Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kim_hasty

Mixing flat panel and raised panel doors in kitchen remodel

Kim Hasty
12 days ago

We are working on designs for our kitchen remodel. We are planning on soft white cabinets on the wall and a darker stained island. Below is my inspiration picture. I love the look of painted flat panel (not as much painted raised panel) and stained raised panel. What are your thoughts on mixing flat panel and raised panel doors in the same kitchen, like in the picture below? Is it too many variations (paint and stained and also raised and flat)? Thanks for your help!

Comments (15)

• jck910
    12 days ago

I would keep the door styles the same.

Kim Hasty thanked jck910
  • PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    12 days ago

I think it could work if you keep the counter tops all the same. And make sure that the cabinets are either all inset, frameless or full overlay, with just the door style different.

But then again it depends on how large the kitchen is. Your inspiration photo is very large, but it probably wouldn't work in a small kitchen. Also the island in the photo is the same style/wood/color as the one in the dining area, so there's a consistency there.

I guess that the answer depends on the whole of the space. Post all your choices and layout if you dare!

Kim Hasty thanked Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
  • Kim Hasty
    Original Author
    12 days ago

This is our current kitchen. It is approximately 12 x 12. The plan is to remove the planning desk and the peninsula, putting an island in instead. We will be refinishing the hard wood floors at that time. Below is one of the renderings we like, but I am completely open to feedback and suggestions.

• kandrewspa
    12 days ago

I don't think your kitchen is large enough to pull off multiple door styles. It looks like the end panel is going to be the most visible part in any case. What is the clearance between the island and the perimeter cabinets? NKBA recommends 42" minimum, but 48" is better. Not every kitchen can accommodate an island. Are you going to be leaving the left wall empty? If so, you will be losing cabinet space.

Kim Hasty thanked kandrewspa
  • Kim Hasty
    Original Author
    12 days ago

There is 42" clearance around the island. I am planning on leaving the wall blank where the current planning desk is. We are converting bifold pantry into built in pantry cabinets. We have had two neighbors remodel, each removing peninsula and putting in island and each has commented about how much more functional it has made the space. Here is one of scale floor plan renderings. I appreciate everyone's input and insights.

• chispa
    12 days ago

You are not looking at flat panel, you are comparing recessed panel versus raised panel.

You can also have a recessed panel door that is more traditional. I used this one in my previous house that was a Spanish style. I liked the recessed panel better, a more updated look than 80's raised panel, but I still wanted a traditional look to the cabinets.

Kim Hasty thanked chispa
  • Kim Hasty
    Original Author
    12 days ago

Chipsa, your cabinets are beautiful! What type of wood and stain do you have?

• chispa
    12 days ago
    last modified: 12 days ago

@Kim Hasty , these cabinets were made by Wood-mode in late 2017 for a kitchen remodel. The wood is Ribbon Mahogany in their Sienna finish, but it was slightly customized for the look I wanted, as I was matching some existing ceiling beams in the house.

Kim Hasty thanked chispa
  • PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    12 days ago

Chispa, you are correct, those are not flat panel, they are recessed panel. Most people call them "shaker," because everything is shaker nowadays. As you did, recessed panels with moldings in the recess are a nice way of bridging traditional and transitional.

Kim Hasty thanked Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
  • Kendrah
    11 days ago
    last modified: 11 days ago

I don't think it matters because the room is small enough you won't have the distance to see three sides of the island anyway. The only side you will see is the end panel.

Note that your inspiration pic has a few things going for it that contribute to an open appeal that you don't have in your rendering: Lighter floors, all white appliances, glass front cabinets, recessed fridge, vaulted ceiling. The dark wood island and hood work in a space that feel larger and more open.

I've had a lot of kitchens the same size and think it is important to go for simplicity otherwise the space starts to feel chaotic, as does your rendering. Think about a few of these ideas:

- Ditch the diagonal upper for a regular L shaped corner cabinet.

- Left of the range make wider drawers and cut out the vertical cabinet. You'll get better storage and not all the choppy look. It is fine that the length of the drawers to the right of the range won't mirror those to the left.

- Fridge end panel, skip the two cross rails and make it one large framed rectangle. On the far left cabinet ditch the lower rail too.

- Panel beneath sink, above doors, make flat. Too small of a space for all that beading.

- Items that look better in a kitchen twice the size but don't translate well when you shrink them down: Tall and curvey crown, extra bead on the "shaker" part of the door. Can you do an outer bead but not inner, contrasting hood.

- I'd do the island in wood but not the hood.

- Your island technically fits. But does it look good in this size space? I interviewed 4 kitchen designers who tried to convince me of one in my kitchen your size. I finally went with the 5th designer who told me the truth - it fits but looks like 10 pounds of meat in a five pound bag.

- Lastly, I understand wanting to get the fridge out of the far away corner. But, it is unfortunate that the one window in this room is now blocked by the depth of the fridge. Any thoughts on how to avoid this?

Kim Hasty thanked Kendrah
  • Shasta
    11 days ago

I did 2 door styles, the island is stained raised panel and the perimeter is painted with applied Victorian molding.

Kim Hasty thanked Shasta
  • Kim Hasty
    Original Author
    11 days ago

Thank you so much for all of the suggestions and revisions. You had asked about the refrigerator blocking the window. I am posting a picture of the dining section of our kitchen. There is a large walkout there. The 3 options I can think of for the fridge are 1)keep it where it is, which is right up against the wall 2) move it to where it is on the rendering or 3) do a U shaped kitchen and move it to the wall where the planning desk is. We host most holidays for our extended family. The peninsula ends up being difficult traffic wise when we are doing buffet style. The U shape would feel like to me that you don't really have a serving area. So in the changes you suggested, with removing the vertical cabinet to the left of the stove, I think that makes that drawer base 34 inches. Is that too big? If I have a 30 inch stove, what size hood should we have over it and how much clearance should there be on either side of the stove before wall cabinets start? We had decided to ditch the decorative panels on the fridge as we felt they would be unneccessary and a little busy. I really appreciate your time and input

• Kim Hasty
    Original Author
    11 days ago

Here are some additional photos of the space. The kitchen, eating area, and great room are all open to each other. The access to our deck is near where the cabinets end on the outside wall. We are trying to put in built in cabinets in the pantry, similar to what our neighbor's did. I am attaching a picture of their finished pantry. I am also posting another rendering we were given. Let me know what you think of that. Our stove is currently centered on that wall and hoping to get that there or relatively close.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    11 days ago

Pick ONE door style, reduce the island width to 30 inches, leave the wall blank, forget stools unless one at the end.

The kitchen is too small for the cram, and if the graph drawing is correct and one square to a foot?? You do not have 42 inches all around.

OR........

Show more of the house, what is behind the "blank" wall. : ) Show the half wall entrance to the family room as well......please. Pictures from the other end of the kitchen.

A change to a five foot sliding door would help versus the six foot you have, with the swing door.

Especially with the planned locale of the fridge and a bit more space.

Kim Hasty thanked JAN MOYER