Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
melanieguerrette

What fabric to use???

melanieguerrette
10 years ago
I am re-doing these old chairs. Painted one already and I was thinking of using this fabric. Thoughts?

Comments (129)

• PRO
    Lydia (Kazza Design)
    10 years ago
    My favourite is this one. The one with the brown background and flowers is nice also but I find the print is too big.....you would lose alot of the pretty elements of the fabric. It's best to go with a fabric that has a smaller more frequent repeat.
  • auntiebuzzybee
    10 years ago
    True enough point...hmm..but doesnt look bigger than fabrics posted before. Someone else said they didn't like the use of a small print such as Melanie's orange swatch early on..I don't like the fabric on the left, regardless of where it's used. I do NOT vote for that one for sure. I love the other one so much, I think I'd be buying a lot of it! What great sofa pillows that would make...or window seat upholstery...AND SURPRISINGLY, I'm not a brown or orange person so I surprise myself . For these chairs, from what I can see, this just nails it!
    Melanie has probably already finished this project, she's so fast paced. Hello? Melanie?
  • Kathy
    10 years ago
    These look like they could be dressing room chairs if they are so low. Do each one different and sell as such. Colors and fabric jhang you think would go in bedrooms. White, pink, or green paint with barkcloth seats for shabby chic style or girls room. Metallic paint with linen for more subdued.
    Fun project.
  • melanieguerrette
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I bought this fabric because it was $5. Don't think this is the one.
  • melanieguerrette
    Original Author
    10 years ago
  • melanieguerrette
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    The greens are actually much lighter than they look.
  • Cindy Hannon
    10 years ago
    It actually is nice, very formal. I like... guess what I got today curbside... side table to the set I just did... minus the top. Since it will all be painted anyway, figured we can make a top. It is in good shape, what do people do anyway lol. I like the chair, but if you don't use it you can make pillows :)
  • PRO
    Veronica Lawrence Interiors
    10 years ago
    I like your first choice that you started out with.
  • melanieguerrette
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Woop woop!!!! Cindy you're on a roll! Glad you said that the fabric isn't bad, it's going to be the one. I can't bear to go back to the store AGAIN. Fabric ladies are snobby.
  • melanieguerrette
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Done!
  • abbyjean
    10 years ago
    VERY NICE and you have to feel sooooooo good right about now! Hip Hip Hooray!!!
  • User
    10 years ago
    Very nice! They look great!
  • PRO
    Lydia (Kazza Design)
    10 years ago
    Much better than the zebra! I'm glad you went a bit retro. Great choice at a great price!
  • melanieguerrette
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thanks everyone. Couldn't do it without you guys (heart) (for Cindy) :)
  • beeloved
    10 years ago
    Love that fabric! Well done.
  • auntiebuzzybee
    10 years ago
    hey! the design echoes the shape of the chair...don't you think?
  • auntiebuzzybee
    10 years ago
    I said it before, I say it again...Go, Cindy,Go!!! WHOOOP! WHOOP!WHOOP!
  • melanieguerrette
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Besellers, ummm ya. It does. That was TOTALLY on purpose. (*wink). In case you thought I was sitting here growing moss, here is the next project. I bought glass knobs and was going to paint it very light yellow, and stain the top.
  • auntiebuzzybee
    10 years ago
    It will be gorgeous! Dark brown stain? How many holes for knobs? Round ones? I can't see
  • auntiebuzzybee
    10 years ago
    I'm glad I was able to follow in your dust on the fabric? This I'd better than "lumosity"!
  • Cindy Hannon
    10 years ago
    lol...(heart) back atcha... they are charming! Love them!
  • melanieguerrette
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    HAHAHAHA you really crack me up! It's fun to do projects so I try and get as much done as possible before "real" work comes back! Yes, dark stain on the top. Two knobs, round. My teenager asks me why I'm smiling at my phone, it's cuz I'm reading these messages!
  • auntiebuzzybee
    10 years ago
    That's right ,because the teenage girl's messages are all drama, right? The plans for this chest are dancing like little sugarplums in your head and you are probably jumping up in the night to run to your garage to do more> You have been a designing bee queen lately...I mean, between the dumpster diving, selling your first piece, starting the "diamond finds" in your mighty special $3 paint, the fabric store, and now another chest! TA-DA! The women in the store just aren't having enough fun! (I say that mildly) Oh well...vroom...there she goes! Beep Beep! DOing any decoupage or mod-pag? did I say that correctly? I don't know why it has it's own style name but her ugly cabinet sure looked better. Before pictures looked like it could be qualified as "curb appeal" stuff. So what are your plans, Miss Melanie. Cindy has a chair to paint that she forgot to paint before. Cindy has her "CO-ordinating accssory piece" to her other furniture and possibly, maybe she picked up that clock yesterday? Hello AbbyJean, I was wondering where you went. And I have to say, I think we lost Lefty47 when this post developed off the other one..any way, some nice folks we haven't heard from that I was thinking about.
