Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ana474

Has anyone come up with innovative ideas for closet spaces?

ana474
10 years ago
last modified: 10 years ago
I have a 5800 sq foot home, but my closet in the master is only 5x6' and I ran out of space years ago. In that 5x6' space I can only occupy 3 walls since there is double mirror sliding doors into the closet. I have clothing in my office closet, guest room closet, and have had to put shoes and handbags into my linen closet in the bedroom (towels and linens now reside in the bathroom cabinets, which creates a whole other issue).

This closet issue has gotten to the point of looking for another home (I do not want to leave my home, I love every other aspect of it), but this issue is a real bad one to me and gets very frustrating.

I have a super long hallway leading to the master bath 3 feet wide and i wanted to have the entire 2 closets (husbands is 5x5') ripped out and an open closet concept made in that hallway to triple the space for closets.

The problem I have with redoing this concept is after 3 quotes the lowest quote I have had is 26,000, highest doing paint grade wood at $64K. I don't know if I am being unreasonable, but $26K for mica closets seems like a TON for a closet :P

So what i am asking is has anyone found a way to increase closet space in an innovative way without having to travel an entire house looking for your clothing that needs hanging and accessories like shoes and handbags? I would really love to see photos or hear some thoughts :)

Comments (7)

• Tenant Proof
    10 years ago
    You might want to consider how often you wear and use certain items and get rid of some of them. It can seem overwhelming at first to consider doing this. One way is to first try things on and see what fits or is out of style then donating for a tax write or selling it at a resale store. Some resale store specialize in very high end items which sounds as though it may apply to you with the size of your home. Another way is to turn items on hangers inside out and then at the end of a month, six months you see which items have not been worn and donate or resell those items to consignment shops. For shoes and handbags I recommend putting a slip of paper with the date you have last worn the item and then checking them after several months. You might want to do the same with hubby's closet.

If you still need space after doing these things. You might consider purchasing rolling racks and locating items in the attic or basement perhaps by category: evening gowns with matching shoes and handbags. You can store the shoes and handbags for the evening in clear plastic containers and stack them so you can see at a glance what you have. You could also store away seasonal items if you live in an area with drastic temperature seasonal fluctuations. Another option if you have wall space in the bedroom is to purchase kitchen pantry cabinets with a pull out shelving to store bags and shoes, of course the door style should be in keeping with the style of your home. If the guest room is not used that often you could create a whole wall of such storage for your items at a fraction of the price quoted to you. I hope this helps.
  • ana474
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you both for all the suggestions. I would consider myself one of the most organized people I know, which is why I never considered a personal organizer, but maybe it is possible just to consult for an hour or so and see if there is any ideas I might not have thought of. I always hear of personal organizers wanting people to purge and I have no desire to purge anything I have. I love every piece I have, I never buy unless I love something.

I may not wear clothing once a month, as I have more bras than I could go through in a month lol, so my clothing is far beyond that. I know that sounds bad, but girls will be girls, right?

I guess for most the answer is purge purge purge, but when one takes their time picking pieces that are not too trendy and are of good quality why should we have to purge just because the closet is too small? I am looking for innovative ways to store hanging items, shoes, bags, accessories, etc not get rid of them. :) I have also obviously stopped buying anything at all in 2 years due to no more space.

Tenant Proof, if I had an attic or basement I would have def used those spaces (gee what i would do for that kind of space), but I am in Florida and storing in an attic here would be in boxes and very very hot in the attic and no basements here. I do not really have seasonal items, again problem with living in Florida :)

Also, the size of my home really is large yes, but we bought it 14 yrs ago before the real estate hike so got it for what you would pay for 3000 sq feet today even after the bottom out of real estate currently :) We could never afford this home if we had bought in the last 5-6 yrs.

Wondering if anyone finds it tacky to have a glass cabinet in the bedroom and store handbags or shoes in a glass cabinet? I am on the fence with this one, I am really trying to think out of the box, but scared about anyone that sees my bedroom thinking "what was she thinking putting her shoes and bags on display?" I guess these kinds of innovative things are what I am looking for that are 'acceptable' if someone were too see.
  • Momof5x
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    The problem with closets is that once you put something on the lower deck there is still lots of higher empty space. For bags, you want them to be easily accessible. I suggest getting 'S' hooks for hanging leather bags, and stack other into piles in 2-3 rows in the closet. The other thing is to buy a trunk and keeps some handbags there too. I recently bought handbag organizers which hang in the closet, and has pockets on either side. They usually carry six bags ( or shoes) so you can have several of those hanging in the closet if you have the space length wise if not better piled in their protective bags. One time in a smaller house, I actually stored my handbags in a tall laundry basket, looked very nice in the room too!
  • PRO
    Artwork
    10 years ago
    I would get rid of the sliding mirror doors. Replace them with double swinging doors. You could then attach either wire baskets or millwork shelves, hooks, etc to the back of the door. Think of it like a pantry cabinet in your kitchen. If you swing open both doors you have 30 sq. ft. of storage space at your finger tips. It helps to have a quality door hung with three hinges secured with long screws into the framing (At least one per hinge).

If you are in love with the mirrors, swinging doors can be fitted with them. Just use flush, solid core doors and use heavy duty touch latches to avoid the door handle. The mirrors can also be drilled for large cabinet style pulls if you prefer.
  • apple_pie_order
    10 years ago
    Thank you for explaining the large size of your collection and your choices. Some larger wardrobes are stored in glass fronted cabinets. You might like to page through the "Storage and Closet" photo section of Houzz to see how organizers can be designed. This one is a Houzz favorite:
    Master Closet Hers' · More Info

A good personal organizer can show you options for storage that are new and efficient. Spend a couple hundred dollars first on her services, then the money to be spent on remodelling can be optimized.

Depending on your climate, you might want a dedicated cedar closet for storing woolens. It's annoying to find moth holes in favorite sweaters.
  • apple_pie_order
    10 years ago
    @ana474: you may also get some more suggestions if you post photos or a floor plan.