Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jordan_d

Large, dark living room with brick fireplace - paint color help please

Jordan
10 years ago
last modified: 10 years ago
I just purchased a big 1920s Craftsman-style bungalow, and I'm completely stumped on paint color for the large living room. The room has NO overhead lighting and there are no plans currently to put any in there - I'll be relying on lots of lamp lighting (I prefer it anyway!). Other parts of the house need more of the reno budget so I don't think I can do better lighting at this time.

There are yellowy wood floors and a huge brick fireplace with warmish brick (a 1970s addition, sigh). The picture with the rug is the adjoining dining room, which will soon be stripped of wallpaper. I'd like a color the complements the rug and generally warms/brightens the room(s). As you can tell from the pictures, I've tested many different colors with no success.

I tend to like bright colors and I'm willing to try something out of the ordinary if it works well for the space. I'm also struggling with the fact that the adjacent entry has cool-toned wood walls. I'm really not a neutrals person, generally speaking, but I'm open to it if it checks all the boxes.

Apologies for the random crap - reno stuff all over the place!

Comments (4)