Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
simone_rodriguez41

hello I need help deciding free standing tub or built in ?

Simone Rodriguez
6 months ago

I’m stuck! Not sure if I have enough room for free standing tub …not sure if I should keep the pony wall ? .. any suggestions would be great

Comments (31)

• Einav B
    6 months ago

how much space does your current tub occupy? typically freestanding tubs take less space than built-in tubs. Also, removing the pony wall with a glass wall will provide you with even more space (and a cleaner look IMO).

I did a similar project in my previous master bath and couldn't be happier:

This one in particular was a 67" freestanding tub, but even a 60" tub is more than enough IMO (going to put such tub in my currently remodeled master bath). Just need to remember to account also for a little space (in the corner of / behind the tub) for the tub filler/faucet.

• Kendrah
    6 months ago

I think free standing tubs will soon look as outdated as the tub you currently have. I hear they are a bear to clean behind too. I'd never want one. But, to each their own. I'd be interested in creating a seating ledge on the pony wall inside the shower and for that reason would keep it. I'm very interested in aging in place ideas so this appeals to me. You may prefer to have the space instead, in which case all glass, or glass from the alcove tub upwards would make sense.

• thinkdesignlive
    6 months ago

Think about cleaning the glass on both sides - you’ll need 12” minimum clearance to awkwardly get around the tub ….but hey a clear glass wall will allow a nice view of all the dust bunnies behind the tub. Best to post the whole floor plan with dimensions if you’d like more accurate advice.

• Mira B
    6 months ago
    last modified: 6 months ago

Are you thinking about demolishing the entire bathroom?

I love access to both a tub and shower personally. Whatever makes sense with the dimensions. Would a freestanding tube fit anywhere else in your house? Personally I wouldn't bother with both freestanding tub and shower in a bathroom unless it was really a spacious bathroom. It's a lovely space.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    6 months ago

First:

What are you doing in the bath? Gutting it? Are you happy with the shower size?

Nobody can advise a single thing without dimensions for everything.

That means, you draw and measure the bath as it is now. You include every wall, window, doorway, passage, vanity size, the toilet locale the windows if any, and you post it as a jpeg , bold and very legible in a comment below this one. Is there a better way to get help with a question such as this? No.........there isn't : )

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    6 months ago

"'I'm stuck."

If you think you are stuck now, wait till you put in a free-standing tub. Forget, "relax, lather, soak, unwind." You will spend your days, crawling behind the tub, (yep, getting "stuck") desperately trying to fit your body in a 10" (that's generous) tunnel behind the tub, in an effort to clean it.

In addition, consider there is zero place to put soap, washcloth, towel, etc.

Okay, I am having fun with this, but it's all true.

When you think you might want something, here is a question to ask, "What benefits does this offer both functionally and aesthetically? Honestly, can you tell me what the benefits are? I have yet to find any.

Then only place a free-standing tub looks good is in the center of a very large bathroom, where it stands like a piece of art. Without negative space around free-standing tubs, they don't look good. Function? Not seeing a functional reason ever to add one.

SOLUTION:

In an ideal world, I'd use a dropin tub like you have now. Can we see the entire bath? Any way to bump out the shower to be flush with the tub?

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    6 months ago

Nothing matters without the whole space and feet and inches considered and what the goal of the space IS .Which is first? feet and inches: )

• K Laurence
    6 months ago

You’re welcome to take my freestanding tub for FREE. it was installed in our master bath prior to buying. I really don’t understand the appeal. They’re a PITA to clean, climb out of ( & I’m 6’ ), they ’re a water waster to fill, etc. I’m having mine removed, it’s situated between 2 vanity sinks on opposite walls, having it tiled over & buying a nice upholstered bench to place there instead.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    6 months ago

I ditto all the negatives already stated . Even as a teenager I hated getting in and out of the clawfoot tub we had in our bathroom. I do however love a nice deep soaker tub since I bath everynight.

• Simone Rodriguez
    Original Author
    6 months ago

Oh boy! Thank you for all the comments I def have a lot to think about.
    So yes we gutting the whole bathroom. I don’t have any dimensions yet my contractor just came and measured out the whole bath. The reason why I was thinking free standing tub is because it’s a pain right now to clean the current built in one…having to climb inside to clean the back is backbreaking. I’m removing the tub in the second bathroom so I wanted to keep at least one tub in the house. I was visualizing creating a niche over the tub in the wall to hold any kind of soap, stuff, etc. and yes I agree if I take the glass all the way down and remove the pony wall it looks more open but I also lose space inside of the shower. I’m still stuck on getting a freestanding tub unless my contractor advise me otherwise. I think if I just do a giant shower, it would look weird. I don’t want another build in tub because I would like to open up the space a little bit more.
    I attached some additional photos. Thank you for everyone’s input and keep the comments coming.

