Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
smithlaser1

weird space - how to fill?

Ann Westfall
4 months ago

Hi all! I’ve been trying to figure out what to do with this space (where the sad pile of shoes are) for 6+ months to no avail! The previous owners had a small piano here. It’s visible from our front door, so people will see it upon walking in. We already have a seating area and console table elsewhere in the foyer. I’m thinking that another table or bench would be too much. Maybe some large potted plants to fill the vertical space? To note, the laundry room is right off this area, so we already have a drop zone in there, and shoes will eventually be in the closet (once I get it cleared out), so no need for shoe storage or hall tree. Would love to get your ideas, TIA!!

Comments (17)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 months ago

A decnet looking shoe rack or teach the kids to take their shoes to their rooms . You have alove elegant entry whay are thekids even using it . I usually like this type of rack but your space is way too elegant for it maybe one in the closet . We never had a entry closet when our kids were young they just took their stuff with them to their rooms not such a big deal really.

• Iluvdark kychns
    4 months ago

but you said you already have a place for the shoes right? and that they're just their temporarily? A tall plant like you mentioned would work but you have quite a few plants already and it's unclear what kind of sun you get in that corner. Another thought is a grandfather clock. You don't see too many of them anymore but your place is a bit traditional so one might go really well there. Plus I've seen more modern versions as well. I also feel that whole backspace next to the laundry room could benefit from an area rug to warm it up and define it.

• Ann Westfall
    Original Author
    4 months ago

Thanks for both ideas! Yes, shoes will go in the closet eventually- my fault, currently filled with junk! I LOVE the grandfather clock idea - I’ll have to look for something that would complement the house 😊

• oreet
    4 months ago

You already have a console table, a mirror, seating and you say you don’t need anything to house the shoes. I would find a very large painting (approx. 3’ wide X 5’ high). That would cover the space and add interest.

• shirlpp
    4 months ago

Tall cabinet?

• Ann Westfall
    Original Author
    4 months ago

Love those ideas too - the large artwork or cabinet would both look good there I think! The arched cabinet is gorgeous!!

• Maureen
    4 months ago
    last modified: 4 months ago

With the visual weight of the furniture and the very wide molding, if it were me I’d avoid adding a dark/large piece of furniture. Consider adding color/interest with a large piece of art and something underneath might be nice….but keep things light.

If you weren’t tied to your mirror, suggest something lighter (like its location) and reconsider console’s accessories and even include a lamp, as low lighting is welcoming and cozy.

• PRO
    Norwood Architects
    4 months ago

Since you said you don't need another console or shoe storage I would devote the space to some large, dramatic and impactful artwork. Would suggest something large instead of a grouping of smaller pieces. Adding a large plant might work as long as it doesn't obscure the artwork.

• shirlpp
    4 months ago

The floors are light colored. The walls and mouldings are light colored. Something to match the coloring of the console and mirror is needed. Something with contrast is needed. Some of those cabinets that I posted come in different hues.

• ci_lantro
    4 months ago

Large antique armoire?

• Ann Westfall
    Original Author
    4 months ago

Thank you all so much for the suggestions- all great ideas! Totally agree that more contrast is needed- the entire house is very beige. I’ll be looking for some artwork - I also like the idea of moving the existing table & mirror. Only concern with that is it would be reflecting the bathroom across the way - currently it’s catching the light from the kitchen windows. Sorry, the pics I posted weren’t with the greatest lighting.

• thinkdesignlive
    4 months ago

Another vote for art! You have enough furniture, mirror, plants etc already and that just adds to visual clutter and starts to make it feel like a hotel lobby. And make it big - don’t be shy with the sizing.

• PRO
    Betty Wasserman Art & Interiors: The Hamptons
    last month

Would you be open to doing some built-in shelves? That or some shoe storage might work really well here since you already have a console table and chairs.

Southampton Modern Farmhouse · More Info

Modern Farmhouse · More Info

• Ann Westfall
    Original Author
    last month

• Ann Westfall
    Original Author
    last month

Great suggestions! we ended up going with the large piece of artwork suggestion 😊

• Ann Westfall
    Original Author
    last month