Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rwillekes

OLLD 7/1

Robin W
10 years ago
Good morning OLLD's! Happy July 1! To those of us in Canada, we celebrate our nation's birthday today. And for everyone else, today is officially known as 'Creative Ice Cream Flavour Day' as well as 'International Joke Day'.

In July, we also celebrate 'National Blueberry Month', 'National Anti-boredom Month', 'National Cell Phone Courtesy Month', 'National Hot Dog Month', 'National Ice Cream Month', and in case you're wondering, officially, July is considered to be an unlucky month for weddings.

There. You've all learned a little bit today. Have a wonderful day everyone!

Comments (198)

• Robin W
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Hands down, best place to shop!!!
  • Robin W
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Well, I'm running early so I'm headed off to work and stopping to pick up food on my way. I'll try to check in later barring craziness.
  • mpoulsom
    10 years ago
    good luck robin!
  • mefor
    10 years ago
    Now American eagle, calmer, doesn't smell, everything's on sale, aaaaaahhhhh, better. Now if we could just go home and eat. Starving!!!
  • mefor
    10 years ago
    Be careful robin! :)
  • kimdee24
    10 years ago
    Do you have a friend that just. has. to. be. right. all. the. time? Ugh. I'm so irritated right now. After my round today my friend starts telling me that I got *my* score wrong. And the girl who was riding with me, hers too. I'm like... uh, I'm pretty sure I got it right seeing as how I asked her and wrote her score down after every hole when we got back in the cart. And she gave me a bogey on a hole I took a par on...remember, I had a four foot putt for birdie and missed? WTF. First of all, who asked her to keep my score anyhow? And if she's gonna do it, get it right. Good grief, I am ticked.

Deeeeep breath.....

@Jayme -- it doesn't sound crazy to me in the least. I am what some would call... an empath. (I can't even believe I'm typing this). I am very sensitive to other people's energy, so much so that sometimes I don't know what is my stuff and what is someone else's. I am particularly sensitive to certain people who are close to me, which is even odder (it's difficult usually to get stuff on people you know). I have dreams that are true, and I get pictures/feelings in my head sometimes of things I can't possibly know, but... So... that's just how *weird* I am sometimes... lol Hope you all still love me anyhow! [insert heart smiley here]
  • armygirl1987
    10 years ago
    Kimdee- you want me to come up an drop kick her for you. I don't care that someone is annoying you.
  • pattyannb
    10 years ago
    Hi all... Taking a break out of the heat! It's pretty hot out there, but I am loving it! Something we don't get much of around here...

Kimdee... I love people like you... I am pretty shy and most people think I am just a snob... Totally opposite..
    It's people like you that pick up on it and give me a chance to open up a little...
  • pattyannb
    10 years ago
    Angela! Now that is funny... I am surprised, but still think it's funny...
  • armygirl1987
    10 years ago
    So I got some not so good news today. I had already decided this morning that I had plant the Crotons too close. Why you all didn't say something. Anyway, came home and move them. Fertilize and water.
  • kimdee24
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Thanks, Angela... I'll get over it. I am more irritated with myself for not saying anything to her at the time, and I should have. I have a bad habit of swallowing things when I should just spit it out... tactfully.

Thanks, Patty... I do my best wherever I can!

Here's a story about my 'weirdness'... I worked for this company for 7 some years, and I had my most favorite pressman -- always had a kind word to say and always willing to help me out in a pinch. Great guy. After I left, he got cancer and fought it for a long time. I hadn't been in touch with anyone at my former work for a very long time (not having left on the greatest terms), but one morning I just had this... urge... to call and ask about him. So I called, and said to the receptionist, "Hey, Annette, it's Kim... I'm just calling about Laune..." And the other end got really really quiet and finally she said, "... how did you know..?" He had passed away in the night and she just got the call about it. I just... knew. And I think he 'told' me. So I would know.
  • Jayme H.
    10 years ago
    @kimdee...I have had a few experiences that were odd...Also gets lots of feelings about people and situations.

