Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tudorsally

living room challenge - bay window, fireplace, tv

tudorsally
last month

This room is in transition, so please be gentle.

What can we do about this weird bay window space?

Also looking for recommendations for an entry table to place behind the sofa.

Cannot replace the sofa. The room is long and narrow and has multiple doorways. We plan to put a frame tv above the fireplace.

Thanks for your ideas and help!

Comments (23)

• PRO
    Mae Day Organizing and Interior Design
    last month

Beautiful room! Is there any chance that we can get some measurements of the room that include the bay window openings and so forth? Then we can draw up the room and give you some suggestions. To begin with can you move the couch back closer to the stairs, put the side table on the other side, closer to the fireplace to open up the walkway, put the small couch table behind the couch in the bay window with lamps on it or plants? What about putting the TV on the wall that has the mock window on it? Hopefully you can give us the measurements and we can draw up a 3-D rendition from that. Best wishes.

• PRO
    last month

Also, please include the width and height of the fireplace. That will help a lot. Thank you.

• houssaon
    last month

I would move the sectional just a bit closer to the entry. Add a long narrow table behind it. Move the TV location to the wall opposite the bay. Move the end table to the side by the fireplace so you have more room to walk. I would be some plant stands and fill the bay with greenery. Get a large print or piece of art for over the fireplace and have less objects on the mantle.

• tudorsally
    Original Author
    last month

Please see my expert (ha) rendering of dimensions in the photo. Room is roughly 252” by 117”.

I’m not sure why, but putting the tv on the wall opposite the bay window seems off…

Fireplace is 50” high and 79” long.

The sectional dimensions are 98” by 98”.

I did move the white table into the bag window area, but it also felt odd.

Thanks again for your help!

• tudorsally
    Original Author
    last month

Correction: 252” by 142” are the overall room dimensions.

• bsgibbs
    last month

We had a 1935 craftsman farmhouse in Indiana reminiscent of your home. Hardwood floors, wide wood trim, plaster walls, arched openings. Unfortunately, a sectional is a bit modern. Can you rotate it 90° so one side is against the wall with the arch on it? Then the windows are sectioned off and become part of the room. Those windows would be a great place for plants.

• tudorsally
    Original Author
    last month

We had other furniture here (sofa and two chairs). But it wasn’t really functioning for our family anymore.

Most plans don’t do well in this room because it doesn’t get a ton of light, even in the windows.

• PRO
    last month

Thanks for the sketch. It helps a lot.

• PRO
    last month

Thanks for moving the furniture around and giving it a try that helps a lot.

• Kendrah
    last month

Where do you currently watch TV? There truly is an ergonomic science to TV placement. It is not just a decor issue. That aside, it seems a travesty to ruin the look of your beautiful fireplace window area with a TV.

• tudorsally
    Original Author
    last month

Current TV room has been changed into a play space. As I said above, things really weren’t working for our family anymore. So, lots of changes!

We don’t watch a ton of TV. And I was hoping this “frame tv” wouldn’t look too awful…

• PRO
    last month

We have built the 3-D rendition. We are ready to post it, but we are concerned about some measurements. We built the rendition using the measurements to posted. We got it then the long walls are 21 feet long or 252 inches. But we ran into some trouble with the final measurements on the wall with the bay window. We don’t know if we’re off on the width of the bay window opening or the wall between the bay window and the front door, or both. We could use your help with this Because the final measurement for the bay window wall comes to 212 inches. So we are off by 40 inches. That’s a lot and can make a difference. Please help us with this by measuring the wall from the bay window to the wall on the right side of the front door. we are hoping that is where we are off.

• PRO
    last month

They do have TV mounts that make it possible for you to pull the TV out and drop it down for better viewing. Of course you wouldn’t be able to have the fireplace going at the same time for obvious reasons. But it is an option when mounting the TV over a fireplace. We are ready to post the rendition and will do that later today. I hope you’re able to help us figure out where we are off on our measurements so we can adjust that before we post it. But we will post it even if we don’t. Best wishes.

• tudorsally
    Original Author
    last month

Apologies! This should be accurate.

Also, we tried the sectional in this spot….

• PRO
    last month

Thanks for the update that sure does make a difference. The couch looks great over on that wall. It also opens up the space and makes it easier to walk from the front door and stairs into the kitchen/ dining room, a whole lot easier. We do agree that putting the TV in the bay window would not be a good idea. It would block those beautiful windows not to mention the natural light that comes through them.

• PRO
    last month
    last modified: last month

More pictures for your consideration. In these pictures you see a small white entry table in the bay window flanked by two slipper chairs. Hope this helps. Best Wishes.

• PRO
    last month
    last modified: last month

This rendition is being presented with suggestions for your consideration and viewing pleasure. The TV is over the fireplace. the couch as you last positioned it. the small white side table to the left of the sectional, a small black round coffee table, one long, thin couch table or two small ones side by side, two built in cabinets/bookcases on either side of the fireplace and additional art or pictures on either side of the window pain to balance out the wall behind the couch. We hope this helps. Best Wishes. And again, you have a beautiful home.

• pricklypearcactus
    last month

I much prefer the sectional against the wall across from the bay window. It's a lovely room with such nice detail work, trim, fireplace, and light coming in from the windows.

• Kendrah
    last month

Yes, it makes so much sense for the sofa to be against the wall.

Can you clear everything off of the mantle and tape up a rectangle the size of your TV to see what it looks like up there?

Are you open to a TV mantle arm that brings it down to appropriate viewing height? We don't watch TV 24/7 either, have arm that pulls out, and it takes as little effort as pulling a chair in and out from a table. These images are of the mounts when pulled out and down. In the up position, the mounts are completely hidden and the TV is flat against the wall.

• PRO
    last month

Sally, Just wanted to say it again, it was really brilliant of you to move the couch to the long wall. We were so focused on getting the measurements right and the TV placement that our Thoughts hadn’t gone there yet. It has really been a pleasure working with you. Best wishes to you and your family.

• tudorsally
    Original Author
    29 days ago

Thank you so much! This really helps me visualize the whole space. I’ll post an update once we get things finished.

Thanks again to all!

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths