterile. You could jazz up with high quality canisters on your counter.
  • leelee
    10 years ago
    Also, agree with sam0705 about the chandelier.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    Yes add chandelier. Something big drum style. With black shade.
  • handymam
    10 years ago
    A nice rug and chair cushions that coordinate would be nice, as well as some window treatments to warm up the windows.
  • leelee
    10 years ago
    Consider adding slipcovers to your chairs for a real update in your room.
  • leelee
    10 years ago
    A much larger picture or a group of 4 on the dining room wall. This one is 40 x 60
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    Leelee, like the slip covers. Would break up so much wood. Michaels carry some.
  • PRO
    Scott Design, Inc.
    10 years ago
    Consider an art print room divider or shoji screen. You can place it in the corner to the right of the bay to bring in color or style and it can be very practical when you want to hide the messy kitchen from dining guests ...you know how those last minute pots and pans can pile up in an attempt to get the food to the table still warm!
    http://www.orientalfurniture.com/printed-room-dividers.html

Also, it looks like you have a fixture over the sink. Why not think about a pendant?
  • leelee
    10 years ago
    I can't imagine this kitchen ever being a mess ; )
  • marilynellis
    10 years ago
    Since the dining room set is Chinese modern, why not add some Asian elements in the kitchen to tie it all together. Change the traditional pix on the dining room wall to something with an Asian flavor. Perhaps a triptych. You can find pagoda shaped canisters online as well as floral arrangements with an Asian flair too. Bamboo accents, koi fish, ikebana, etc. The possibilities are endless.
  • Keitha
    10 years ago
    Lovely kitchen but you are right it does need to be more inviting. I suggest that since you already have so much dark wood in the table/chairs, cabinets and dark flooring you should consider removing 2 of the chairs and replace them with upholstered ones. Also as Sam mentioned, a chandelier would be nice as well. To soften all the hard edges in the room stationary drapery panels on each side of the bay window would do the trick! Replace the somewhat dated piece of artwork with something large and dramatic and add a centerpiece to the table... No tablecloth please. Great room to work with, enjoy!
  • elizabethberesford
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you very much for your suggestions. They are all very helpful.

Yes. The dining room is open to the living room. I attached the photo of my living room which is quite empty now.

I like the idea to use slipcovers to break up so much wood. Should I go for the longer slipcovers which cover the chair legs or shorter one showing the chair legs?

The dining room is 2.85mx3.53m (9 feet 4 inches x11 feet 7 inches). I am afraid that there is no room for room divider or sideboard.

Hi, yagaut7, I don’t know where the previous owner got the kitchen cabinets. But I think I saw these cabinets in the Home Depot.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    Slip overs to floor in a bright color. Use same color in a print for rug. And decor items for counter tops.
  • elizabethberesford
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you travisinteriors. Should I go for relaxed fit or stretch form fit as below?
  • elizabethberesford
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    relaxed fit slipcover
  • elizabethberesford
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    another relaxed fit slipcover.
  • leelee
    10 years ago
    Go with relaxed fit not stretch...much classier but without the bows on the back.
  • elizabethberesford
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you leelee. should I go for white or cream color?
  • leelee
    10 years ago
    I think either would be fine but make sure the cream looks right with your cream walls. Walls look cream on my screen.

If you get white cotton they can be bleached if necessary. I might go in that direction. Bring home both and see what you think.
  • elizabethberesford
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you for your suggestions. I am not sure about my wall color. It cream mixes with a little bit grey. Sometimes, it looks very very light grey color. What do you think of this Iron Black Chandelier?
  • Darzy
    10 years ago
    Hi...I'm late to the party and great ideas above. Instead of painting, how about adding some pattern, shine and wow with a pretty silvery wallpaper on the wall with the art? I like the idea of slipcovering the chairs. Do you need seating for 8 daily? I think I'd remove the leaf and have seating for six and make the room feel more spacious. I like the chandelier you show but I'm not sure it works perfect with your dining set.
    utopia projects · More Info
  • Darzy
    10 years ago
    Oh..you asked about tying the rooms together. How about picking an accent color, then putting a large pot or a small collection of ceramic vases on the table. Then pinch pleat demi-panels for the sides of the bay window. Then, the kitchen window pinch pleat cafe' curtains in a coordinating color/fabric? Bringing in the same accent color (different shades of the accent color is even more interesting) in all three spaces will give you a cohesive design.

Sask Cres Dining Room · More Info
  • Darzy
    10 years ago
    PS..Oops! What Keitha said! : )
  • elizabethberesford
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you Darzy. No. I don't need seating for 8 daily. I certainly can remove the leaf:) Do you think what kind of chandelier would work with my dining set? how about the below?
  • alsagal
    9 years ago

IF this is to be a relatively formal dining room, and not a breakfast room, then treat it that way. A rug identifies it as a specific area - the dining room. Follow the suggestions to change the chair seats. Plan the rug and fabric for the chairs together. this is so you don't do one thing then discover the other thing you want to add, doesn't match.

A table runner is easier than a table cloth.

Do remove the small picture. All those people have advised that it is too small - I agree. So find artwork that you like, either large or several medium size. Look at other dining rooms on Houzz to see how they manage wall art. Eye level, sitting down please. and include an attractive chandelier.

Elegant kitchens do not use cutesy canisters, but if you are aiming for country or rustic, then cute canisters are fine. Lots of wood needs to be softened. Fabric at windows will help. Part of the problem is the yellow toned tile the cherry cabinetry, and the different color wood of the dining room table. Suggest you do not additional wood colors to the windows nor dark metal to the chandelier. Consider a hangin fixture in the kitchen