Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
grandmam

HELP! Need help tying everything together in cottage living room

Mamma Phil
10 years ago
Main colors are yellow, aqua, and coral, with lime green. I don't know what to do to make this living room complete. Everything is "piecey". What do I do to tie things together? By the way the TV and "stand" were for purposes of staging. Also there's a coral and cream chair not pictured. Ottoman? Cocktail and end tables? Window treatments? Colors and finishes? HELP.... Please.

Comments (34)

• Barbie
    10 years ago
    A tv cabinet similar to this would look nice and add some color. Are you looking to paint the walls? I realize this cabinet clashes but I think making the walls neutral would look better in this space, something beige or gray. Love the colors you are working with.
    Mamma Phil thanked Barbie
  • User
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    I think you have too many main colors for the room which makes it feel not pulled together. I would stick with three main colors. Possibly blue, yellow and white since the walls are painted yellow if you're keeping them that color, aqua or blue given the color of the couches and white. If possible maybe slipcovering the chair that isn't shown in white fabric. I would have pillows and other accents in the three main colors as the base, even if with a pattern that includes other colors. II would add a tv stand in white, and white cotton or linen drapes. I would go with a round or square coffee table either in a rustic light wood or something with some texture in a light brown.
    Here's some fun ideas for a coffee table for a cottage:

http://www.potterybarn.com/products/seagrass-round-coffee-table/?pkey=ccoffee-tables&

http://www.overstock.com/search?keywords=coffee+table&sortOption=Relevance&refinematerial=Wood&searchtype=Header#Home-Garden/Hamshire-Wooden-Barrel-Coffee-Table/7928328/product.html?refccid=VTSXAVQYDU5YTYCMKDJ6Q5OFSA&searchidx=19
    Mamma Phil thanked User
  • User
    10 years ago
    Just wanted to add that painting a neutral color would give you more options. If wanting to keep the chair with coral and cream, I would consider painting the walls a cream color, with cream color drapes, either solid or a pattern with cream - perhaps a natural linen, and having your three primary colors as cream, aqua and coral, with other colors as accents.
  • Geneviève
    10 years ago
    The pale blue sofas are an inspiration for this cozy living room ,so I have searched a bit for ideas and came up with this one ,paint the walls a buttery colour including the trims ,they don't really need to be another colour ,this will make the walls look fuller and not chopped up ,its a bit difficult to explain ,the ceiling can be painted in a different colour ,here is the picture of an idea that I have fond , I will add to this as I find other things including the paint

Lake Cabana · More Info

walls
    melted butter CSP-905 · More Info

ceiling
    Aviary Blue SW6778 by Sherwin-Williams · More Info

Harbor View Entertainment Credenza · More Info

Cori Dantini Make A Little Memory Throw Pillow, 26x26 · More Info

Inverted Box Pleat Curtain, Yosca Blue · More Info
    Mamma Phil thanked Geneviève
  • lnsail
    10 years ago
    It looks like you already have the "buttery yellow" color on your walls that is suggested by Genevieve above - but the paneling of the walls makes it appear striped (in the photo)? I think adding the blue by painting it on your ceiling as suggested would tie things together nicely. A low white console for the TV would be just right.
    Mamma Phil thanked lnsail
  • lnsail
    10 years ago
    I would leave out the dark yellow pillows.
    Mamma Phil thanked lnsail
  • Amy Stanley
    10 years ago
    Where is the chair? I think you could paint your tv stand in a lime green or aqua and try to find an area rug to tie it together.
    Mamma Phil thanked Amy Stanley
  • Mamma Phil
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Hi Everyone, thank you so very much for the wonderful input I've received so far. I may have trouble painting the ceiling as it peaks off center in the living room and slopes into the kitchen. The panelling was just painted so I don't think the Mr. would be too happy if I asked to repaint it. I could however paint the trim yellow. I think I may have too many colors and am a loss what to do next. Here's a pic of the chair...it's still wrapped b/c we're taking it to the cottage, but you can get a sense of the color. Thanks again for your ideas, I need all the help I can get. BTW this is a long rectangular room. Sliders to the right and the other half of the room is to the right of sliders. Continue sending your ideas...please.
  • Mamma Phil
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Here's the coral and cream chair
  • User
    10 years ago
    Love the chair - and great coral pattern as well. I would keep your main colors the yellow, aqua and coral. As well as the white./ivory neutral. Think you need to pick up the colors in other areas and repeat them. For instance, perhaps a coral painted tv stand or painted coffee table. Art with blue and coral on the television wall. Yellow and coral pillows for the couches, etc. - to tie it together more. Your colors are fairly muted I would work to keep other accents the same softer shades of your wall, sofa and chair colors, rather than anything too vibrant.
  • PRO
    Perth Interiors
    10 years ago
    Agree with Insail and collettec,