-My husband gets amazed. IDK if I am just a good judge of character or paranoid! LOL

-That "friend" sounds like a pain in the arse! Must be jealous of your game!
  • kimdee24
    10 years ago
    I don't know what her problem was. Trying to shake it off. And I suspect you're a good judge of character, and intuitive. It's a good thing, (most of the time). Sometimes, I know stuff about people that I really... don't want to know. lol
  • armygirl1987
    10 years ago
    I agree it is prob jealous or the skirt.
  • kimdee24
    10 years ago
    Probably the skirt. lol
  • armygirl1987
    10 years ago
    Kimdee girl we love you, weird. empath an all. You have not figure out that all of us weird. That is why we check in
  • Jeannie Nguyen
    10 years ago
    Just jumping in on the Creative Ice Cream Day. I created a little Monday Mixer you ladies might like to chime in on for this holiday! ;) Would love to hear what you guys have to say!
    https://www.houzz.com/discussions/monday-mixer-how-do-you-decorate-with-ice-cream-colors-dsvw-vd~539486
  • kimdee24
    10 years ago
    Thanks, Jeannie, I will check it out.

Robin -- be careful out there tonight, okay?
    Angela -- ((((hugs))))) thanks! I love you all too!
  • armygirl1987
    10 years ago
    Wow, quiet tonight
  • elcieg
    10 years ago
    mforr, a PIMPETTE.
  • Jayme H.
    10 years ago
    Weird is an understatement for me. LOL
  • Robin W
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Our provincial legislature. This is where I'm hanging out tonight.
  • kimdee24
    10 years ago
    What in the heck are they doing to it now? At least you will get to see the fireworks?
  • armygirl1987
    10 years ago
    Mp- i live in Miramar, Fl between Miami and Ft Lauderdale
  • Robin W
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Redoing the dome. It's still gorgeous :) and a beautiful day!
  • kimdee24
    10 years ago
    I guess I need to get downtown more often. I had no idea they were renovating it.
  • Robin W
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    And my ride until 1am
  • armygirl1987
    10 years ago
    Robin, you are one badass girl
  • kimdee24
    10 years ago
    Auntie Eztia -- Robin is pretty amazing -- but so are you! xoxo
  • armygirl1987
    10 years ago
    Night guys. Yard work today got me tired and my shins are killing me
  • Robin W
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks all. You are all amazing!!!
  • kimdee24
    10 years ago
    Nite, Angela!
  • kimdee24
    10 years ago
    Well, I guess I am off to bed too. Sleep well everyone.

Ms. Roo, when you make it to the bottom of this thread, i hope you have a great day with your grandjoeys and hopefully we'll see you in the (my) morning.
  • Robin W
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Fireworks time!!!
  • olldroo
    10 years ago
    G'day all and Happy Birthday Canada. Only taken me 3 hours to catch up with you. Not safe to take a day off.

Don't know if I could handle a month of ice cream though - well the hips certainly couldn't. My fave - rum and raisin!!! But then I guess that wouldn't come as too much of a surprise.

Funny you all talking about sleep, I had a terrible night the night before last but last night don't even remember getting into bed and slept like a baby all night. So QUESTION?? Why is it you have a terrible night, then a great one and still feel like @#$%@??

Our weather has now become extremely civilised and we have beautiful blue skies again. I love winter days like this, the sky is crisscrossed with vapour trails from the planes flying over, it looks really pretty.

I was really shocked at the news of the deaths of the firefighters in Arizona. It must have been a very intense fire for that to have happened when they were all so experienced.

Angela, your garden is looking so lush, I am really jealous. Our winters are just a little too cold for most of your plants, but that would be my ideal garden.

Someone mentioned changing the colours of hydrangea. It is all to do with the acid level in the soil, but we can buy a liquid that you pour on the soil to change the colours. White are always white and can't be changed, only the blue and pink.

Bobbi, trying to blow some of our cold your way - how dare they even think about not acting on your a/c in the sort of weather you are having. Tell them the hot weather makes you do evil things and they could be held liable :)))

Robin, hope your ankle heals soon, that must be so hard for you, especially if you have to lift or support people. Your comment about limping to patients really made me laugh, I could really see the funny side of that, but that would be my warped sense of humour too. Reminded me of when my eldest joey had to have her 4 wisdom teeth out in hospital but the weekend before had been involved in a surf boat accident and was on crutches. Really had the nursing staff confused when she was wandering the hospital on crutches after having 4 teeth out.
  • olldroo
    10 years ago
    So the grands had a great day with the animals yesterday and we sure picked an excellent day to go, we almost had the place to ourselves and as we were there fairly early the animals had hardly been fed so were very keen to have the kids hand feed them. I did suggest to them that the animals needed better training - quite a few times we caught them out enjoying themselves openly. Bit hard to always expain to kids. I did get a bit concerned though when a rooster was peacefully walking in front of us and a brush turkey (twice it's size) came from nowhere and jumped on it.
  • olldroo
    10 years ago
    He actually has teeth, just the angle and a very big grin. Miss 7 is the one who has the picket fence at the moment.

