Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
betsyjwalters

Kitchen floor tile suggestions

betsyjwalters
28 days ago

We just started a complete kitchen remodel - the only thing we were keeping was the floors. During demo we discovered that the tile was laid on tile… I need to make a quick decision on a floor tile and need help!! The floor runs from the entryway through the powder room and mudroom and kitchen. I do not want wood. My style is a nod to mid century, but in a way that makes sense in a traditional style of house. My cabinets are natural walnut in a slim shaker with beveled edge. Matte black hardware. Bedrosian’s Cloe tile in white, vertical stack. Calcatta Montreal quartzite counter tops. Stainless appliances with brass accents. My entryway is painted navy (SW Sea Serpent). I don’t mind the tile that’s already there, but if I have to change it anyway, I feel like ripping it out to put in the same thing is a missed opportunity.

Comments (14)

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    28 days ago
    last modified: 28 days ago

Mystery meat , no pictures of adjoining spaces, and what is the rest of the flooring in the house? It is hardwood? It's carpet?

A nod to mid century, in " a traditional house" ....Show some other areas IN the house, please

• PRO
    Norwood Architects
    28 days ago

Am a bit confused. You said the "only thing we were keeping was the floors." Has that changed and you are now replacing flooring?

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    28 days ago

Yes, Norwood, she said that "During demo we discovered that the tile was laid on tile… I need to make a quick decision on a floor tile and need help!!"

To the OP: you could try terrazzo tile or Marmoleum. Both are appropriate for MCM homes and come in a variety of patterns and colors.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    28 days ago

"I don’t mind the tile that’s already there, but if I have to change it anyway, I feel like ripping it out to put in the same thing is a missed opportunity.

That statement I think, refers to her FOYER tile which is probably the same as what is in her kitchen, mud and powder room.

I know one thing only:

The fewer changes to flooring in a home? The BETTER.

Which would mean, unless the op is planning to change all to include: foyer, kitchen mud and powder? Use the same darn thing.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    28 days ago

Except it ISN'T an MCM home. It's a traditional home with no pictures in the post of anything but a counter top.

She wants a "nod" to MCM and has a foyer that already has a tile she "likes" with navy walls, and since the kitchen has to be ripped she figures,....and if you guys can figure out what else? I can't : )

Other than she is "exploring"

• Kathy Furt
    28 days ago

Stated perfectly as ususl

• kandrewspa
    28 days ago

Thanks for showing us your countertop, but can you also post a picture of a sample cabinet door and pictures of the space and some surrounding rooms for more context?

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    27 days ago

The whole thing is confusing and honestly you choose counter after flooring and we need context and pics in comment here DO NOT start another post.

• betsyjwalters
    Original Author
    27 days ago

Yikes - some of these responses really make me feel like an idiot when I was just trying to get some help! Everything was selected for the kitchen with the assumption my floors were staying. They run through the foyer, powder, mud and kitchen. I will keep all of the flooring consistent in those spaces. The issue with the floor was discovered during demo. Attached is a current picture of my kitchen - it is not helpful. I was describing the finishes we selected for the remodel. Attached is the adjoining room (cramped and cluttered since our kitchen table is also in the room due to the remodel).

• betsyjwalters
    Original Author
    27 days ago

Foyer and powder room and mudroom adjacent to the kitchen.

• betsyjwalters
    Original Author
    27 days ago

These are my finishes - also not particularly useful.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    27 days ago
    last modified: 27 days ago

LOL and major mea culpa w/ shame on us, but it was confusing.

I'd probably just stay with the same floor. Avoid more rip than needed?

The interior doors, the stair, all read pretty traditional. You're a wild woman trapped in a bit more traditional than you'd like? : ) Put the money toward single panel shaker or two panel interior doors, and maybe paint out the oak stair rail to a satiny black ( a NON color)

Unify all the interior door hardware.....knob. lever pick.

But the doors? Those are shouting " Not you " Answer? Simplify

• betsyjwalters
    Original Author
    27 days ago

The only lever is the door to the garage and that is pure function - so I can open it with my hands full when coming from the car (I prefer the look of the knobs overall). Mudroom door is not typically open so it’s a non-issue for me. The railing is a project for down the road - we plan to replace it in the next two years. I agree on new doors, but all of the bathrooms are the next big project - all of the 20 year old builder grade finishes have reached the end of their useful life. After a thorough conversation with my contractor today, I decided to risk an occasional cracked tile rather than rush to pick a new floor within 24 hours. It’s a lot of money, a lot of time, a lot of mess and a lot of landfill waste considering it is in generally good condition and makes sense with the remodel and the rest of the house.

• PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    26 days ago

I would take the opportunity to go ahead and change the tile. You will have to get into your local tile store to see what they can get you in a timely manor.

I think I would change the size - maybe a large 24 x 24? To give a different design to the floor?

If you just want a good website to look at pictures for ideas - look at Happy Floors. There are a lot of designs there that would go really well in your house.

Good luck