A low off white TV unit
    Remove the yellow lime cushions
    Large area rug and
    A couple of side tables.
    Accents in cushion and accent chair colours
    Rectangular coffee table or two square ottomans
    I would also move the left sofa back a bit so the back lines up with the wall
    Drapes the same colour as the wall
    Maybe replace fan with an off white one or light fitting

Lovely chair :)
  • PRO
    Lydia (Kazza Design)
    10 years ago
    I agree with Abbyjean about the L layout. You could put the coral chair on the window wall. For your design, I'm thinking more of a chic rustic cottage feel instead of a beachy theme. I think your colours should be blue and coral. Bring in some dark pieces to warm up the space. A dark ceiling fixture will ground the room. These linen curtains have a subtle coral design but still keep the cottage feel.
  • PRO
    Lydia (Kazza Design)
    10 years ago
    A linen ottoman (this one has storage) to go with the curtains and a neutral rug. Just like the "branch" chandelier I posted, bring in some lamps inspired by nature.
    Mamma Phil thanked Lydia (Kazza Design)
  • mountie
    10 years ago
    I think you need to start over with the throw pillows. Once you add the coral chair, both the patterns and colors won't match. Add large art with complementary colors on the wall on both sides of the tv. Neutral linen drapes to frame the window. You also need lighting in the room.
    Mamma Phil thanked mountie
  • PRO
    Stanton Designs-online design services
    10 years ago
    Try not to be so matchy matchy. For example, you don't need to have the same pillows and same amount of pillows on both sofas.
    Mamma Phil thanked Stanton Designs-online design services
  • hayleigh28
    10 years ago
    I think you should start over, paint the walls a beige or white. Invest in a new tv stand, yours looks like it belongs outdoors. The sofas look kind of stiff and uncomfortable, seems like you sit up too straight in them. Maybe add some of the jewel tones to the room, you know navy, green and burgundy.
    Mamma Phil thanked hayleigh28
  • Lauren Cooper
    10 years ago
    love the chair! I aggree with painting the walls a neutral... perhaps even just white if the lighting in the room can take it? if not then a warm (but not to yellow) off white/beige
    Also a simple rug thats big enough to just touch all the chairs would join the space together and a lower tv unit :) I love all the colours though!
    Mamma Phil thanked Lauren Cooper
  • Deenie Swierbut Phillips
    10 years ago
    Hey this living room looks familiar!!! I LOVE IT!! Regarding the comment about 3 main colors...I just read something that you should have 3 colors in a room with about 60% of the room/decor being one color, 30% of another and 10% of the third color. Have you heard of this before??

