Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_718649902

To paint fireplace or not

Yolanda Hawkins
3 months ago

I have a LOT of honey oak and painting it is not an option. I am trying other way to brighten like a new cream couch on order. Should I paint the fireplace white or an off-white or not? i would leave the oak mantle. All my rooms are open.

Comments (22)

• Donna Wasylyszyn
    3 months ago

Yes, paint it an off white, but a light paint or wash so the red peeks through.

Yolanda Hawkins thanked Donna Wasylyszyn
  • rollh01
    3 months ago

Yes,paint the fireplace for sure.

Yolanda Hawkins thanked rollh01
  • coray
    3 months ago

I like painted brick (but no red peeking through), but I think in your case the FP is consistent with the rest of the look and era of your house. If you were to update the entire space (cabinetry, trim, furniture etc), then I’d say yes, paint…otherwise, no.

Yolanda Hawkins thanked coray
  • Lyn Nielson
    3 months ago

I would not paint your fireplace brick.

Freshen up the wall color and lighten up the furniture and add additional lighting to the space(s). you have a lot of heavy dark furniture and accessories. edit first... then paint.

Yolanda Hawkins thanked Lyn Nielson
  • kculbers
    3 months ago

Your cream couch, on order, will definately lighten up the space. I would not paint the brick fireplace.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    3 months ago

I would tackle the lighting for sure i adark space IMO LED 4000K bulbs are a must .I woul not paint the brick but a nice lighter piece of art above the mantel could help. At some stage maybe a new wall color too. The lighting in the kitchen for sure needs a revamp, if budget is tight replace the one you have there with an LED track light at least. For me I would paint all that trim in heartbeat

• Ruth
    3 months ago

I would lighten the brick with a lime wash or a German schmear

Yolanda Hawkins thanked Ruth
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 months ago
    last modified: 3 months ago

the brick is nothing special. mortar wash it, lime it, paint it.

agree about the lighting

I actually like your leather. I'd leave some of that. looks nice w/the black brick and white walls.

if you're walls are on the yellow side, I'd paint

that ceiling fan though, needs an update. or switch to a nice chandy

Yolanda Hawkins thanked Beth H. :
  • tfitz1006
    3 months ago

I think what drags it down is the brown furniture, so I'd wait until the new couch comes in. Also, the wall color just seems a bit dreary. I could see if you added a vibrant tribal type rug, artwork over the fp and lighten the walls - I'd then leave the brick. Agree to change the ceiling fan. Maybe take a hard look at all the little things, and stuff like that extra chair in the corner, the little trunk, and the things on the hearth and take them away and see how you like it. Maybe when you are done you could think about painting your coffee table.

Yolanda Hawkins thanked tfitz1006
  • RedRyder
    3 months ago

I agree you should wait till your new couch comes.

In the meantime, do you have a single piece of art that is more cheerful? Putting something - ONE something - on the mantle that is brighter will help.

All of these are on greatbigcanvas.com

Yolanda Hawkins thanked RedRyder
  • Yolanda Hawkins
    Original Author
    3 months ago

Great input! tfitz1006—what color do you suggest for the coffee table?

• RedRyder
    3 months ago

Again, it’s best to wait for the new couch.

My personal preference for tables is usually glass with brass trim. If you have little ones, that may not be a great suggestion, but glass coffee tables look “lighter” and take up less visual space.

These are all different brass finishes, but once the couch comes, you may want something with black.

• RedRyder
    3 months ago

Two more

• PRO
    Randy Trainor
    15 days ago

You might just consider removing the trim around the top and look at getting different mantle. Then look at getting a large piece of artwork for over the mantle, something light that will go with the colors already in your living room.

Mt. Washington Ski House · More Info

• Yolanda Hawkins
    Original Author
    15 days ago

Yes! Just last week-finally. It , along with the rug, definitely brightened the room. I still plan to do a few other things such as a ceiling fan. Thanks for checking back

• Andee
    15 days ago

The new couch and art on the mantel make a big difference!

Yolanda Hawkins thanked Andee
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    12 days ago
    last modified: 12 days ago

looks very nice. I like that rug.

as a suggestion, tie in the french doors and paint them. the current bright white really doesn't play w/anything in the room. Not sure what your wall color is, but you could do a tone lighter or darker.

If you feel you must do white, do more of a creamy/beige white. Ballet White is one, or the Divine White.

as an example, I went w/a darker keystone gray just to show you the diff.

here's some other colors that might work.

I also gave you a more modern ceiling fan w/the light kit.

this one is the 52" Minka aire-dyno.

https://www.lampsplus.com/products/52-inch-minka-aire-dyno-oil-rubbed-bronze-ceiling-fan-with-remote__4t454.html

I think a black downrod would also work

this one is really nice too

https://www.luxedecor.com/product/minka-aire-orb-modern-ceiling-fan-mkaf623lbbrsbr

Chriari ceiling fan:

Amazon carries this one^

also this one

https://www.amazon.com/Farmhouse-Industrial-Remote-Control-

light/dp/B09M8C9BK2/ref=pd_lpo_sccl_3/142-4643295-5566246

Yolanda Hawkins thanked Beth H. :
  • Yolanda Hawkins
    Original Author
    4 days ago
    last modified: 4 days ago

Thank you so much ! One question—if I paint the doors, would it look weird to leave the outside white?

• okibujp
    4 days ago
    last modified: 4 days ago

You've made some nice changes. You should add a nice frame to the art, find a nice fireplace screen and tone down the white door so it doesn't stand out.

• Boxerpal
    4 days ago

oooohhhhh I love it. I love that you kept the fireplace. Very pretty so far. Great job

• Yolanda Hawkins
    Original Author
    4 days ago

Thank you so much!