Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sushicue

Never had a stainless steel sink before, now looking into this brand

sushicue
29 days ago

https://www.creategoodsinks.com/

I had a Blanco Silgranit sink in metallic gray and I loved it. No issues at all. We moved, I went with the same sink in the new build. It. Was. Horrible. Something happened and it was really hard to maintain (to my standards = really have severe OCD). It was definitely not the same material as my first Blanco. Even installed a water softener in the new build. Fast forward to an out-of-state move and we're now renovating a 20 year old home. I was considering a stainless steel workstation sink WHICH I've never had and found this company linked above. I'm so worried about the water spots throughout the day or if it is loud since its metal. I'm so particular and scare to dive into the stainless steel world after loving my composite sink which went horribly wrong after choosing another one. Buying this sight unseen is a huge risk for me. Anyone have any advice or suggestions?

Comments (11)

• chicagoans
    29 days ago

I love my big stainless sink and keep it looking nice with frequent cleaning (usually just Dawn and water, sometimes Bar Keepers Friend) and drying with a microfiber cloth. Also I use a sink grid. Look for 16 gauge stainless (lower number = thicker) and one with a sound deadening coating on the underside.

sushicue thanked chicagoans
  • HU-910663146
    29 days ago

Create Good Sinks gets good reviews here, and I will probably buy that for my kitchen remodeling or a Ruvanti sink. I need to make that decision soon and have been mulling that for many, many months, so I can relate.

You mentioned getting a workstation sink. The separate grid on the bottom is usually included. I hate, hate, hate the grid. (I had to buy a sink to replace my kitchen sink before the remodel--not my permanent sink--and bought a cheap workstation one from Costco.) I also hate having the drain not in the center of the sink. I might not feel that way if I removed the grid (things get caught on it and it is gross). Some people like having the drain to one of the sides because of plumbing considerations.

So figure out if you like the idea of the grid. Figure out if you like the idea of the drain located on the side. To me, those were big issues.

You are worrying about stainless steel. You can buy a stainless steel sink with a lot of noise dampening applied it. You can add more yourself both before and after installation (padding or spray on). I've done this, and it is fine. So while I think paying thousands for pre-applied noise dampening is a scam, I do suggest that you pay for a decent gauge stainless steel sink (would not purchase an 18 gauge or take it free with countertop installation).

sushicue thanked HU-910663146
  • blueskysunnyday
    29 days ago

What about your second sink was driving you up the wall? Stainless might be hard if you hated that every drop of water left a visible mark.

sushicue thanked blueskysunnyday
  • M Miller
    29 days ago
    last modified: 29 days ago

"I'm so worried about the water spots throughout the day or if it is loud since its metal."

A stainless steel sink will get water spots. That is the nature of stainless steel. The amount of water spots and how noticeable they are will vary by how hard your water is. But think over how worried you are about this issue - is it really so terrible? If you do think that water spots are that terrible, then a stainless steel sink is not for you. I suggest enameled cast iron for you, with a sink grid to protect it. As to stainless steel being loud - if you get a stainless steel sink that is the thicker 16 gauge (rather than the thinner 18 gauge), a good quality sink will have sound deadening on the underside, so you do not have to worry about the sink being loud.

Regarding a workstation style sink - these are best for larger sinks, but you did not say the size you are looking at. For a sink that is 30" wide or smaller, the workstation accessories will be too small, and the sink will be crowded. Furthermore, the ledge inside the sink that supports the accessories cuts back on the interior room of the sink. Workstation sinks were originally in the 45" size. They became popular, and have been heavily marketed with smaller sinks because the sellers can add big upcharges for them. If your sink is going to be 30" or smaller, just buy a separate colander and drying rack (Amazon has some that stretch over the sink and roll up when not in use, and don't cost a lot). A cutting board is better on the counter anyway.

Regarding the Creategoodsinks brand, reports here are that they are well made. Their big differentiation from other brands is their "seamless drain". There have been mixed reviews on those. Some people love them. Some people do not like them and say the sink drain grunge is now lower down in the drain rather than at the drain opening where it's easier to clean. So this is individual preference.

sushicue thanked M Miller
  • PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    29 days ago

Spray some Stainless Steel Magic in your stainless steel sink once a week or so and you'll have no water or other spots.

sushicue thanked Joseph Corlett, LLC
  • eam44
    28 days ago

Consider a brushed stainless steel sink of the best quality metal, and thickest guage you can afford. If you want to learn more about the metal and finishes, read the web info Dino Rachiele (the inventor of the work station sink) offers. I got my sink from him, but it was pricey.

sushicue thanked eam44
  • ci_lantro
    28 days ago

I am all in for good tools but feel that a quality brand, welded stainless steel in 18 gauge is way more than adequate. Very happy with my $230 something Prime Day 18 gauge single bowl stainless steel Kraus sink, right real corner drain, small radius corners. Note: welded sink, not an 18 ga stamped sink (the corner material gets thinned out in the stamping process.)

Didn't want a workstation sink--first because the ledges for the accessories to rest on robs you of sink area. The ledges are another detail that needs detailed cleaning. The accessories need a dedicated storage space when not being in use.

I have a feeling that the linked sink costs waaaay more than I'm willing to pay for something that doesn't have moving parts. While I am willing to pay for good tools, I draw the line at gold plated good tools.

sushicue thanked ci_lantro
  • Kate Cowers
    28 days ago

Any sink requires a quick wipe down/dry off to keep water spots from showing. I have a dark brown Blanco silgranite sink and I wipe it down after use with a soft cloth or paper towel and it stays beautiful. Also have stainless grids on both sides (full size on left, 3/4 size on right with garbage disposal) and yes, they get icky if you don't give them a quick scrub on both sides a couple of times a week to clean them off. Not a big deal!

• sushicue
    Original Author
    27 days ago

blueskysunnyday

yesterday

What about your second sink was driving you up the wall? Stainless might be hard if you hated that every drop of water left a visible mark.

There was just something different about the absorbency on my second Blanco Silgranit. Running water in the sink would make a darker area, even after being wiped down, all day long until i it evaporated overnight without any use. Hard to explain, I guess. First Blanco, perfect but that second one just acted like there wasn't any type or sealant or barrier on the surface. I constantly wiped it out with a dedicated microfiber cloth. Never any type of cleaner except a quick hit with Bar Keepers Friend as per the instruction that came with the sink.

• sushicue
    Original Author
    27 days ago

Wow! I'm truly so thankful for everyone's input! I never thought about the moving parts/accessories with a workstation setup and definitely don't think I'll go with that type, now Ü My Mom and I use to attend An Affair of the Heart in Oklahoma City every year. One vendor obviously owned a granite fabricator business. He turned all his "sink cut out" remnants into round Lazy Susan's using industrial strength bearings. I paid $40 for one back on the early 80's and loved it! I had high hopes to get my current granite fabricator to make a cut out piece to fit the ledge of that workstation sink. See? Everyone just saved me another charge for a granite cut, now ♥ Again, thanks for the suggestions and experience w/stainless sinks.