Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
michele_welsh

How would you update our house with custom woodwork everywhere?

Michele Welsh
10 years ago
We recently bought a thirty-year-old house with a lot of custom wood work throughout. The wood is a sort of golden oak, I believe. We actually like the wood as it's warm and quite pretty, but of course after thirty years it's somewhat banged up in places, especially the kitchen cabinets. I would prefer not to rip them out and redo them, but we've also had a bad experience with painting cabinets previously. My husband is adamantly against painting any of the woodwork. Is there something else we can do, like have them professionally refinished? Or is there something I can do myself that doesn't require too much expertise? I've been cleaning the wood with something the previous owners left called "McFate's Cleaner and Degreaser" and it looks better after just a good cleaning.

I've attached some photos of the house that we took before we purchased it so not our furniture and we've repainted since then (any wall that is not wood is now Sherwin William's Wool Skein). Would just appreciate any insights into what you would do with all of the woodwork and what our options are other than painting it. Also, eventually we would like to replace the carpet in the living areas with a different kind of flooring and I am thinking of travertine tile in a brick pattern. We do have a pool and a five-year-old daughter so I'd prefer something that will stand up to water, etc. Any other suggestions? Other ideas for how to update the house without just completely gutting it? Or should we just embrace the retro-ness and pray for panelling and shag carpet to come back in style?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Comments (33)

• PRO
    Linda Merrill
    10 years ago
    I think the dated look comes a lot from the lack of contrast. What about bright white walls to contrast with the wood, paint the ceiling beams white to match the ceiling (they conflict with the walls), maybe paint the back walls of the book cases a contrasting color, remove all the wall to wall and opt for tile, do wood on the stairs with a nice stair runner, open up the double openings in the wall overlooking the LR into one opening, or remove the entire wall. Change the banister on the stairs to a nice iron banister and run it across the opening over the LR to create a balcony. The kitchen counters look dated - maybe switch to black granite or a quartz product. Good luck!
    Michele Welsh thanked Linda Merrill
  • User
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    With all the wood, the carpet is actually a relief from hard surfaces, I can't tell by the monitor but is it OLD shag or Frieze (sp?) new shag? I would not put tile in the living space, to cold.

How about a comprimise- leave all the wood alone everywhere but the kitchen. I too would push for painted white cabinets.

I would also paint the metal black on your fireplace. Maybe a non-wood coffee table.
    Michele Welsh thanked User
  • User
    10 years ago
    How about painting the back walls of your built-ins?
    Michele Welsh thanked User
  • Michele Welsh
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you all so much! Linda, I think an iron banister would be amazing and I love the idea of making that wall a balcony instead. Gayle, we actually like the wood ourselves- it's much prettier in person than it translates in photographs. The house is a Tudor so it goes along with the style of the exterior. Margo, the carpet is about two years old, we understand. It's very nice and soft- we actually get a lot of compliments on it. I agree with you about painting the brass fireplace surround. I think that would help a lot. Eventually I have visions of replacing the brick with stone of some sort but that's years away.
  • Darzy
    10 years ago
    When there is a lot of wood like yours, I like a warm white for the walls like Swiss Coffee. It goes with everything. For a more update look, how about just painting the spindles of the staircase the white? Then, the backside of the bookcases the white as well? Or, a nice, light accent color for the back of the bookcase? Or, removable wallpaper there?
  • Darzy
    10 years ago
    Oak with white painted stair spindles....nice!
    Quiet Casual Home: Entryway and Stair · More Info
  • Susan Albanese
    10 years ago
    What is it with men and their fear of painting wood? Ditto for brick! You bought it, so I'm assuming you like wood too. I disagree with anyone who suggests white paint next to wood. To me it just is boring and too flat. Besides, you already painted. I would have painted the ceiling the same color of the walls. There are numerous products out there for wood that can possibly change the tone of the wood without stripping it. That could be a solution, but there is so much wood! Just be careful not to add any more wood to the room. Use metal and glass tables, upholstered seating, and soften the room with fabrics for the windows and throw pillows. Without painting any of the wood, go with the look and don't try to make anything too fussy. Post more pictures and keep us posted.
  • PRO
    Ginger Watts Design
    10 years ago
    The oak cabinets in the kitchen look well made. You could add a darker stain wash to accentuate the molding. In addition, the tile and the granite look too much the same. It would be much richer if the floor tile were a lighter or darker shade than the granite and the patterns of the granite and tile are too close. Use a more subtle pattern on the floor tile. Also, in the living area, add an area rug in the main seating area, over the rug. It will break up the beige floor sea!
  • debbiet55555
    10 years ago
    I'd stain the cupboards a darker color too!
  • Michelle Grimm
    10 years ago
    I would do dreamy shades of white and the wood walls do a lite distressed in a shade of whit or your favorit pastels beams on ceiling paint white the cabinets by the fire place paint the inside a nice color an the outside in a dreamy shade of white.
  • Jack Devin
    10 years ago
    U
  • perky12345
    10 years ago
    Need some colour and pattern in the living area, nothing overly wrong with the wood but need to lift it a little with colour and textures. Disagree on the using white... It will add nothing to the feel of the rooms and they do not look like they need to be lightened.
  • bchic
    10 years ago
    First, I don't think your cabinets are oak, they look to be maple with a medium brown stain. If you do not want to replace them or paint them, your options are leave them as they are, refacing with new doors for a stlye change, or restaining them. The least costly would be to leave them as they are, and my suggestion with that option is to replace your back splash. (Not the counter tops if you are okay with those.) I think an updated backsplash - a pattern that includes some black tile as one of the colors would really tie the colors in your kitchen together. You could even bring in a new color, for example with small glass tiles, and use that new color on the walls - perhaps a green, or if you are bold, a terra cotta color. If your budget allows, replace the counters with a darker granite because of your black appliances. If I am correct and your cabinets are maple, you can restain lighter or darker depending on your preference. Personally, if you want to keep all the wood in your house, I would recommend changing some of the wood finishes to give each room a little separation. For a style change/update, reface the cabinets with a new door style and that can include changing the wood stain to go lighter, darker if you want to. With all your options, I would change your hardware to black wrought iron, to bring in the iron element and tie in the black.Good luck with your kitchen.
  • nighthack95
    10 years ago
    I agree that you need some contrast of color and texture. I also like the idea of the painted spindles.

