Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nicejuice

Bet this will stump you like it does me....

nicejuice
10 years ago
My townhouse living room has a great view of a marina and we are right on the water with many windows in an octagonal room that is 3 stories high. There is a fireplace on one side, windows on 3 sides and is open to the dining area on another side. Therefore there is very little wall space for furniture placement. And I have a grand piano to deal with. Can anyone suggest where to put my furniture - 96"long sofa, 2 wing chairs, piano, sofa table and 3 side tables? I have been looking for a better cocktail table but don't know what would be right.
The first photo is from the 3rd floor looking down which gives the best view of the floor plan. The 2nd photo is looking into the living area from the dining area.

Any other suggestions would be wonderful and appreciated. Kathy

Comments (15)

• lilion
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Woyuld something like this work? With only one couch, of course. I love the look of chairs on either side of the fireplace and the sofa facing it. That leaves space to the window side to place the piano. (FYI - I found this by doing a search for 'piano fireplace'.
    Traditional Family Room · More Info
    nicejuice thanked lilion
  • 2taniya
    10 years ago
    I would float the sofa into the living room facing the fireplace at the same angle at the fireplace, then I would try the wing chairs by the fireplace as in lilion's suggestion/picture which should give you a nice conversational grouping. That allows one of the wing chairs to be close to a window with a side table as a reading area - LOVE all the windows but you do have to protect the upholstery and the wood of the piano from too much sunlight damage. The long table with the two lamps goes behind the sofa on the side away from the fireplace. It looks like you have a round game table by the window? I think that could stay right there and enjoy all the light. One of your end tables may have to leave the room or sit in the area that currently holds the matching arm chairs. Get someone to help you move stuff around for a half a day and I think you will find a good arrangement. Enjoy!
    nicejuice thanked 2taniya
  • sh ca
    10 years ago
    Aside from the piano, which is always a problem, I think you are limiting your options by the amount of furniture that you are trying to place in the room. For starters, you have way too many tables, some of which are in the wrong position. For example, your coffee table is too small and would be better suited between your wing chairs, which currently have a chest between them which is much too tall. You have a console table with buffet lamps against the wall which doesn't seem to serve a purpose. What is the purpose of the garden stool and the octagon table? Which pieces are you willing to part with? Do you usually sit on the couch or in the chairs? How/how often do you use this room?
    nicejuice thanked sh ca
  • Nancy Walton
    10 years ago
    Ideally, a piano should be on an interior wall, away from drafts, which can affect the sounding board. If you place the piano against the stair wall where the two wing chairs are now, the sideboard behind the sofa instead of the round table, and move all toward the windows by about a foot, you will have lighting for the sofa. Then move the sofa to center on the window behind it. Place the two wing chairs with the octagonal table between them facing the fireplace, slightly angled toward each other. The red chest that is now between the two chairs could be put on the wall where the sideboard was. You could also use an area rug to anchor the seating area.
    nicejuice thanked Nancy Walton
  • lilion
    10 years ago
    Just a thought. The piano would have to be further along the wall, I'd imaine. Couch angled to follow the window angle and white chairs facing the fireplace?
    Haliho · More Info
  • Nancy Walton
    10 years ago
    If the piano on the stair wall is placed with its flat side to the wall, facing toward the dining room, the small end would be as you enter the room, allowing room for traffic pattern, and the pianist would be facing the "audience," which is what you would want.
  • nicejuice
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I used to have it like that but it seems like the piano stuck out too far into the room and blocked the view of the fireplace as you entered the space. But it is better for the piano to be there rather than on the outside wall
  • nicejuice
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I guess I could edit some of my furniture-like scaplan says. I bought the garden stool for a pop of color like the pillows and it is handy to put a drink on. Wasn't sure if the sofa table was too short for the long sofa so I put it on a wall
  • tennisanyone
    10 years ago
    I agree with everyone above. Float the sofa towards the fireplace, two wing chairs on either side of the fireplace, remove the tables and lamps and picture next to the fireplace and then make a decision on what needs to go. Of course the piano and the view should be the stars in the room. Can't wait to see what you do.
  • nicejuice
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I'm on the fence about the piano no one plays it here -it was bought for my daughter to learn about 25 yrs ago. It basically is a piece of furniture and is a display piece for photos ' flowers and Christmas decorations
    It really is too big for the room but my daughter lives in a mini studio in NYC so she can't take it. Do I keep it for her for maybe some day she will want it? Or do I try to sell it? Tough decision for me
  • decoenthusiaste
    10 years ago
    Personally, if no one is enjoying it, I'd want it to be played. Sell it and give her the money to replace it when she's ready to play again.
  • Nancy Walton
    10 years ago
    Yes, a piano that isn't played is likely to get a warped sounding board, especially if temperature and humidity are not controlled. Better to sell it and put the money aside.
  • yvesun
    10 years ago
    Why not move the piano to the dinning room and angle the two wing chairs with the coffee table in between them facing the piano? Place the dinning table infront of the large front window and place a vinette or china chiro on the stair side wall. Float the sofa in the middle of the room and place the sofa table behind it. I would add some light colourful prints on the walls and to keep it airy place two glass end tables infront of the couch.
  • sandeeteedee
    3 years ago

From the overhead view it's off balance but can be easily fixed by putting the sofa centered under the window instead of out from it, then the two chairs on either side around a (larger) cocktail table. The piano then can go against the wall where the chairs are now, flat side against the wall. And get all the other stuff out. Too many tables, all the wrong scale for this room. If no-one is playing the piano, I agree, sell it and save the $$ for your daughter when she wants to buy one someday. We had same problem moving piano from house to house for years and then finding no one wanted it- meanwhile spending money twice a year for tuneups and cleaning. The only reason to have a piano is to have people playing it regularly, and you certainly don't need it to support pictures and Christmas decorations. With much less furniture, and a big statement coffee table you will have a more elegant look plus a view of the fireplace. Don't center your furniture on that either, you are probably using that as much as the piano! Tell yourself 'less is more', and you will love it.