Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
julianaayaz

Layout Help! Planning uppers w/ uneven lengths on each side of window

J Jabbay
13 days ago

Hello wonderful people,

Would love to get your thoughts and suggestions on how to overcome this asymmetrical design issue I have in my kitchen.

Issue: The back kitchen wall has 20" MORE on the left side of the window vs the right. I do want uppers, but not as many shown here - its feels overpowering. I feel it looks off balance with different size upper cabinets, but also understand spacing between window should be even.

The designer planned cabinets to the window, but cabinet maker shortened. A suggestion was to add shelves (NOT a huge fan off this, but could use it for plants/herbs).

How could I make this back wall as symmetrical as possible??

Comments (16)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    13 days ago

If at all possible I prefer no cabinets on a window wall and in this case for sure . Are all you lowers drawers ? I find my dishes and glasses go in drwers quite nicelt and if near the DW perfect. I do have a ton of dishes and glassware I use for entertaining and have those in tall cabinets not right in my kitchen but near the DR. I always stress to my clients that they really sit down and figure exactly where all their stuff will go , I do that before I design a kitchen

J Jabbay thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • PRO
    Minardi
    13 days ago

That is a seriously dysfunctional awful layout that will cost you thousands extra, and make your kitchen be pretty filthy in very short order.

You need to start over and get that cooking zone off of the island to a wall, where it can have some adequate ventilation.

• HU-519768676
    13 days ago

Forget minor details until you have a workable layout. That is not it.

• J Jabbay
    Original Author
    13 days ago

@Patricia Colwell Consulting - agree and think it would be sooo nice and clean to have, but after sitting down and planning where everything goes, a few uppers are needed

@Minardi - appreciate the feedback, but having the stove in the island is personal preference and I have loved it for the past 15+ years.

@HU-519768676 would love more details please.

• jlcorp
    13 days ago
    last modified: 13 days ago

You have one window where the wall cabinets have equal space from cabinet to the window. You have a second window where you have cabinet next to the window on one side but not the other. IMO, this makes the plan unbalanced. If you don't want a cabinet there, perhaps you could do one of those framed message centers that matches your cabinetry.

Also, I think you need to have a focal point in the room. In kitchens, it is usually either the range or the window above the sink. When I look at your plan, I do not feel that the window over the sink is the focal point. I think if you are going to put the cook top on the island, I think you should raise the height of the rest of the island for safety.

As for the cooktop, I also think it weird that it is off-center from the kitchen sink. If you could put the cooktop on the right side of the island it might line up nicely with the sink and people sitting at the island could look out the other window. If the view is not as good as the back window, you could do what my dentist did; plant a small ornamental tree and put a couple of bird feeders on poles. It is very relaxing at my dentist office, to watch the birds while in between treatment.

J Jabbay thanked jlcorp
  • jlcorp
    13 days ago

It would be helpful if you could post the entire room diagram.

• HU-432451269
    13 days ago

This is one scary bad layout. Post the As Is, for better help. But you need a better kitchen designer, for sure.

• jlcorp
    13 days ago

I agree with HU-432451269.

This layout may kill resale value of your home. I get the cooktop in the island idea, but kitchen designers don't do that anymore because of safety issues. So, cooktop in the island could also negatively impact your resale value.

• jlcorp
    13 days ago
    last modified: 12 days ago

Also, you should consider doing a few of the upper cabinets with glass so it doesn't look like a fortress.

• J Jabbay
    Original Author
    12 days ago

Here is the "as is". Please be respectful, I will take all recommendations and suggestions into consideration. Appreciate it :)

• jlcorp
    12 days ago

Are the walls going to be the same size as in the "as is" photo or is there going to be some remodeling done to the walls? Is there an additional window on the right being added or is that going to be where a large fridge goes? Could you please post the complete diagram of the proposed kitchen?

• Tish
    12 days ago

This is a pretty complex and very very expensive renovation. It is quite clear that you do not have the right design professionals involved to move forward with that several hundred thousand expense.

Find a good kitchen and bath designer. Not someone focused on selling you as many cabinets as they possibly can. Someone who talks to you about the overhead ventilation and makeup air needs for such a large range. With a 40-50K appliance package, you cannot afford to be budget conscious on that ventilation. Or the design.

• jlcorp
    12 days ago
    last modified: 9 days ago

I did not notice the size of the cooktop that Tish pointed out. This range is the real focal point of the kitchen and, IMO, should be under the window. Perhaps put the sink/ DW in the island instead of the cooktop? With all the straight lines in your new kitchen, I could picture a curved stainless steel vent hood in front of the window. You could also make it the focal point by putting the cabinets on the wall next to that window lower, building some type of cabinet/ hood type thing that is higher over the window and then keeping the cabinets higher on the other walls.

• rebunky
    12 days ago

With the large (48”?) gas cooktop, I assume there is some serious cooking going on in your house! Yum!

First thing I noticed is that you have tons of countertop space, which is great. But, then the huge cooktop is squeezed on to the island. It looks like you only have a foot or so of countertop on each side. I think my BBQ has flip up sides that have more space then that. That would be a deal breaker for me. However, no vent hood would be an even bigger deal breaker.

I certainly would not expect anyone to enjoy sitting at the island with fumes, grease particles, steam, and whatever else wafting right in their faces. You would need a behemoth of a hood for that size of CT. I am sure you do not want a big ugly hood hanging down from the ceiling and ruining the look of the kitchen and blocking the view. (By the way, is the unique curved ceiling with the round tray staying?)

It maybe the angle of the rendering, but looks like you might be planning to have island seating on 3 sides? If so, you really do not have the isle width for seating on the sides. The plan shows you have 13’6’ measuring from cabinet to cabinet. You actually have less then that because you need to measure from the countertop overhangs which are usually about 1.5”. If my math is correct, that gives you about 40” isles. That is such a shame to have such tight isles in this size of a kitchen. 42” isles are the minumum recommended for a one butt kitchen. 48” or more is best if there will be more two or more working at the same time.

It looks like you are adding a doorway to the left wall. Where does that lead? Pantry? Dining room? Garage entrance? Is that the fridge just to the left of the new opening? Will that isle have very much foot traffic?

You have such potential here for having a beautiful and functional kitchen! This design is not it!

Are you willing to go back to the drawing board? It would be so much better if you would move the CT to the perimeter. You could put two windows flanking the CT/ hood. That way you would still get the natural light and views on both walls. Are you open to moving the CT off the island or is that a definite no?

• jlcorp
    12 days ago

Here is picture of a remodeled kitchen with stained wood cabinets and some upper doors with obscure glass.

• HU-417513365
    8 days ago

Start over.