I'm going to have to hire you as my interior decorator!! So get ready to do this all over again :) Love you mom!
    Mamma Phil thanked Deenie Swierbut Phillips
  • PRO
    Sustainable Dwellings
    10 years ago
    I guess an area rug with those combinations could help.?.
    Mamma Phil thanked Sustainable Dwellings
  • abbyjean
    10 years ago
    Katie......how sweet are you!!!
  • Mamma Phil
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Oh my gosh! I'm so blessed to have such a wonderful daughter. Thank you sweetheart for your comments and for ALL your help with our little project. What difference does decorating the cottage make when I get to share it with my awesome daughter and her fam. Love you back, Katie
    And thanks again to everyone who weighed in on my cottage decorating dilemma.
  • PRO
    HVL Interiors LLC
    10 years ago
    Your room feels “piecey” because it doesn’t have a focal point. We suggest investing in an armoire to hide the TV and anchor the space. Replacing the ceiling fan with a decorative light or a more inconspicuous fan and neutralizing the walls will work wonders. An interesting woven fabric covering an ottoman would add some spunk, and help you begin to layer both primitive (character pieces) and refined touches (your coral chair), whereas right now it reads a little flat.
    Mamma Phil thanked HVL Interiors LLC
  • Mamma Phil
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you so much for your comments. I'm afraid I won't be able to repaint the walls, they are a soft butter yellow color. But I really like the ideas of an amoire (what finish/color?), anchoring the space, and replacing the fan. I was skeptical about yet another fabric in the room for an ottoman. I'd prefer an ottoman but I was thinking along the lines of a wooden coffee table but there again what finish/color? What would you do with the windows? This is a manufactured home so the windows are low. Just a few more words of advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time and effort.
  • PRO
    HVL Interiors LLC
    10 years ago
    For the armoire, we would suggest a light to medium pine to warm up the room -- would look nice against the butter. For the windows, we recommend a cafe curtain of white linen or white wooden blinds. For a coffee table, a distressed painted piece or an ottoman in a loose, vintage feeling woven stripe (see photo). Hope this is helpful!
    Mamma Phil thanked HVL Interiors LLC
  • Mamma Phil
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thank you so very much for helping me out with this dilemma of a living space at our cottage. I like your ideas above and am on the hunt for your suggestions. If coffee table, what color? Thanks again.
  • PRO
    HVL Interiors
    10 years ago
    Perhaps a sage-y to olive-y green. Again, we feel it should be a bit glazed, distressed or scraped to look a bit warn/ vintage and have some character/ depth. Glad we could help!
    Mamma Phil thanked HVL Interiors
  • PRO
    TVCoverUps
    10 years ago
    I think some art or mirrors would add to the room- one solution to do that is TVCoverUps.
    Framed art(including your own) or mirror adds to the room's decor with the hidden TV, Wires, & Entertainment Consoles beneath.
    See how EASY it really is :
  • everdebz
    9 years ago
    Curious if you added an area rug and why not?!
  • abbyjean
    9 years ago
    OLD post..........
  • everdebz
    9 years ago
    Abbyjean they fall off the décor planet?! I saw it was old, but I wondered if they might still receive 'new post' in an email? yes, no?
    I think I'll stop then.
  • Kirk
    8 years ago

Since you want to keep the existing furniture you have no choice but to change paint and possibly flooring. Also, consider new accessories to tie colors together. We have tools on our website that will help, not to mention user/designers you can connect with.

Kirk, MVH

• Belle La Vue
    8 years ago

Kelley green and aqua can not coexist easily because they are of a different Chroma. When pairing with aqua I would go with soft colors like a bit of light coral of the same brightness level. It starts to get tricky when you have multiple colors like you have here. If the colors where are the same level of intensity you may have been able to pull off a multi color scheme but you are trying to mix pale yellow walls and a very bright yellow-almost gold pillow and the pale Aqua of the sofas with bright pillows. The bright yellow, red and green pillows do not work with the very soft Aqua and pale yellow. In addition the rug seems to bring in yet another color of beige. There are too many colors ways and that is why it doesn't feel pulled together. Pare down to 2 or three colors at the most. First, get rid of the toss pillows then you are only left with the white trim, Aqua couch, beige -ish rug and the yellow walls. Okay now to make This work you need to either get a new rug or paint the walls. Assuming you can paint the walls white that would leave you with a scheme of beige, Aqua and white---tie all your accessories into those colors and you will see it come together. Or you could keep the walls pale yellow and get a different rug then your scheme would be Aqua, white, and pale yellow again tying all your accessories to those colors only. Once you get to the place where your room holds a cohesive color scheme you may be able to bring in a small bouquet of flowers or other small accessory to add that tiny bit of another color for a little oomph.

• rocketjcat
    8 years ago
    Old post.