Last I heard from Antoinette they had had a huge storm that caused a lot of damage to their garden but she made no mention of how the bamboo had stood up to it. She also had a big job up in the mountains that was going to keep her otherwise amused for a while.
  • Robin W
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Didn't get a chance to get my ice cream today. Too busy at work. We did get to take in most of the fireworks though.
  • olldroo
    10 years ago
    Fireworks are fun, even though they can be a bit same old/same old. How did your ankle survive?
  • Robin W
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Those were taken with my iPhone believe it or not! Ankle held up great. It's slightly sore but nothing crazy.
  • olldroo
    10 years ago
    Pamela = kangaroos behaved themselves, forgotten which animals were not on their best behaviour, but the birds were the worst.

iPhones do take great photos, I have a friend who is a pro photographer and he is amazed at some photos he has seen and it takes a lot to impress him. Sometimes I get a bit fed up with everyone being so over the top with them - they see something, take a photo and in seconds have it downloaded on Facebook and are chatting to friends about it and ignoring the people they are out with. If you use a mobile a lot, they are really good with everything they do. I hardly have use for a mobile, but got myself an iPod to use FaceTime with dd and I use it so much it is really handy. It was great when I was trying to get the renovations organised to make notes as I shopped and take photos of things I saw. I know I could do a lot more with it, but I'm trying hard to stay away from all this new technology, too time wasting.
  • olldroo
    10 years ago
    Nearly forgot, Miss 7 has the lorrikeets well trained now, they are here every morning waiting for her ........... except this morning. She got back from swimming training and was looking out for them and calling them (like birds come when called!!!) but the only bird on the balcony was a Noisy Mynah so she calls across to it "Mynah, would you please go and find the lorrikeets and tell them I am waiting to feed them". The Mynah promptly flew off - they don't stay still for more than a few seconds - and would you believe it 2 mins later the lorrikeets appeared. She is quite convinced the Mynah found them and gave them her message. Now to convince her she isn't Dr. Doolittle!!!!
  • olldroo
    10 years ago
    Pamela - are you watching the final episodes of Packed to the Rafters tonight? Double episode which means it will finish late and supposed to be a tissue job too. Disappointed to see it end, I find it so watchable.
  • evierh
    10 years ago
    Roo - Is "Packed to the Rafters" a series in Australia? Why aren't more of your shows broadcast in the States .. we get so much good stuff from Britain!!

Love all your birds & animals down under!

Robin - Your "transportation" reminds me of the British series, "Call the Midwife", where they nurses got around the east end of London on bicycles .. in the 1950s!
  • charleee
    10 years ago
    Morning all, I opened 7/2, fingers crossed!
  • olldroo
    10 years ago
    Astraea - yes Packed to the Rafters is a once a year series and this was the 6th series. DD read that they will probably do a mini series covering 12 months on. Left quite a few things unfinished, although not important, but being such a family series, you just want to know. The family featured in the series have the surname Rafter - hence the name. It is a really nothing sort of show about every day life in a family and their ups and downs but it is really put together well and it covers many issues of everyday life people have to cope with.

You can watch some of the latest episodes here - http://au.tv.yahoo.com/plus7/packed-to-the-rafters/-/watch/17790068/tue-2-jul-series-6-episode-11/
  • evierh
    10 years ago
    Roo - That sounds like the series "Seventh Heaven," which was on for 11 years here. The father was a minister & they had 7 children .. so that's relatable to people of all ages: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0115083/
  • armygirl1987
    10 years ago
    I use to love that show Astraea.
  • evierh
    10 years ago
    Angela - I liked that it was on long enough for the children to all grow up a little, not like some shows where they seem frozen in time! It's popularity also proved that a show didn't have to be obscene either!
  • armygirl1987
    10 years ago
    I also loved the theme of it and yes so much has changed on tv now. Thank God my daughter is older.