• Simone Rodriguez
    Original Author
    6 months ago

This is my vision….white oak cabinets…large tiles in shower to minimize grout …contrast floor color like in the pictures…tiles behind mirrors on wall and toilet, and behind tub! I will do custom cabinets. I found a great contractor in my area who does a phenomenal job, so I’m very pleased with them. Let me know in the common section what you all think! thanks

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    6 months ago

Why are you removing the tub from the second bathroom? Better to keep the tub in the second bath and then use the extra space in this bathroom for an enclosed toilet room and larger shower.

• Simone Rodriguez
    Original Author
    6 months ago

The second bath is so small and I already remodeled it once 15 years ago…I still regret not taking the tub out back then. So this time around I will only do shower with sliding glass door …easy access and much better functional for this space.

• Simone Rodriguez
    Original Author
    6 months ago

I agree… I just use these pictures as a visual…most of the time it turns out much different and personalized

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    6 months ago

Yes, it is fine and I recommend inspiration photos.

I recommend an alcove bath tub. They feel sleeker and more updated. You can get them in lengths less than 60" if you want.

What is the current foot print the current bathtub takes up (not including the pony wall)?

• kandrewspa
    6 months ago

I think in your circumstances (tub bracketed by a wall and the shower) an alcove tub makes sense. One of the reasons your current tub is unattractive is the large rectangular flange. On an oval tub it doesn't look right. It's like that because the builder bought 100 of the cheapest tubs he could find when your subdivision was built. I know my community is full of them too. You can get a more attractive tub to replace it. You do need about a foot around a freestanding tub to be able to get around it to clean. With that amount of space you can easily Swiffer around it and you would have to be able to clean the glass on the shower on that side as well. So if you go with a freestanding keep that in mind when choosing the size. I have one because I have a bay window alcove for it where it looks nice - in our case it is a piece of sculpture since we don't use it. We had a huge Jacuzzi tub when we moved in. In our case the freestanding is a huge improvement in appearance. I'm not sure it's really right for your space. The tub fillers for freestanding tubs are astonishingly expensive, so look at that too while you're deciding. We got a great deal pre-pandemic. What we bought in 2020 now costs twice as much.

• ker9
    6 months ago

You could keep the pony wall and have a niche built in to hold the bottles, which will then be hidden from view.

• BarbieCalgary
    6 months ago

Free standing tubs are incredibly hard to get into and out of. Look lovely I agree but an injury in waiting. Also, cleaning around and under not a job to look forward to.

• Simone Rodriguez
    Original Author
    6 months ago

Thank you everyone for the great feedback!

• Simone Rodriguez
    Original Author
    13 days ago

Here is an update …after asking for some advice from everyone
    I went ahead against all the post that told me NOT TO install a freestanding tub.
    The results are better than I expected…so my advice is …don’t get advice from online lol
    Nevertheless here are some AFTER pictures!

• teresale2013
    13 days ago

I like the look of your tub and bathroom.

Wouldnt do it myself for the reasons mentioned, but the space is very pretty.

• Kendrah
    13 days ago

Well it certainly looks better fit into a niche as opposed to free standing tubs that are floating on off diagonals crammed into a corner. Good wall ledge too. Have you enjoyed using it? Will you be i stalling shower glass or leaving as is?

• loftissm
    13 days ago

It’s really atteacrive, but is it a pain to reach the faucet handles to fill it? i think I will opt against the freestanding when we renovate because I am short, and I imagine climbing in and out will not be getting any easier as I age. Would prefer not to have to be scooped up naked from the bathroom floor by EMTs. I love the look of the Japanese soaking tubs, especially, though!

• PRO
    CDR Design, LLC
    13 days ago
    last modified: 13 days ago

So happy that you are happy with your results. That's what matters. You asked for any suggestions and people gave them. Most of them showed the downsides of freestanding tubs. That was their experience and perspectives. You have a different take. That's okay. Hope you enjoy this now and for years to come.

• Kate
    13 days ago

Looks lovely! Grew up with a claw foot tub and can’t tell you how many times I came near to cracking my head open. Please install some sort of beautiful grab bar or even a wooden step. You get especially more confident getting in and out over time and that’s when accidents happen.

• RedRyder
    13 days ago

Your new bathroom is gorgeous! I

love the freestanding tub and for some of us, the aesthetic overrides the cleanup requirements. Great job!

• Longbranchstitch
    13 days ago

Lovely remodel! We just completed a similar remodel where we opted for a free standing tub, understanding potential downsides. I use a Swiffer around it with no problems and exercise caution getting into and out of the tub. Am sure you will enjoy yours as well. Nice job.

• Simone Rodriguez
    Original Author
    8 days ago

Thank you! I sooo enjoy the freestanding tub, it’s so easy to clean. I literally just wipe it clean like a sink. Btw I’m short 5.4 and the handles are super easy to reach.
    Yes we did install glass in the shower!!

• Simone Rodriguez
    Original Author
    8 days ago

Ugh these are the old pictures from the old bathroom!

Shower glass installed …we love the way it all turned out!

• Simone Rodriguez
    Original Author
    8 days ago

Highly recommend installing recessed medicine cabinets to super practical, keeps your counter clutter free! These are from Sophia 24 x 36! Great quality