Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deterswife

Kitchen window light

Deterswife
4 months ago

Window is 39” wide. Was planning to use a 3 light vanity fixture I like that is 29” wide. Would it be better with a 4 light that is 38” wide instead? Each light is 7”.

Comments (14)

• jck910
    4 months ago

Show a picture of the kitchen and the window

• Janice Thomas
    4 months ago

Here you go, but the cabinets are being replaced( to the ceiling. Cornice will be gone. Nothing above the window to the ceiling. Hope this helps.

• Kendrah
    4 months ago

Vanity lights are going to look really silly in a kitchen. It will look like you ran out of money and tossed a bathroom fixture in the kitchen. I would get a flushount ceiling fixture to hang above the sink. You can use a single bulb fixture with an LED bulb and get plenty of light in there.

Deterswife thanked Kendrah
  • Deterswife
    Original Author
    4 months ago

Thanks for all the suggestions! i appreciate the feedback.

• Kendrah
    4 months ago

When you search for fixtures, search under flushmount or semi-flush mount.

• jackowskib
    4 months ago
    last modified: 4 months ago

It kind of looks like there's no light there now in your sink area, and with a cabinet on each side of the sink, the 3-light idea seems like overkill. One semi-flush or flush mount light there should be plenty. Is there other ceiling lighting in the room to consider? Would be helpful if you can a post photo of the entire kitchen.

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    4 months ago

Another "no" to vanity lights in a kitchen. Just a thought--when I redid my kitchen I replaced one window with three on the sink wall, and eliminated some upper cabinets. It is much more open and airy and provides more light and views to the outside. If you haven't yet started construction, you may want to consider that.

Here are some options:

One fixture with two lights:

Kitchen · More Info

South Shore Gambrel · More Info

Two pendants:

Florida Historic Renovation · More Info

Articulating lights:

Spec House · More Info

One pendant:

Heights Kitchen Remodel · More Info

Deterswife thanked Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 months ago

NO to those just one more pot light there .

Deterswife thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • apple_pie_order
    4 months ago

If your decision is based on how much light you actually need over the sink, choose what works for you. For example, a 60 year old needs three times as much light to see well as a 25 year old. I have a light fixture over my sink with three LED reflector bulbs. It works for me. A single pot light would have been completely inadequate and would have annoyed me no end.

Deterswife thanked apple_pie_order
  • Deterswife
    Original Author
    4 months ago

Amen & thank you, apple pie! Im 72 & have settled on 1 with 100 watt light.

• PRO
    2 months ago

What makes him a spammer?

• PRO
    2 months ago

Oh, thanks, I missed that.