Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dkotov

What kitchen accessories to use for decorating a modern kitchen?

Denitza Kotov
10 years ago
Would love to see your ideas - jars, pottery, plants etc. My kitchen is walnut with white countertop and green chartreuse ceramic tile backsplash. I am having a hard time how to decorate it ( specially those dead corners ) - most of the cool stuff is really for more traditional kitchens.

thank you!

Comments (48)

• User
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    I like Navy with Chartreuse;)
    Seahorse Tea Towel · More Info

Ceramic Stripe Drink Dispenser · More Info
  • mousemaker
    10 years ago
    I like earthtones.
  • User
    10 years ago
    Ocean trumps land ;)
  • Denitza Kotov
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    wow - those are great! Thank you!
  • joyannello
    10 years ago
    You should add some pops of the always graphic black&white.....
    Mackenzie Childs checkered line comes to mind. They have many great pieces from teapots to trays. Also consider adding a lamp to one of your dark counter corners which will bring instant charm! Last thought is to add either an interesting oversized covered cake plate with dome filled with treats or huge bowl of green apples. The goal is to have fun with some practical accessories to add some life to your kitchen.
  • Denitza Kotov
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you! Great tips!
  • User
    10 years ago
    I am a MacKenzie Childs fan, I have the tea pot myself but I don't think the stuff is geared for a *modern kitchen*. However, if you have $15K laying around this guy would make quite a statement LOL
    Courtly Check Moose Head · More Info
  • PRO
    sstarr93
    10 years ago
    That would be so cool hanging over my woodstove in Vermont.
  • User
    10 years ago
    @sstarr- start saving;)
  • User
    10 years ago
    @sstarr- maybe you could make one out of black and white duck tape.;)
  • PRO
    sstarr93
    10 years ago
    maybe! We have a lot of it here....though I have a regular car, not held together with it.
  • User
    10 years ago
    sstarr- What? what does you having a regular car have to do with making a moose head out of duct tape? LOL
  • lefty47
    10 years ago
    HI - Margo -- You sure like that moose head -- you have posted it before -- perfect for in a Canadian house , fer sure ,eh !
  • User
    10 years ago
    HI lefty- Yes, I do love the moose;)) I am seriously thinking of making my own knock off of this guy. This won't be the last time I will probably post him.LOL If i do make one, I will post a pic.
  • PRO
    sstarr93
    10 years ago
    Well Margo, some people say that Vermonters repair their cars with duct tape. And from what I've observed, there is some truth to that. ;-)
  • User
    10 years ago
    I must have missed that saying;) never heard that. hmmm, doesn't sound pretty lol
  • mousemaker
    10 years ago
    ocean trumps land? where did you get that, Margo? :) are we playing rock, scissors, paper? :)
  • User
    10 years ago
    LOL mousemaker- gotta make this stuff fun,,One, two, three, I had rock, you had scissors...rock crushes scissors...sorry I win. OK we will do 2 out of 3 :)
  • mousemaker
    10 years ago
    oh no no no :) I have rock. I live with rocks!!! rocks are my life, Margo!! Scissors, not so much :)
  • indianpatti
    10 years ago
    I like modern shaped white bowls ... lots of fabulous ones at Marshall's ... have them in all sizes available and I put fresh fruit, tomatoes, etc. in them.

Don't put too many things ... just a few. Looks clean and stays clean a lot easier.
  • Denitza Kotov
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Great discussion! Yes, I would like just a few things - keep it simple but add some color with maybe lemons/lime in a white bowl or some funky colored pasta in a jar, small modern white plant pots on the window etc. Thank you for the great tips!
  • pcmom1
    10 years ago
    I have filled one of my dead corners with a large plate on a stand. Selection is endless! I have seen great modern glass plates with your colors at our local kitchen store. Start shopping.

Another way to fill that corner is with a great mixer in a navy blue. PS: you have to click on the first picture to bring up the image of the plates!

River House · More Info

Bedford · More Info

• lefty47
    10 years ago
    HI -- Margo -- If you do make a moose head , I definitely want to see it !
  • Denitza Kotov
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I bought some stuff from Cost Plus, Marshall today - will experiment once the whole kitchen is done - hopefully in 10 days. Thank you all!
  • Denitza Kotov
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Love the pinot noir jar/bottle!
  • PRO
    Dytecture
    10 years ago
    Very minimal and clean accessories.

Kitchen · More Info
  • mousemaker
    10 years ago
    http://www.fantes.com/
    I am not a rep or anything, I just found this by accident and then found the very t hing I needed!!
    it's a pie pan with a wire bottom.
  • pcmom1
    10 years ago
    I like that pinot noir bottle also. Plus, I have a piece in my kitchen I throw corks into. Only problem is that it shows how much wine we go through!
  • groveraxle
    10 years ago
    Geez, you guys. Except for patti and dytecture, none of this stuff is modern.
  • User
    10 years ago
    Well Grover- your stuff is weird- LOL- :P I mean seriously is that a bowl on wheels LoL
  • groveraxle
    10 years ago
    Margo, my stuff isn't weird; it's avant garde.
  • User
    10 years ago
    OH, Yeah, that's it !! I too am avant garde LOL
  • pcmom1
    10 years ago
    Even a modern kitchen needs a mixer for cookies!
  • mousemaker
    10 years ago
    obviously no one bakes pies either :)
  • User
    10 years ago
    mousemaker- what is this word "bake" that you speak of?
  • mousemaker
    10 years ago
    Margo, you are hopeless :)
  • User
    10 years ago
    Go start reading a few more threads, I am under attack, I tell you....how can I be so misunderstood LOL
  • mousemaker
    10 years ago
    maybe it was the moose head? :) I think you and I provide the humor and other people just don't get it :) or don't see that it's needed..and yet you and I are the most helpful!!!
  • User
    10 years ago
    Speaking of that moose head. It is my mission to make a knock off now. When it is done, I will post, so all can make fun of me/it....I will embrace the poll;))
  • PRO
    NEXUS 21
    10 years ago
    A modern kitchen should be stylish, ergonomic, automated, and functional. We have some really cool products coming out in 2013 and our latest and greatest is automated kitchen storage lifts. No more dead corners, no more wasted space behind drawers. Check them out in action here - http://nexus21.wistia.com/medias/oenuadspru
  • PRO
    WineRacks
    10 years ago
    We have a lot of fun, modern wine related accessories at WineRacks.com.
  • mousemaker
    10 years ago
    if only someone else would cook dinner, you know? :)
  • User
    10 years ago
    Mouse- what are------------------------you talking about? LOL
  • User
    10 years ago
    Maybe you could make a new mouse and name it after me;))) You probably have a Mary Cassett mouse right?
  • mousemaker
    10 years ago
    nope :)
  • Karl Sonakul
    8 years ago

You can use antique teapots just like this :-)