Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aann01

12 Foot Ceiling with Built-Ins

2 years ago

I'm back with another design question :)

The Great Room ceilings in our new home are 12 feet tall. We have a floor to ceiling stone fireplace with a raised hearth. We are also doing built-in bookshelves on each side of the fireplace. Now that I have been in the space and realize HOW tall 12 foot ceilings are (which I love) I realize that doing the built-ins to ceiling height will look silly. Can someone provide some guidance on best way to "end" the top of the built-ins? I would prefer to have them more recessed into the wall but want to make sure I get this right since it's such a focal point. They are custom shelves so I can adjust as we see fit (also have an email into the cabinet maker for recommendations). Thank you in advance!

Comments (30)

• 2 years ago

Wow, lucky you! How tall are the entryway or doorway openings in the space? Maybe consider close to the same height or slightly higher to strike a balance.

• 2 years ago

@jackowskib - that’s a great idea! Then would you drywall down to the top of the built-ins?

• 2 years ago

Assuming the ceiling and adjacent walls are drywall, I imagine drywall would be above bookcases as well. Are you imagining something else above?

• 2 years ago

No I’m not. I think there’s two options (and curious if I missing any others).

1. Build into wall with drywall coming down to meet top of built ins.
    2. No drywall and top of built ins are exposed.

• 2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Also have 12 ft ceilings and the top of my family room built-in will match the top of my multi-slide doors, which is 10 ft. I don't have a fireplace. The unit will have crown and the space above will be open because I have beams in the room and don't want to crowd/touch them.

Without seeing the space and fireplace it is hard to say what would look better ... and some of that is very subjective and based on people's tastes. I like both photos you showed.

• PRO
    2 years ago

Can we see some pics of your space My question always is what do you have that needs display I find often people think they need display only to come back here to find out how to use the space since they usually did not plan on what needed to be displayed. Where is your TV going I sure hope not above the FP but I need pics.

• 2 years ago

In the first photo you show, notice the portrait light above the shelves. Nice.

• 2 years ago

I prefer your option 2. I have a double height ceiling in my living room and that's the way I am doing my built-ins. I am going to match the height to the opening to the dining room which is right next to where the built-ins will be.

• 2 years ago

Blvd. Co. Austin, TX.

• 2 years ago

@worthy - beautiful! Are those 12 feet ceilings?

• 2 years ago

This is current look of room. It’s open concept - kitchen is on opposite wall with a dining nook adjacent.

• 2 years ago

I would prefer to have them more recessed into the wall

Chances are that ship has sailed if the fireplace is on an exterior wall or if you can't afford the space to lose on the other side of an interior wall.

Depending on how far the stone projects from the wall, possible to build out the wall around bookcases as already suggested...but I would not want the fireplace & stone ending up looking buried between the bookcases. (This is why you should post a picture.)

• 2 years ago

Are those 12 feet ceilings?

Look to be, though there is an HVAC soffit that reduces the built-in height.

• 2 years ago

Is the stone going to wrap around the side of the fireplace? You need to plan carefully how that transition, from stone to wood, is going to be handled.

• PRO
    2 years ago

What does the designer of the house recommend? Lack of continuity in the design may make anything look bad.

• 2 years ago

Here's an example where they don't extend completely to the ceiling (12+ ft). There is a drywall build-out on the far side of the right built-in.

• PRO
    2 years ago

In order to decide what to do, you need to have an elevation drawn. If you have an architect or interior designer, that person should be capable of creating a scale drawing of the options available to you. You can show him/her photos of what you like, but until it's drawn to scale you won't know exactly what it will look like. The design drawing that you select then needs to be translated into construction drawings so that the finish carpenter can build it. If you do not have a professional yet, then either hire one unless you feel capable of drawing it yourself. It's too important a design element to leave to chance.

• 2 years ago

Thanks everyone for your feedback! I’ve spoken with my cabinet maker and house team and all agree that a 10 foot bookshelf would be more appropriate for the style of our home (although I do think a 12 foot with a ladder could be amazing in more traditional setting!). I now have two choices - a soffit or a flat wood face on the top of the cabinet. I like them both! Anything else I should consider?!

• 2 years ago

I think with stone on the fireplace I would do a soffit above the built-in and keep it simple.

• 2 years ago

Might consider Phantom Lighting, it allows you to light each shelf but the shelves are still adjustable. We got it 2 years ago for our bookcases, love it. https://www.phantomlighting.com/

• 4 months ago

A L0108 - do you have a photo of the final 10’ built ins in your 12’ ceiling space?

All other reference images I see are without stone wrap around fireplace so if you can share a photo that would be so helpful.

• 4 months ago

Amazing!! Thanks so much for sharing this picture.

• 4 months ago

Of course! Happy to help. Let me know if you have any questions or need any others :)

• 4 months ago

If you have time A L0108 can you take one more photo that is from a little further back so it’s a little wider for context?

I think our layouts are similar in that we also have a hallway with a lower ceiling height right next to the built-ins and I’m wondering if I should only do the built-in up to that height. Our great room with center fireplace is 12’ like yours, the hallway adjacent to it is 9’.

• 4 months ago

Hi Joyce! No problem at all. Here’s the built in next to our hall. The ceiling height is 12 feet here as well.

• 4 months ago

Also don’t mind the brown rug randomly placed there 🤦🏼‍♀️.

• 4 months ago

Here’s a full shot

• 4 months ago

Love it! This is so very helpful as we consider what to do, thanks again.

• PRO
    2 months ago

Not sure if you built your unit yet but you can always do a lower built in with floating shelves on top ….. asymmetrical layout and not go all the way up