  • Cindy Hannon
    10 years ago
    How did I not see your next project??? (heart)! Color, knobs, stained top and everything! Have fun! I hope you find a buyer for those great chairs... Guess that is why they look so good, the shapes in the pattern!
  • Cindy Hannon
    10 years ago
    Bsellers...you are funny! It was a mirror and was gone Sunday...someone needed it :) Now I will see if houzz can handle my smiley face! The next project for me (I am having a hard time deciding to do now or not) Will be the double dresser and hutch top (the mate to the peices I just did) but in a different room it will be smokey amethyst color with pewter (actually called smokey) top and silver hardware. I hesitate about begining it now because there is so much on my plate and in 10 days we get company from Australia. But it will be so nice to have it done and in her room! Then next month my mother and niece both come...would be nice to have it painted! It has more detail than the tripple dresser had, but I can always do the detail work later (like I am now with my black furniture...adding the details nearly two years after it was painted) Have to pick tiles out and decide how we will treat our bedroom fireplace.... UGH! That settles it, I am going to make my coffee NOW! (6:!! here in NY at the moment)
  • Cindy Hannon
    10 years ago
    PS. Melanie... did you consider stenciling on that piece? It would be a nice canvas for that... oh no! My tab for the charming french inspired stencils... I must have closed it accidentally... one more thing to do... search my history button... or google it
  • Cindy Hannon
    10 years ago
    Whew! Found and pinned to my piintrest board "I love Color"... won't loose that again found an extra one too lol.
  • melanieguerrette
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    LADIES!! Look what I got today for free!!! And a matching nightstand :)
  • beeloved
    10 years ago
    Fantastic! Looks great.
  • PRO
    ZS Interior Design
    10 years ago
    Love the color of chairs and fabric.
  • auntiebuzzybee
    10 years ago
    Melanie, that THAT is gorgeous! Don't tell me you're going to paint that! It looks glowing good condition? Not? Sure looks good from here. Chest and 1 nightstand? Funny, that's all they bought/we had growing up was 1 nightstand. Nobody had 2 matching stands.
    Seriously, Mel, that's pretty wood. Very pretty. What decade is that? What's the center design?
  • melanieguerrette
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Hey bsellers, it is in very good condition, the nightstand might have some scratches on the top, but I will look more closely tonight. I have no idea about the type of wood or decade, but I THINK it may be 50's/60's? It has dovetail joints. I have never seen a design on the front of the drawers like that before. No! It will not be painted! That would be a sin!!!!
  • Cindy Hannon
    10 years ago
    I have never seen anything like that either.. the detail looks great! It looks similar to what my grandmother had...yes, 50's and could it be mahogany?
  • beeloved
    10 years ago
    The chest is beautiful and I wouldn't paint it either. But I might consider painting the inside of the drawers a fun colour.
  • melanieguerrette
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    It could be mahogany, but I'm not sure how to find out.... Any ideas?
  • auntiebuzzybee
    10 years ago
    No, I wouldn't paint inside of drawers either. Wouldn't make sense to do that to me. Ask a cabinetmaker, finish carpenter or fine furniture company about wood perhaps?
  • melanieguerrette
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Meh, I'm not that concerned about it. That sounds like a lot of effort! I like this so much I might actually keep it for myself, although people in Calgary are asking $400 - $600 for similar pieces
  • auntiebuzzybee
    10 years ago
    Exactly, so why don't you deserve it for yourself?
  • auntiebuzzybee
    10 years ago
    Unless you don't like it personally that much.
  • auntiebuzzybee
    10 years ago
    Did someone give to you?
  • Elisa Jed
    10 years ago
    I agree with the black and white - the green may not match exactly and with dining room furniture everything fades at different paces. Other than that - I think it will look great!
  • melanieguerrette
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Well technically yes, a lady was giving it away for free on kijiji :) and I DO like it enough to keep!! But the cash keeps calling my name hahah
  • auntiebuzzybee
    10 years ago
    Is kijiji a Canadian thing? I keep seeing that mentioned but don't know what it is really
  • auntiebuzzybee
    10 years ago
    @Elisa Jed were you meaning something here?
  • melanieguerrette
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    It's similar to Craig's List, but I find it MUCH easier to go through. Must be a Canadian thing :)
  • auntiebuzzybee
    10 years ago
    Melanie, as much as you love retro...do you/have you gone on websites :

