Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
searcher35

Help! Dilemma With Red Oak Hardwood Flooring

Linda Freeman
12 days ago
last modified: 12 days ago

We are having our kitchen, family room, and den’s red oak hardwood floors refinished. They were originally refinished in the honey oak stain popular in the ’90s. Six floor samples were sanded: 3 in the kitchen and 3 in the family room. I’ve attached a pic of just the family room samples, since they’re very similar to the kitchen’s.

1) Bona Red Out parts 1 and 2 was applied to Sample #1 (pictured).

2) Two coats of Bona NordicSeal and no Red Out was applied to Sample #2.

3) One coat of NordicSeal and no Red Out was applied to sample #3.

The samples with NordicSeal appear to me to be pink; the sample with only red out looks good to me, except for a plank that looks greenish gray, which is a color I don’t like and which stands out. Many planks in the room will probably be like this one.

If possible, I’d like to use a water-based stain, or a combination of two water-based stains, that will cover or subdue the greenish gray planks so that they look more neutral brown. (the painter doesn’t think that Bona NaturalSeal or ClassicSeal will do this). I’d like the stain to be as light as possible while still achieving this. Do you have any suggestions?

Comments (16)

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    12 days ago

There is no such thing as a light stain that will obscure several dark boards. A mid ton will mask them, ebony will bring everything to black.

Linda Freeman thanked HALLETT & Co.
  • Linda Freeman
    Original Author
    12 days ago
    last modified: 12 days ago

@HALLETT & Co. I don’t know if you’d consider this a mid- or dark-toned stain, but do you think that Minwax Weathered Oak, which I understand has gray and beige undertones, might subdue or camoflauge the greenish-gray planks?

• PRO
    G & S Floor Service
    11 days ago
    last modified: 11 days ago

You are supposed to apply the nordicseal over the red out. Red out is a pretreatment, not a actual finish/stain. The dark boards will go away after two coats of nordicseal.

Linda Freeman thanked G & S Floor Service
  • Linda Freeman
    Original Author
    11 days ago

@G & S Floor Service We’ve considered 1- 2 coats of NordicSeal on the Bona Red Out prep, but there won’t be enough contrast between the kitchen cabinet stain and the flooring. Sorry that I didn’t post a pic of the kitchen cabinet stain sample before.

• PRO
    G & S Floor Service
    11 days ago
    last modified: 11 days ago

You will have to decide which is more important - pink or contrast. That sample looks like there is pink in it.

• PRO
    Minardi
    11 days ago

Forget trying to make red oak look like white oak. Just apply a light fruitwood stain straight to the red oak and be good with it. That will give you a little color, and a contrast with the cabinets. Warm floors and warm colors of all types are back in style. The pale death overbleached pink floor look has just about run it's course. Fashion is turning to the classic deep colors of the Brazillian Cherry and darker stained oaks. Which never really went away in the high end homes.

• Linda Freeman
    Original Author
    11 days ago

@Minardi We’re going with what we like rather than what’s in style 😊

• PRO
    Minardi
    11 days ago

Sure. When people say that, they are always talking about the latest style that infiltrated their brains without them having loved it for 20 years. Try loving warm golden oak, and I might believe that you aren't a marketing victim.

• PRO
    Zumi
    10 days ago

Just do a waterborne clear coat over the natural oak. That will far outlast the whitewash look, and is easier to work with for other design components.

Linda Freeman thanked Zumi
  • Linda Freeman
    Original Author
    10 days ago
    last modified: 10 days ago

@Zuma Would you suggest Bona NaturallSeal? I really am trying to mask or mute the green gray boards, because they really stand out too much for my taste, and I don’t know if one or two coats of the NaturalSeal will do that. Plan to use Bona Traffic HD as the top coat.

• millworkman
    10 days ago

You had a flooring pro answer you. Be careful taking advice from others.

Linda Freeman thanked millworkman
  • Linda Freeman
    Original Author
    10 days ago
    last modified: 10 days ago

@millworkman You make a good point, but all the respondents listed as pros are giving me different advice!

• millworkman
    10 days ago

Like I said, list to the guy who has "floors" in his screen name.

• Linda Freeman
    Original Author
    10 days ago

@millworkman Ohhhh…that makes sense! @G & S Floor Service wrote that I have to decide whether pink or contrast is more important to me. He or she is correct in stating that my samples without Bona Red Out prep appear pink. I decided that contrast is more important, and the painter will do

1) sample of Bona Red Out prep with 50% Weathered Oak/50% Fruitwood

2) sample of Bona Red Out prep with 50% Rustic Beige/50% Fruitwood.

I want to avoid red-orange undertones, and hope this works. Any input is appreciated.

• ecgb
    18 hours ago

Linda, can you please post photos of your 2 new samples? I’m in the same predicament.