Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nesterhouse

Artificial turf questions

2 months ago

Hi,

Our backyard is long and narrow between our house and a high stucco retaining wall. It is entirely cement (not our doing!), approx 1.5 inches lower than the sliding doors that lead to it. We would like to cover it entirely in artificial turf apart from the raised flower beds.

Here are this issues:

1.) We need something dog-friendly.

2.) I've read that in warm climates (we're in greater Los Angeles), artificial turf can heat up, so I'd like to find a turf that is less reactive to heat.

3.) With the elevation of the backyard relative to the doors that lead to it, we need to find an effective but thinnish base layer/padding & turf, or I'm afraid we'll create an invitation to flooding despite an excellent outdoor drainage system.

If there are knowledgable people here who could offer advice, or if I could be directed to some good source material, I'd be very grateful.

Thanks so much!!!

Comments (9)

• 2 months ago

Are you ok with havjng to clean the artificial turf?

Ann S. thanked richfield95
  • 2 months ago

Costco has several grades of artificial turf.

Ann S. thanked Paul F.
  • 2 months ago
    last modified: 2 months ago

I am in Camarillo, California (Ventura County). I used a company called purchasegreen.com

They seem to have many locations in CA. They have a lot of samples and also people who can install it. I had a contractor I used from another project install ours. I got the Arizona Platinum Olive with pile height 1.97 and love it. Uninstalled it was $2.50 a sq ft. in our area. It is a newer type that does not get as hot. It is permeable for dogs also. When my brother comes to visit his dog loves the stuff. So, I would say it is dog approved.

Ann S. thanked HU-402831377
  • PRO
    2 months ago

We put artificial turf all around our pool deck and all the deck around our home that is almost ground level I actually bout it on Amazon and installed myself. It sure does not get as hot as the deck did before. Cleaning it is really as simple as a leaft bloer and a good hose down when needed I live where our winters are cold and snowy and the summers very hot like 35 C often It is now 3 1/2 years old and still okks like it did the day we installed it. Are you planning on just putting this on top of the concrete ? BTW ours has drainholes every 5 inches everywhere so the wood underit can still dry out and breathe

• 2 months ago

Bought some at Sams Club for my pups. I'm in chicagoland area, so not at hot a location. Works great. Professional install ould be better than my homemade job.

• 2 months ago

A. This is not a DIY project and artificial turf cannot/should not be laid directly on concrete.

B. Did you check the link I provided? This is AT developed specifically to accommodate dogs and has been manufactured or treated to reduce heat generation.

C. You do not want to purchase AT at a box store!! They sell lower grade products that do not have the durability and appearance of quality AT.

• 2 months ago

The idea sounds great ... except for the part that the small backyard is entirely cement, so you will be laying the artificial turf on cement. You can do that, but if it is supposed to be a pet area, the pee will be sitting between the grass and the cement, even with some sort of base layer between them. I think you would need to regularly spray down the grass with water so that the area doesn't start to smell. They sell an enzyme cleaner for pet turf.

I have put down artificial turf area for dogs in 2 homes, but it was laid on dirt with a base layer, so drainage was never a problem. I still rinse the area down regularly with a hose.

• 2 months ago

The biggest reason for professional installation is that the ground is not level. Another is the fit. Given that you have cement, you have eliminated one of the big issues. You can always buy a sample piece and try it out in the yard to see if you like it and whether or not it gets too hot. The specs on the AT will give you the drainage figures. My Sams Club DIY stuff has never had a standing water issue. I have three 65+ lb outdoor dogs who use it. Again, Chicago area, so different. Was not cheap (big area), absolutely worth it.