Retrorenovation.com

Savethepinkbathroom.com- see Best bathroom renos for cute inspirational ideas

Retrorejuvination for retro hardware etc. Products

Schoolhouse electric for lighting fixtures and shades

Thank you, Mamie Eisenhower! :-)
  • Cindy Hannon
    10 years ago
    Just a note...I found a new site for vintage furniture renovations... they line the drawers with fabric. I thought of it, but just used the paper. Thought I'd share that with you Melanie... I suppose you could use diluted modpoge to do it, unless there is a fabric glue which would probably be better. What have you been up to? Got my other dresser/hutch done and found curbside a matching side table (minus the top which we will have to make) other than that it is in good shape! I will have photos of mine up on my page later.
  • auntiebuzzybee
    10 years ago
    OH MY! GOOD MORNING,CINDY! I'm thrilled to hear from you again. My morning was made bright straight from the start because of you popping up on my radar! I sat here just typing away for about thirty mins... scrolled back up to see about your company coming... I knew it was a friend from Australia but thinking your Mom and sister to follow???? so.. I went back to check and BAMMMMM! My whole message got dumped again with this site. I'm on my desktop, not my phone... SOOO, I'm disappointed about that. Eh, just me yacking but still, that's what we do, right? I HAVE to get my coffee after THAT one. Again, I have no idea what happened to it.
  • Cindy Hannon
    10 years ago
    UGH! Well, yes friend on Friday from Australia, only for a week. Then three ladies just overnight Saturday while they attend a business training over the weekend. My Mom and niece later October 6-13.... then I get a brake till my son comes home from school in TN with some friends over the Thanksgiving break in Nov. Been busy painting my furniture and will probably go back to painting in the house during that lull in guests... I want to do the risers on the staircase... last year I painted the spindles all black...the risers have little strips of molding at top that needs to be done in the black then to decide what to do with the rest of the riser...think it will get stenciled! hope you have your coffee in hand now... I am working on my second cup and now I am going to "copy" this post BEFORE sending just in case... lol. My photos of the hutch are in my idea book Furniture. O, and one more thing (now I am rambling) ... we found the most GORGEOUS corbels to make a fireplace mantel with for our bedroom for like 1/2 price or less at Lowes... that will be our next project for our bedroom. Going to be black and I think I found one pictured here that inspired me (my ideabook may be fireplace or may be bedroom not sure but it is a black mantel) Have a good day!
  • ruchig18
    10 years ago
    L