Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lis_smith

living-kitchen room light & decor

Lis Smith
29 days ago

I’ve had a hole in my kitchen ceiling for 2 years because I can’t pick a light that works above the table, smack dab in the middle of the area. I also am so over my decor and feel it’s a mishmash of things. Only things I like is the blueish rectangle painting, white washed fireplace and crown molding. I can’t change the black marble countertop. Help me pick a non-intrusive chandelier and some updated decor ideas. Thank you in advance!!!

Comments (24)

• freedomplace1
    29 days ago
    last modified: 29 days ago

I understand why you left it without a chandelier. It seems like a chandelier might block the openness and flow there. Maybe others will have chandelier ideas for you. I think i would just flank the art with some sconces. You can get battery operated sconces.

https://www.decorpad.com/search/art-between-sconces

As far as other decor: maybe a bigger rug, different rug. Something that ties in your sofa and blue chair colors; or you could connect and ground the space by using a rug with some of the wall color.

https://www.rugs-direct.com/Details/LoloiRugs-Masai-MAS03/144788/232725

• barbhursh
    29 days ago

It might be easier to assess the entire room (wall color, furnishings, decor) if you can remove all non-essential items and look at the space more objectively. Perhaps start by moving out anything that you don’t really care for.

• R M
    29 days ago

Too much pattern, too many pieces of decor. Fireplace is very busy before adding ‘stuff’. A patterned rug as suggested is making me dizzy. Think big as in the print in dining area. All of those small group photos should find a new place in your home. Paint the fan white. Perhaps you can find a cross between a ceiling light and chandelier for above the dining table.

• jck910
    29 days ago

What is the white(?) squares on the wall with the rectangular art? Paint samples? I think part of the problem is the gray wall color. It makes the rooms look like a tunnel. Regular height table in dining area may help with chandelier choice. The counter height table blocks the flow of the rooms.

• Nicole at home
    29 days ago

I have almost the exact same floor plan. I think the counter height dining table takes up more visual space, I would suggest a regular height dining table in a rectangle, maybe doing a semi flush mount light over the table so it doesn’t disrupt the space but adds some lighting. As others have said simplifying and removing things is a good start to have a better visual of the space. My space is kind of a mess right now but here is the light fixture we went with, I love it it’s not semi flush but I love the soft glow it gives off.

• btydrvn
    29 days ago

The most obvious thing to address…to me…is the lack of color..all gray has no life..and one color throughout adds to the “tunnel” feel..consider a few accent walls in pretty ..pale… warm colors..i would start in the dining area…as there is more natural light there…this will also add an element of “cozy and relaxed” and a “ glow”…to your space..
    if possible removing fireplace mantle and hanging the tv lower..there …will make more sense for viewing…
    leaving that tv corner empty..will add a more spacious feel to the room…
    Lastly I would move all the wall decor into the “room groupings”..to accentuate/separate the areas

• btydrvn
    29 days ago

Also try the dining table against the wall..like a peninsula..to enhance the traffic flow..open more space at the entry..and offer a more

• btydrvn
    29 days ago

Inclusive feel to the kitchen area

• Denise Marchand
    29 days ago
    last modified: 29 days ago

Your frustration is your eye jumps all over the room and there is no place for your focus to rest. Good design has "the luxury of space" by creating vignettes and not filling every wall. The best way to look at your space is to first remove ALL of the accessories, including everything on the fireplace. (except the large art at the dining area). Take all the photos and place them aside for now.

The simple stuff:

Lower the TV and align the top of the screen with the top of the mantle. Don't put anything over the TV - keep in blank.

Paint the soffit over the kitchen cabinets to match the white. It will continue the cabinets to the ceiling. It's a simple fix and will make a big difference by vertically elongating the uppers.

I also would prefer to see a standard height dining table, for now, the fixture should not be too busy. Think of a large dome or cylinder to define the eating area.

The art seems like it's floating on that big wall. Consider a big block of color behind the art. Don't be afraid to paint the block 12" from ceiling and 12" from floor and 6" on either side of the art. This is a good place to add color - doesn't have to be blue.
    V V V Note the color block behind large art:

V V V V Note the lighting over the table: Large cylinder, dome or ball

• Denise Marchand
    29 days ago

About the room accessories:

All of the family pictures should be in one place and consider framing your favorites in the same frames. The wall between the dining area and the fireplace or the wall around the corner of the large art seems like a good place. Force yourself to stay within one place.

Here's another color block wall for behind the large art V V V V

• Denise Marchand
    29 days ago

Fireplace:

Remove the circular mirror and circular clock and relocate over the sofa. Add art above the fireplace and a collection of a few items. This is another good place to add color in the art and accessories.

Push the blue chair with the occasional table facing the TV and add an ottoman, line up with fireplace - not on an angle to streamline the space.

• Lis Smith
    Original Author
    29 days ago

Wow!!!!! All insightful feedback. I’m on it! Thank you everyone!!!

• Denise Marchand
    29 days ago

Have you considered curtain panels? They always expand a design.

Something ceiling to floor - a simple weave or print on brushed nickel rods. Using the same treatment for the eating area and living area will bring the design together.

• Denise Marchand
    28 days ago

Don't forget to post pics as you make decisions. We love to see!

• Denise Marchand
    28 days ago

One more suggestion: Switch the rugs. The solid one should be under the table and the print at the sofa. The print would look fantastic near the fireplace.

• Elena Zzzz
    28 days ago

Did you consider having a few little lights instead of a chandelier?

• Lis Smith
    Original Author
    27 days ago

I didn’t consider panel curtains till it was brought up here. Thanks!!!

• Lis Smith
    Original Author
    27 days ago

I haven’t considered a few little lights. What would be an example?

• Valinta
    27 days ago

This light fixture (from Houzz in 2019) offered some glits and depth without blocking sight lines over our table which is part of open concept kitchen/dining/living area. Sorry having trouble uploading photo will try again.

• Valinta
    27 days ago

Anyway, it is close to the ceiling clear bubble glass, 3-light edison bulbs. 🥴

• PRO
    Norwood Architects
    27 days ago

Your kitchen/dining/family rooms are nice but there is a lack of dazzle. It might not work but maybe an updated crystal chandalier might add that.

• apple_pie_order
    27 days ago

These are lovely rooms with beautiful countertops and attractive furniture. You don't need a chandelier. Choose a simple solution: Have the electrician install another recessed light in the hole. If a must-have chandelier miraculously appears in the next few years, you can change out the recessed light easily.

When your eye is tired of seeing the same decor, the thing to do is remove the decor. Pretend you are going to paint and take down everything smaller than a basketball. Buy some fresh daffodils to fill a vase. Give yourself a chance to feel the warmth and colors of spring in an uncrowded room.

• apple_pie_order
    27 days ago
    last modified: 27 days ago

Do you like the gold color of the rug in the tv area? It could be a cue to a new wall paint color.