http://houzz.com/photos/2216697
  • nighthack95
    10 years ago
    Although these built ins are white, I like how the large colored vases pick up on the color in the pillows. Something you could try in your room

http://houzz.com/photos/3386158
  • debbiet55555
    10 years ago
    Don't paint the wood ever! It's beautiful. Paint the ceiling etc.
  • debbiet55555
    10 years ago
    Add accessories pillows etc with color and textures.
  • joots07
    10 years ago
    The paneling is gorgeous, and timeless. When we tiled a wood-paneled room, we used a creamy tile and it looks great. Whatever you do, don't use a dark color or anything that comes near the colors of the wood. Not sure if you mean brick in color or layout, but reddish would not look good. I like the luxurious look of carpet, too. In a few years, I bet it will be back in style.
  • Lynn Birrell
    10 years ago
    Call or google a company called NHance wood renewal, they can do wonderful things with your wood
  • maggiemme
    8 years ago

Get rid of the wall to wall carpet, add either wood floor with parquet pattern around the edges or a short sisal-style wall to wall with large colorful area carpets. Kilims or prints. I love the painted spindle idea and the darker stain in the kitchen suggestion.

• noahmeno
    8 years ago

in the living room, you could paint the wood work in a moody dark gray

• Doc Sennett
    8 years ago
    Add color to balance and create interest. You need a wow factor.
  • snicole1
    8 years ago
    Have some color in furniture pieces, put a color or pattern on back wall of bookshelves. Put it on a foam core board to see how you like it. Blues would look good. Play around with other cool colors.
  • Patricia Earehart
    8 years ago
    Too much tan. You need a pop of color! Red or teal pillows. Introduce drapes in a nice ekat and paint the soffit. Leave the beautiful cabinets alone. Update the hardware on them. Add an area rug to the seating area in the color you choose. Think about finding a cabinet for your giant TV. Maybe a lift cabinet to hide it completely. Too big for the fireplace. Lighten the fireplace up by painting the brick. The room has nice bones...but it's boring.....zzzzzzzz
  • denisedaze
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Hi Darzy what is the prep for painting the spindles or can you just paint them without sanding. I have the same issues. Would love your input.

thank you

• snicole1
    7 years ago

Go to your Sherwin Williams store or local paint store.

their is a liquid sanding produce to wipe on, prime,

finishe s/gloss white.. Use Blue tape to tape around.

• abbyzx
    7 years ago

Are you a painter? I would start with white ceiling and beams. Next would be white spindles and possibly the upper wood area above the bookcases. Choose a darker color for the back of the bookcases and carefully select items to display. Blacken the brass and maybe a white mantel for the fireplace. A light new color for the staircase wall, possibly an off white. The bright white spindle color would also be used on the staircase base boards.

The carpet is much better than a tiled floor, warm vs. cold and loud.

Change out the drapes and go with light filtering Roman shades or something more up to date.

• denisedaze
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Thank you so much for responding and no I'm not a painter any more because of my crippled up hands..gotta love the Aurther..not.

thanks for the info on liquid sand product did not know this.

thanks again

• alexsma
    7 years ago

As for your question about products that might help restore and cover up the blemishes? .... Go to YouTube.com, and search for Howard products. I haven't tried this myself, but from what I watched, the products are amazing and simple to use! I'm excited to restore several furniture pieces. Wishing you the best! It's a beautiful home, and the Tudor style was always mine and my husband's favorite. Unfortunately, we live in Fl and they're just non existent!

• kystone
    7 years ago

Paint, paint, paint!!! If you don't like the stained wood (I agree with you!), then paint to lighten up. If down the road you sell (or for some reason decide you want the wood look again), then you can have the paint removed and stain the wood to whatever color you want. I would opt for wood floors over carpeting. You can find lots of reasonably priced wood products that look great.

• abbyzx
    7 years ago

Hello Michelle, I ' be been thinking of your project and decided to reread your original post. You mentioned a pool and grandchild. Is the entry from the pool area to your kitchen through the room with the air hockey table? I am brainstorming flooring options for that space under the "balcony". What is that space going to be used for?Along with this train of thought, what is on the opposite side of the shared wall with the kitchen?

• quinlane
    6 years ago

No contrast! Brown, tan, beige, and more beige. Wood isn't the problem here.