Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
klcolorado2015

Kitchen faucet off-center with window; design dilemma, help!

Kari
last month

I have a design dilemma regarding the sink base needing to be 5-6 inches off-center with the window. Ignore the two-basin sink in the design I’ve attached photos of; I am doing a large, single-basin sink. So the faucet would be off-center with the window…. The importance of this fact is the first part of this question. Second part is deciding on a window configuration to mask the faucet off-set if we keep the current cabinet layout.

We are in the position of not centering the sink due to 1) Having previously ordered non-returnable cabinets to fit an entirely different layout, and 2) This layout maximizes the usable and functional volume for the kitchen base cabinets, as well as maximizing the usage of the cabinets we already ordered.

Now, if we were to change the cabinet configuration solely to center the sink with the window, I would need to discard the 36 inch 2-drawer base cabinet to the left of the sink, and order a 30” base instead. But, that would mean not only storage loss, but would require two additional 3” dishwasher end panels on both sides to the right of the sink to compensate for the 6” of visible dead space on that wall caused by the smaller, 30” drawer base to the left of the sink. This solution is not ideal for me at all, BUT, depending on how big a deal it is to have the faucet sticking up in front of the window 6” off-center…. perhaps I would consider it. Please give opinions on that!

My kitchen designer feels that having the faucet off-center is compensated by the fact that we made everything else very symmetrical. The window is centered on the wall. The wall cabinets to either side of the window are the same size, creating symmetry. Lastly, the island is centered with all that. The view out the window will draw the eye as it is a nice view.

This kitchen opens to the dining area and living room, so when one looks across at the kitchen and out the window, you will see the symmetry of the above mentioned things, with only the faucet sticking up and being up to 6” off-center. Perhaps not terribly important???

The second part of this is getting the right window configuration. It’s been suggested that I avoid a window that has window panes or lines that make it obvious that the faucet doesn’t hit center. Need to get something that masks that as much as possible.

This window space is 76” length X 36” High. I will leave about 10” between the countertop and the bottom of the window frame, and put backsplash there behind the faucet.

Doing one big picture window, single pane is one option; but, I’m not a fan of the solid piece-of-glass look, plus the fact you can’t open the window at all. Still an option, though, if aesthetically it’d be better….

The designer is suggesting a single pane across the bottom expanse to camouflage the off-center faucet, but then make it shallow at maybe 18” deep (half the depth of the 36” window space), and the put 3 casement-type windows across the top that can be opened via hand cranks.

I marked off measurements with tape on a blank wall to help me visualize this look. Please see photos of this and tell me what you think. Unfortunately the horizontal frame line where the windows meet hits right about eye-level if you’re standing at the sink. But maybe this isn’t a big deal, and the overall look matters more? Or maybe getting windows with extra-thin frames would help decrease that frame taking up space horizontally across the 76” length. Or another option is change the depth of the windows to a different depth split instead of 50/50; 60/40, 70/30, etc….

Open to any other window configuration suggestions as well and all thoughts regarding the importance of the faucet being centered. I’m really hoping it’s not a big deal and we can just leave it as it. But if it’s a huge problem visually despite all the symmetry in the rest of the kitchen, let me know please!

Thanks in advance!

Please ignore the inconsistencies with the cabinet colors and type of window in the design; this is strictly to illustrate cabinet layout and window/sink placement.

My tape markings for a window 76” x 36”. Top of the counter top is at the top

of the wainscoting at 36” from the floor approximately. Blue tape is where the faucet would sit approximately 5-6” off-center with the window. Faucet 16” tall:

Actual wall where window will go. We’ll be taking these windows out, but this is the view outside:

Comments (17)

• Buehl
    last month
    last modified: last month

Will the sink be an undermount?

Is the drain centered in the basin or offset? (Offset is often preferable b/c it gives you more usable space inside the sink base.)

Since centering seems so important to you, the easy answer is to install the faucet so it's centered on the window, not the sink. If the sink is undermounted, it shouldn't be an issue and no one will notice, likely even you after a while. If the drain is offset, the faucet could be mounted over the drain if it would center the faucet on the window.

Regarding the window -- I recommend a 3-window so there's no frame or stile in middle to block your view when working at the sink. Maybe even two narrow on the side and one wide in the middle.

Kari thanked Buehl
  • AnnKH
    last month

Center the faucet on the window, not the sink.

And change all your cabinet bases to drawers.

Kari thanked AnnKH
  • Buehl
    last month

"...previously ordered non-returnable cabinets..."

Unfortunately, I don't think switching to drawers is an option for Kari.

Hopefully, they at least have roll out tray shelves behind the doors - not ideal, but better than stationary shelves.

