Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lsmythcass1

Desperately seeking exterior ideas

Lorraine Cassidy
10 years ago
We are renovating this Heritage building which is a combination of residential suites on the upper level and office space on the lower level. We need suggestions for what to do with the panels below the windows which are currently plywood painted white. We are considering wainscoting painted dark grey or stained a cedar color. What do you think?

Comments (13)

• PRO
    Kevin Patrick O'Brien Architect, Inc.
    10 years ago
    This building has great bones! Look at that brick work!! Cool!! Do you have a Downtown Design Review or Historical Society? Usually older buildings need to comply with someone's idea of what is appropriate! If there is a government "overlay" they usually have an architect consultant that can make suggestions and help you navigate the waters ahead of you! If there is NO requirements, we will gladly jump in!!!
    Lorraine Cassidy thanked Kevin Patrick O'Brien Architect, Inc.
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Before we get started, please have your neighbor relocate that satellite dish! It's giving me heartburn!!
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Also, it would help if you got up closer and uploaded a few more pics. There's something happening above the first floor windows and I'm not sure what that is. Maybe an awning left over?
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    @kelly, nice pics! Really like the awning and light fixture! And color suggestions are cool too! NICE..
  • PRO
    Scott Design, Inc.
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Consider exterior metallic paint with glaze. It's a great look and a great complement to brick and stone. It doesn't fade or "chalk". It is water based and non-toxic. It can be used on wood, concrete and stucco. It is used in high-end commercial, historical restoration and residential applications. Refer to this link for information and all 83 colors available in Blue Pearl Metallic Paints.
    http://www.metallicmart.com/Blue_Pearl_Metallic_Paint_s/1.htm

I suggest you consider the colors of the buildings on either side of you when selecting a color. Take a look at Aged Copper, Blackened Bronze and Charred Brown Brass. It can be applied with brush or roller but spray is the best technique.
    Lorraine Cassidy thanked Scott Design, Inc.
  • Lorraine Cassidy
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Hi everyone. Thanks for the great suggestions. Yes, we do have a Heritage Advisor: the defining elements on the exterior of the building are the brick work, the transom windows, the recessed entrances and the metal cornice above the first floor windows. We can not significantly alter those but are considering erecting a sign on the metal cornice since it is so banged up. I share your pain regarding the satellite dish! I would like to keep the black - do you all think the white trim is too stark?
  • PRO
    10 years ago
    Yes the white is too contrasting in my opinion. I like the direction @kelly was taking the discussion above. Her houzz images that she posted are way cool!!
  • Lorraine Cassidy
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Sorry, I meant to add that the Heritage advisor is not able to advise us on color, design elements, etc. aside from indicating that we can't make substantial changes to the defining elements. We live in a small town so the advisor is just a clerical position at the town office.
  • Brenda
    10 years ago
    love Kelly's green shade.
    Lorraine Cassidy thanked Brenda
  • felixgrantham
    10 years ago
    Agree, the white needs to go! I like the idea of introducing some color. I like the green, or you could go for a blue similar to the one in the picture below the green.
    Lorraine Cassidy thanked felixgrantham
  • pam
    8 years ago

I like the Peale green color with black awning.....white is too stark and the green/black looks "rich" and authentic to the period. Brass lighting would make a statement.

• pam
    8 years ago

wondering what you decided...... (I need to look at dates of posts!)