Kari thanked Buehl
  • Buehl
    last month

Oh another option is to get a sink with two uneven bowls, then install the faucet b/w the bowls. We did that. Our faucet is NOT centered on the window, but I didn't care and no one has ever commented on it in the almost 16 years we've had it.

Function is more important to me than "looks", especially something to trivial (to me) as centering the faucet on the window.

You have a large window space, so I think it will be less noticeable than if you had a narrow window. In fact, I'm not sure anyone would expect the faucet to be centered given the size of you window space.

Very old pictures (from right after the Kitchen construction was finished):

Size of the basins in my sink. Note, the only thing that does not fit in the large base is the 3' long shelf from the refrigerator -- but I don't think it would have fit in a single bowl either.

It's in a 36" wide sink base.

Kari thanked Buehl
  • AnnKH
    last month

You're right, Buehl, I forgot that part by the time I got to the end!

When we moved into a 30-year-old home recently, the first thing I did was add pullouts to most of the base cabinets. Mine are better than typical roll-out tray, because the door is attached to the lower pullout, so it functions as a drawer.

Kari thanked AnnKH
  • Kari
    Original Author
    last month

Thanks for the feedback!

Yes, the sink will be an undermount. The sink I was planning to use has a center drain, but I’ll look into whether the measurements would hit correctly with the center of the window if I

switched to an offset drain with faucet mounted above the drain. I’m not sure I’ve seen any photos of how this looks online, but I’ll go searching!

When you say ’3-window’, would that be your recommendation regardless of whether the faucet is centered? or only if we end up centering it?

Is this photo the style of window you’re referrencing? Sorry, I’m not well-versed with windows!

• Kari
    Original Author
    last month

That is a great suggestion as well regarding the sink bowls.

Unfortunately, I kind of need to stay with a very large single-basin sink due to the huge stockpots I have to wash all the time. Those same stockpots and a few other large cookingware items are part of the reason I didn’t opt for more drawers. But, I do have extra drawer bases in the island that aren’t shown in the layout I posted.

If the faucet being off-center is trivial, then I’m good with leaving it off-center if I need to, because I can keep the functionality of my layout that way. i just needed to hear that it wasn’t a huge design blunder to do it that way!

• Buehl
    last month

Yes, the 3-window image you posted is similar to what I was suggesting - or any odd-number of windows. This way, when standing in front of the sink, you're looking out a window, not at the stile b/w windows.

For an even better/clearer view, skip the muntins (or whatever they're called) so the view is free of any obstructions. We did that at my DH's request even though we have muntins in all our other window. (I'm talking about the "grids" in the windows.)

Kari thanked Buehl
  • Buehl
    last month

No one is going to notice an off-center faucet. I assume you will have a tall arc faucet. When you're using it, it will likely be turned to the side, so it will rarely look centered anyway!

Kari thanked Buehl
  • Kari
    Original Author
    last month

Thank you, Buehl! I’ve decided to go for it with windows I love (3 window look) and either just overlook the faucet off-center issue, or possible install it more to the left on the sink basin. Probably when all is said and done, we won’t even give it a second thought after awhile!

• Kari
    Original Author
    last month

I taped some potential window arrangements on a blank wall. the blue tape is exactly where the faucet would be in relation to center. I think the bottom option is probably the winner.

• PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    last month

What size is your sink? Is there a chance of doing a smaller sink base ( 3") and shifting it to whichever direction it needs to go and adding a 3" filler to the opposite side? This would make the sink only 2-3" off center.

Do you have the actual floor plan noting all the cabinets you are getting? I never think a faucet off center is too bad but the sink and faucet are off cent on a 3 window set up - that will be much more obvious. I understand the design plan had to change, but this feels not quite right.

I think I would order a slightly smaller window that I can center on the sink and then replace one wall cabinet and make it bigger. And forget about centering in the room .

Have your designer put that in the computer so you can see it that way.

Kari thanked Debbi Washburn
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    last month

How about the faucet off to the side instead of centered there are some really cool articulating fuacets that woudl take you eye right awsy from the issue. Or just any faucet that draws your eye to it instead of the off center Why do you show wainscoting this is the wall where you have cabinets and counters no wianscoting at all.

Kari thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • claire larece
    last month

in your rendition if the cabinet before your sink is a 30”,36”,24” see if you can change it to 26,2”,36”2”; then your dishwasher which is 24” the 2” would be a pullout.

Kari thanked claire larece
  • claire larece
    last month

I’m sorry that would be a 24”,4”36”4”24” for cabinets sink pullout and dishwasher

Kari thanked claire larece
  • Jenny
    last month

Go for function every time. If it's kind of bothering you, turn the head of the faucet to the left. It will feel more centered. Consider B for your window layout. That's what I'm doing - with a shelf across the window like this. You'd never notice where your faucet is. https://petitemodernlife.com/our-european-farmhouse-lighting-list/

Kari thanked Jenny